Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this 78 Jazz

bubinga5

Just wondered what you thought about this 78 Jazz.. it has a special order fiesta red finish gold hardwear, Bart pups... i understand some special order Fender Jazz basses were ordered with Bartolinis...

What do you think it might be worth

Serial number is S 862508

Maybe your on here Rob?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1067349' date='Dec 22 2010, 11:59 PM']i understand some special order Fender Jazz basses were ordered with Bartolinis...[/quote]

Black dots with white binding in 78? Never saw that before. Never heard of a Fender from that era coming with Barts either.

I'd say that's an eighties bass - the S8***** serials covered up until about 1982. Dots, white 'guard and Morocco Red where all standard by then. It might have a slightly heavier bridge under the cover as well.

Edit: Just realised you've said it has gold hardware as well. I didn't know Fender did that option back then. :)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1067375' date='Dec 23 2010, 01:09 AM']Well the neckbinding being normal the dot inlays were a custom order..And the Barts were fitted mid 80's..

The neck pocket is stamped J Torrin, who i believe made great jazz necks at that time...[/quote]

Are you sure its not J Torres on the neck stamp? - he seems to be the name most Fender buffs talk about from that era.

If its genuine, this is likely to be early eighties as others have suggested. The serial number is at best a guide to the year from the late "S" serials onwards. By the early eighties Fender were mixing and matching a lot of different stock parts, and the gold hardware suggests early eighties.

Personally, I would be very surprised if the Barts were fitted as standard though

Those Strat style control knobs are an 80's feature aren't they?

As to value; whatever it's worth to the shop! I've no doubt we'll kick figures around from £750 to £1500 but ultimately it's going to be whatever the buyer and the seller can come to an agreement on... what does the price tag say?

[quote name='Musky' post='1067419' date='Dec 23 2010, 07:48 AM']I'd say that's an eighties bass - the S8***** serials covered up until about 1982.[/quote]
Unless it's a gap in my knowledge, the S9 serial number was the one which went into the early 80s, not the S8. I would have said it was more something like

S7 + 5 digits = 1977-1978
S8 + 5 digits = 1977-1978
S9 + 5 digits = 1978-1981
E0 + 5 digits = 1979-1981
E1 + 5 digits = 1980-1981

I do agree it sounds like something either hybrid or parts based. Am I wrong on dates with the S8 / S9?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1067515' date='Dec 23 2010, 09:58 AM']Not totally, but it's VERY random around that time. Dots and binding is 99% likely to be 80s though...[/quote]

+1. The other thing to remember is that the S8 only dates the neck. Fender notoriously had a lot of parts which were being mxed and matched into the eighties, so to an extent the date is subjective. Is the date the year the neck, body etc were made, or when it was all assembled at the factory (pots often date later than the neck/serial), or even when it was sold in the shop?!

Frankly, assunming its genuine, its safest to describe it as an S8 serial Fender, and buy it on the basis of whether its a nice bass rather than getting too hung up on whether its '78 or '81 or somewhere in between.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1067655' date='Dec 23 2010, 11:50 AM']Like i said in my post the dots with binding was a special order..as was the colour (so im told).and the barts were fitted later...

just found out the bass weighs 12-13 ibs... :)[/quote]
Wowza, need a wide strap for that!

[quote name='simon1964' post='1067598' date='Dec 23 2010, 11:08 AM']The other thing to remember is that the S8 only dates the neck.[/quote]
I obviously wasn't clear. I only meant the neck. I have an S9 Precision and the neck dates to early '79 where as the pots are '80. I'm sure the other posts are correct and I meant simply to state that the neck would have been made in 1978. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1067951' date='Dec 23 2010, 04:56 PM']It doesn't look like a bad bass (although the naff ashtray and pickup cover need binned) but careful about a purported value. After all, it doesn't look like a 70's to me and those pickups would appear to be a definite retrofit.[/quote]

I think BB5's covered the fact that the pups are later additions but I would be interested to know what the shop value is on it!

TBH if you are agonising over it then the price would be the clincher and at an inflated 70's price I'd be steering well clear but if it is bargain basement (and you can stand that weight) then go for it.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1067922' date='Dec 23 2010, 04:39 PM']I obviously wasn't clear. I only meant the neck. I have an S9 Precision and the neck dates to early '79 where as the pots are '80. I'm sure the other posts are correct and I meant simply to state that the neck would have been made in 1978. :)[/quote]
Not necessarily. The serial number decals came from a parts bin as well. :)

The guy wants to swap for my Modulus..i spoke to the guy today, and he put me off really..he told me its worth 2 grand and is a very special bass as its all custom ordered...i didnt buy it... did wonder why he wanted to swap a 2 grand bass for a Modulus that is not worth 2 grand...

i think the bass is prob a custom order by there are to many grey areas with Fenders of this age..i dont really want to loose my Mod, but was toying with the idea... Interesting to hear your opinions and knowledge though guys..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1068378' date='Dec 23 2010, 11:43 PM']The guy wants to swap for my Modulus..i spoke to the guy today, and he put me off really..he told me its worth 2 grand and is a very special bass as its all custom ordered...i didnt buy it... did wonder why he wanted to swap a 2 grand bass for a Modulus that is not worth 2 grand...

i think the bass is prob a custom order by there are to many grey areas with Fenders of this age..i dont really want to loose my Mod, but was toying with the idea... Interesting to hear your opinions and knowledge though guys..[/quote]

i think he's talking crap. if it was a custom order who goes and gets one that heavy?
it all sounds like someone's sale's technique 'yeah special order, made personally by leo fender when he turned up to collect a HB pencil he left when he sold fender'

and would you buy any other fender jazz bass that heavy, really i have no idea what your modulus is (im about to look) but I can almost guarantee it will be closer to the 2k mark than this bass!
i mean what does custom ordered mean when things are made on a production line. oh i custom ordered a red volvo, they had to drive it up from a dealership in middlesex.....
rant over