Why become a member? ×

Basschat Awards: Gigging in the face of Adversity

Happy Jack

[quote name='Raggy' post='1057127' date='Dec 13 2010, 12:06 PM']I was once sick in my mouth during a gig halfway through a song.

Though it was down to the amount of booze I had consumed the night before though. :)[/quote]

We played a gig on Saturday and our singer had had a drink or two and fluffed a note, we thought it was just a mistake but he turned around and told us to bring it down for the next section, so we did only to discover that he wanted a quiet bit so he could tell the audience he'd just thrown up in his mouth. :) He's also pooed himself onstage (before I joined the band, fortunately) and there's a video somewhere from when we were in France (with another band where he plays guitar and does backing vox), he's laying down on the stage and me and our singer are humping him and pretending to kick him etc, only to find out after the gig he actually lay down on stage because he was so sure he was going to pass out. haha

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1057142' date='Dec 13 2010, 12:17 PM']I once vomited in the toilet at the side of the stage during a big solo piano feature, and got back onstage to finish the set with the taste making me feel even worse... it was on an extremely rough crossing of the bay of biscay and the theatre lounge being in the bows of the ship was going up and down like a good un, 40-60 feet rise and fall whilst holding a double bass and trying to put on a show under the hot lights etc all conspired to give me my one and only bout of sea sickness. Blegh
I definitely deserve some sort of recognition for that little episode.[/quote]

Nah, Sorry - Thats the duty of a crusing Bassist, its all down to the booze.
The person[s] to get the award would be the band member[s] staying on stage and not throwing up during the Bass solo/feature.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='1057155' date='Dec 13 2010, 12:24 PM']Nah, Sorry - Thats the duty of a crusing Bassist, its all down to the booze.
The person[s] to get the award would be the band member[s] staying on stage and not throwing up during the Bass solo.

Garry[/quote]
how dare you Garry, the beer at 8p a pint was too costly to drink more than a gallon a night :)

Not a musical gig, but I'm nominating my father-in-law for services to door security work - he had 11 hours of chemotherapy last Friday, and put in a 10 hours shift on the doors yesterday. He's 71. They bred 'em tough in Salford in the 40s...

Once did a gig where on the opening song I went to sing some backing vocals, got an electric shock off the microphone and blacked out... Apparently I was carried out of the venue and woke up in the car park about 1/2 hour later.

Have also played with my leg in a cast before, but had a chair so it wasnt so bad

in 90s I auditioned for someone I really wanted to play with, got in, off to sheffield, hanging out in park during day before the evenings music and broke left hand ring finger playing volleyball, finger swelled up, had to have ring cut off, got through gig with loads of painkillers

I know it cant compete with serious illness recovery or broken legs n arms, but digits and toes are painful :)

1st gig back a few years back after long break was dads rock in a pub, and needed imodium to get through the set after a day of work at home lying by the bathroom door

Edited by lojo

Played a gig earlier this year on the evening of the day I sliced my left hand first digit with a paint scraper.
At hospital they were just going to leave it but once I explained I had a gig they stitched it: I was worried the anaesthetic would not wear off in time before the gig as it was numb.... that was OK but had to cut up a rubber glove and put it over the stiched bit and just leave the tip free for fretting.
Needless to say copious amount of blood leaked out during the gig, my maple finger board was covered in blood and as it dried got stickier and stickier. After the first set we had to use a wet-wipe to clean up the strings and fingerboard!
I've still got a lump on my finger where it did not heal properly........

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1057054' date='Dec 13 2010, 11:07 AM']Our singer did a gig last month after having a colonoscopy 2hrs before going on stage. He couldn't stand upright so we propped him on a stool with a cushion and he had to wear a grown up nappy to catch leakages.[/quote]
I have just had hysterics reading this,only to have my 3 year old son ask me what was so funny....."Wait until your older,son".

[quote name='Muzz' post='1057194' date='Dec 13 2010, 12:44 PM']Not a musical gig, but I'm nominating my father-in-law for services to door security work - he had 11 hours of chemotherapy last Friday, and put in a 10 hours shift on the doors yesterday. He's 71. They bred 'em tough in Salford in the 40s...[/quote]
Christ! He has my respect. That chemo is heavy stuff. I had a one off sky high dose & it wiped me out for the month pretty much. Good luck to him

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1057675' date='Dec 13 2010, 07:09 PM']Christ! He has my respect. That chemo is heavy stuff. I had a one off sky high dose & it wiped me out for the month pretty much. Good luck to him[/quote]

Cheers for that mate - he's one of the old-school hard men (his CV has miner (at 15), docker, HGV driver and, ahem, 'Security Consultant') - chemo is fortnightly preparatory to a 6-hour op (with 4-6 days in ICU afterwards) after Xmas to remove an esophageal cancer. I asked him why he was still doing so many shifts, and he said "I'd better get some shifts in now, because I might be off for a couple of weeks after me op..."

[quote name='Muzz' post='1058324' date='Dec 14 2010, 11:07 AM']I asked him why he was still doing so many shifts, and he said "I'd better get some shifts in now, because I might be off for a couple of weeks after me op..."[/quote]

Strewth!

Respect ...