Why become a member? ×

Can super fancy playing be worth listening to?

Dom in Dorset

Funny - I was sure it would be him before I clicked the link. I'm the last person to sing the praises of "stunt bassists" but Dal Farra's in another league. I was lucky enough to first encounter him busking in Barcelona a couple of years ago & was just transfixed - he manages to make what is (IMO) usually a vulgar, cluttered & unmelodic playing technique musical, expressive & captivating. Probably the best & most interesting solo bassist I've heard.

Jon.

Technically he's brilliant, and it's a virtuoso performance - especially given that he's just standing there in the street with bored shoppers walking past and ignoring him. So ... respect.

But. It's a solo performance and I can't/won't see the bass guitar as a solo instrument.

The fact that some musicians are sufficiently talented to produce a decent solo performance from an unsuitable instrument is not enough to make me want to listen to it, still less to try to copy it. If I wanted to play stuff like that, I'd be learning to play guitar or piano (both of which I have spent {inadequate} time on in the past), not bass.

I wonder if he'd have the patience and self-restraint to play [i]Sharp Dressed Man[/i]?

in answer to the OP, then yes. This video is very 'listenable' in my book; the fact that this stuff is [i]musical[/i], and the techniques and chops enhance the music, and not strangle it, help enormously. I very much enjoyed it, thanks for posting it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1069737' date='Dec 26 2010, 06:45 PM']But. It's a solo performance and I can't/won't see the bass guitar as a solo instrument.[/quote]

Surely any instrument, played in isolation, becomes a 'solo' instrument? I'm no fan of over-the-top bass solo playing for it's own sake - but if someone can demonstrate their virtuosity in an impressive yet tuneful way, then they have my respect.

I agree about "Sharp dressed man" though... :)

[attachment=67211:commode.jpeg]

The above Chippendale commode recently sold at Sotheby's for £3.8m. It's quite clearly a masterpiece, requiring the utmost patience and finest skill to create such an exquisite and unique object.

I can look at it and wonder at the skill of the craftsman who created it. I can be astonished that anyone could create such an intricate object with only hand tools. I can freely acknowledge it is a work of great art.

Do I like it? Not at all.

On the subject of fancy playing being worth listening to, Victor Wooten is the king of this. His stuff is just insane, and so hard to copy convincingly. Yet he has perhaps the most easily identifiable "voice" of any bassist since Jaco and he never struggles to produce catchy melodies. I think he really needs to get back to his bass prowess rather than focusing on so many "band" arrangements but thats another story...

...in the meantime, I am always awed by this performance.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1070415' date='Dec 27 2010, 07:37 PM'][attachment=67211:commode.jpeg]

The above Chippendale commode recently sold at Sotheby's for £3.8m. It's quite clearly a masterpiece, requiring the utmost patience and finest skill to create such an exquisite and unique object.

I can look at it and wonder at the skill of the craftsman who created it. I can be astonished that anyone could create such an intricate object with only hand tools. I can freely acknowledge it is a work of great art.

Do I like it? Not at all.[/quote]
Ha! this is perfect!!!!!

i love his skills, and i can appreciate it.. but i like to be taken on a journey with a bass solo.. he didnt take me anywhere... musical maybe, direction....erm..

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1070442' date='Dec 27 2010, 07:59 PM']On the subject of fancy playing being worth listening to, Victor Wooten is the king of this. His stuff is just insane, and so hard to copy convincingly. Yet he has perhaps the most easily identifiable "voice" of any bassist since Jaco and he never struggles to produce catchy melodies. I think he really needs to get back to his bass prowess rather than focusing on so many "band" arrangements but thats another story...

...in the meantime, I am always awed by this performance.

[/quote]Oh yeah...my dads a classic pianist...he knows nothing about bass and is a little old fashioned...i showed him this vid and he was blown away.. he watches Victor alot.. Musical yes...Takes you on a journey Yes..