Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror - I've only gone and done it!!

Bassmonkey

Been gassing for this for a while. Sold some no longer needed Ampeg gear and went to "try" the Bass Terror.................next thing - loading that and the SP212 cab in to the car. 15% off and pre VAT increase - was a no brainer. Blimey it is lovely. Loud as can be, tiny and relatively simple sound variant options which suits me perfectly.

It still amazes me though that when you buy nearly a grands worth of kit, the retailers still dont automatically include a cable. The guy who sold me it was great though, when I questioned it - he agreed to let me have the one I'd used in demo (even though it's a 30 footer!)

Out with the soldering iron this aft then to shorten it.

I have gone from the ridiculous to the sublime over the last 3 years. Was Ampeg 8x10 and SVT 450 back breakers to Orange 2x12 which can easily be carried in one hand. Must be getting old.

Watch out for flightcased Ampeg SVT 450H and Ampeg B200R both owned from new by me with receipts and cases up for sale shortly

Andy

I also acquired mine recently with the 15% discount code at soundslive. I took it to rehearsal last night & blew my bandmates away. It descended into Orange-y jokes ("It's too orangey for crows" - a comment presumably lost on anyone under 25?) but the thing ruled. I too am toying with the idea of selling my bigger cabs but I'd still like a big Orange cab for the bigger shows. Oh & mine is the SP210 as opposed to the SP212.

Enjoy

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1073692' date='Dec 31 2010, 02:07 PM']I also acquired mine recently with the 15% discount code at soundslive. I took it to rehearsal last night & blew my bandmates away. It descended into Orange-y jokes ("It's too orangey for crows" - a comment presumably lost on anyone under 25?) but the thing ruled. I too am toying with the idea of selling my bigger cabs but I'd still like a big Orange cab for the bigger shows. Oh & mine is the SP210 as opposed to the SP212.

Enjoy[/quote]

Ha - my band members are just shaking theit heads in a "I knew he wouldn't be able to resist" kind of way.

Just shortened the 30FT Speakon and it all works.

I went for the 2x12 purely cos I have a 19" 1U case with tuner and transceiver in it that has to fit on top of the cab and 2x10 was a bit narrower. It may have to go underneath the lot yet.

Here's a couple of pics. Yes, I know I am a bit over excited !!

Happy New Year all
Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='1073722' date='Dec 31 2010, 02:44 PM']Ha - my band members are just shaking theit heads in a "I knew he wouldn't be able to resist" kind of way.

Just shortened the 30FT Speakon and it all works.

I went for the 2x12 purely cos I have a 19" 1U case with tuner and transceiver in it that has to fit on top of the cab and 2x10 was a bit narrower. It may have to go underneath the lot yet.

Here's a couple of pics. Yes, I know I am a bit over excited !!

Happy New Year all
Andy[/quote]

thats a lovely Les Paul, wish Gibson made their basses that pretty.

Im really considering the orange head with 210. I dont overly enjoy the prospect of luggin the ampeg gear around at gig time!!!!!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1073762' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:35 PM']thats a lovely Les Paul, wish Gibson made their basses that pretty.

Im really considering the orange head with 210. I dont overly enjoy the prospect of luggin the ampeg gear around at gig time!!!!![/quote]
Yeah the LP is an old 70s Antoria. I completely renovated it recently with new hardware and EMGs. Agree, dunno why Gibson don't make them that pretty. 2x12 a it's the new 8x10 !!!

Them purty amps. I've done quite a bit of recording g**tars over the years, and my the easiest tones to record come from an Orange Tiny Terror and a 4x12. Period. Just a great sound. With this in mind I've toyed with getting rid of my LH1000 head and using the Bass Terror head instead, I know that (on paper at least) there's a massive drop in power output ratings, but that's not really an issue. How do you guys reckon the Terror would stack up into a Hartke Hydrive 410 cabinet?

PS I reckon my wife wouldn't notice ANY change of amp apart from an Orange, Everything else seems to be the ubiquitous black / grey, so no massive change visually.

Edited by paul_5

Yep, I went and did it a few months back. Couldn't wait for the 15% discount so acquired one second hand from here.

Great amp! Just was I was looking for. Punchy as hell, the tone you want as soon as you plug in, looks cool, and is damn loud.

Found myself forever fiddling with all my solid-state amps to get 'that sound', which of course changed from venue to venue. But this thing seems to get it right ever time, tighty, punchy low end with definition.

And it weighs nothing!

I use mine with the Ashdown Little Bastard 2x12 cab, which seems to suit it very well.

Only downside is I have to keep the amp in front of the van on the way to venues, as I'm afraid it'll get squashed in the back!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1073762' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:35 PM']thats a lovely Les Paul, wish Gibson made their basses that pretty.

Im really considering the orange head with 210. I dont overly enjoy the prospect of luggin the ampeg gear around at gig time!!!!![/quote]
I'm probably missing something here, but when did you flog the Porta Bass rig?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1073992' date='Dec 31 2010, 08:28 PM']Them purty amps. I've done quite a bit of recording g**tars over the years, and my the easiest tones to record come from an Orange Tiny Terror and a 4x12. Period. Just a great sound. With this in mind I've toyed with getting rid of my LH1000 head and using the Bass Terror head instead, I know that (on paper at least) there's a massive drop in power output ratings, but that's not really an issue. How do you guys reckon the Terror would stack up into a Hartke Hydrive 410 cabinet?

PS I reckon my wife wouldn't notice ANY change of amp apart from an Orange, Everything else seems to be the ubiquitous black / grey, so no massive change visually.[/quote]

Get the bass terror 1000w!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Orange-Terror-Bass-1000~ID~13655.asp"]HERE[/url]

The cabs aren't as efficient as other designs, but they'll go very loud with lots of power going into them. It's been said that in speaker design you can only have 2 out of 3 when it comes to small size, deep lows, and high sensitivity, and these cabs sacrifice the latter.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='1074011' date='Dec 31 2010, 08:45 PM']Get the bass terror 1000w!

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Orange-Terror-Bass-1000~ID~13655.asp"]HERE[/url][/quote]

no way is it only a 100bucks extra for a further 500watt output,,,thats so bloody tempting.

Plus the option of 500 or 1000 output and 4 or 8ohm impedance.

Damn thats got my debit card nervous!!!!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1075216' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:43 PM']I had a Terror 500 for a while. Having not been able to put both volume and gain on more than 2, in gig situations, I can`t see why the Terror 1000 has been made. It would probably cause the O2 Arena to collapse![/quote]

and heres the pun

wow, that really speaks [u]volumes[/u] about this amp. :)

Jokes aside its a really tempting purchase.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1075216' date='Jan 2 2011, 12:43 PM']I had a Terror 500 for a while. Having not been able to put both volume and gain on more than 2, in gig situations, I can`t see why the Terror 1000 has been made. It would probably cause the O2 Arena to collapse![/quote]
You probably have a heavier attack with a pick? Playing fingerstyle I had to have mine on about 5 volume and 2/3 for gain just in rehearsal but then I have a lighter touch. So I can understand it a bit more than I thought.

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1074444' date='Jan 1 2011, 03:31 PM']Ooh, I love it.

Bassmonkey... how loud are these really? I've got the use of a Trace AH150 head and Trace 2x10 ported cab. It's punchy over a pretty enthusiastic drummer but the sound is... well, Trace. Can these little stacked 2x12 cabs compete?[/quote]

Trust me, they are very, very loud. Have only tried in th shop and at hoem though, it debuts on Sarurday night. I am hoping not to be disappointed....will letya know if I am