Why become a member? ×

What Have You Been Listening To? And Whos The Bassist?

Brandonh

[quote name='Gizmo' post='12039' date='Jun 4 2007, 07:03 PM']Hadrien Feraud - Hadrien Feraud : again great fusion bassist i cant beleive he's only 22! i hope he manages to find his own voice because [b]at the moment he just sounds to much like just another a garrison clone[/b][/quote]
Hi everybody , i'm glad to be here. :)

Thanks for the comment Gizmo .....
I'm sometimes Jaco's clone , now it's Matt's , tomorrow ....what else ?
Did you had time to listen to my complete Album ?

I think not . :huh:

anyway ...You said : " again great fusion bassist i" Thanks for that.

Best thoughts to all of you . :huh:
Cheers
Hadrien

[quote name='HADRIEN FERAUD' post='12593' date='Jun 5 2007, 05:34 PM']Hi everybody , i'm glad to be here. :)

Cheers
Hadrien[/quote]
I have to say that whilst Hadrien's playing has elements of Matt G,Jaco and maybe one or two others,he is in my opinion the best young jazz fusion player out there at the present moment.Having listened to his cd inside out and back to front ,I have to say that's it is one of the strongest debut cd's compositionally I have heard for years.The playing by all concerned is simply staggering and IMHO Hadrien has made a better Cd than Matt G's debut release.I also think his playing although stylistically similar to Matt G's has a distinctly different vibe to it,especially as Hadrien is also a monster fretless player!!
Anyway just my tuppence worth.
Best wishes,
Mark.

[quote name='HADRIEN FERAUD' post='12593' date='Jun 5 2007, 05:34 PM']Hi everybody , i'm glad to be here. :)

Cheers
Hadrien[/quote]
Poor old Gizzmo

Ha Ha,thats the funniest thing i've seen in ages, i've benn slagging off jimi hendrix for ages , i hope theres no mediums on here!!!!

Basswise i've been listening to Mr Feraud (industrial zen)Richard bona,Alain caron and Kai eckhardt.

John mclaughlin always has the best young bass talent available,Jeff berlin, kai eckhardt, jonas hellborg and now 'HADRIEN FERAUD' .Sir we salute you!

[quote name='blamelouis' post='12664' date='Jun 5 2007, 08:21 PM']Poor old Gizzmo[/quote]

Why poor old me????

Im telling it like i heard it i was played the album by a friend unknowing who the bassist/composer was and my first reply to "who" was new Garrison cd?

the sound,technique's and phasing all made me think garrison sorry if that pisses anyone (inc Hadrien) off but it's just what i heard

Im not slagging anyone off and im not the first one to say they think Hadrien's playing sounds like garrison or jaco
go check out the forums at talkbass there's numerous similar comment's from ppl all over the world

i think Hadrien's playing and composing are amazing i wish i could play at that level (i cant but ppl like him continue to inspire me to try and i thank him for that)
he's a great example of what can be achieved if you have focus,skill and a really love for music
i wish him all the best & im sure he'll go far and that i'll be buying his record's for years to come

Damn, here's another: Interpol, and the bassist is Carlos Dengler:
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Dengler"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Dengler[/url]
Who has a mighty fine tone and good style. There was me thinking that all the rock bass tones that I like are played on Rickenbackers, Carlos plays a Fender Jazz.

Been listening to Elvis Costello, love Bruce Thomas' playing
and XTC's Colin Moulding, inventive geezer

- as a side issue, if you were XTC wouldn't you be upset at how little success they had compared to Kaiser Cheifs, who seem to me to be a complete rip off of the style? Just a thought...

MB1. :) I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO!

Anything thats not in the charts,anything thats not a [Top Ten hit] cover of a classic,anything with real musicians on it,anything thats not been recorded by somebody hoping to jumpstart there flagging acting career,anything that doesnt sound like somebodys shopping list.anything that doesnt involve 4 familys of people getting on stage, and trying to make somebodys shopping list sound down in the hood!anything that doesnt sound like some small child,trying to be dean martin or frank sinatra.anything that has nothing to do with the osbourne family(sorry ossie).Anything that doesnt realistically sound like someone trying to summon up bealzebub the horn...ed one.anything that Doesnt start off with greeenpeace, and ends up with porsche and ferrari and a change of headwear.can you guess what it is yet?

MB1.

[quote name='Bernmeister' post='19243' date='Jun 17 2007, 07:16 PM']Dug out one of the old Terence Trent D'arby cd's today the Vibrator album
& was very impressed with the bass playing by a chap named Kevin Wyatt.

There's some cracking grooves,very tasteful playing & bass funk to the max.[/quote]

I'd forgotten about that album! Yes, some truly wonderful bass stuff on that one, especially the title track IIRC.

I'm afraid I've been listening to myself for the last few days :) Have been picking through the rough mixes of an album I played on, spotting the mistakes :huh:

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='markytbass' post='19265' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:13 PM']Ive been listening to a fair bit of SKA Tony Tribe, Harry J & the All Stars. Also been listening to some big band jazz The National Youth Orchestra doing some old 60s/70s film sound tracks, Lalo Schifrin etc.[/quote]

Good call - Lalo Schifrinn. Some killer bass lines on 'Dirty Harry' soundtrack. Wish I knew who the bass player was(?)

[quote name='nick' post='19339' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:07 PM']Good call - Lalo Schifrinn. Some killer bass lines on 'Dirty Harry' soundtrack. Wish I knew who the bass player was(?)[/quote]

Was it Chuck Rainey? Not sure where that came from, but it leapt into my head when I read your post.

Alun

Band: Camel - The Snow Goose

Bassist: Douglas Ferguson

I've been listening to this album constantly over the last fortnight - classic progressive rock! Hard to go wrong when you're a rock band with a flute player really. Rhayader and Rhayader Goes To Town form an epic combination of songs - a really great listen.