Why become a member? ×

Do you play bass AND sing???

LemonCello

I'd be interested to know how many of us sing as well as play bass. Particularly interested in front men....the Phil Lynott's of this world. I can sing fine when strumming chords on my six string. It gets more interesting when you have a bassline that has no 'pattern' to it. I.E. you cant switch-off and do your vocal.

LC

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1050494' date='Dec 7 2010, 01:31 PM']I'd be interested to know how many of us sing as well as play bass. Particularly interested in front men....the Phil Lynott's of this world. I can sing fine when strumming chords on my six string. It gets more interesting when you have a bassline that has no 'pattern' to it. I.E. you cant switch-off and do your vocal.

LC[/quote]

That'll be front men AND Women of course!

Yeah! I sing lead on The Trooper with my main band, and often do for odd songs at Jam nights, and I also sung about half the set for a scratch-band trio that I put together. I'm not a great singer but I'm confident and happy to do it, as long as I have a bass (or maybe g*****r) to hide behind :)

Most bass parts (in covers bands) are easy so I think singing (backing or lead) is something we should all do as much as possible.

I've got a lot of respect for those who sing and play and even more for those who front a band. I do simple backing vox on half a dozen songs in out set and am told I have a good singing voice. Anything more complicated than that is a real struggle for me as the first thing to fall apart is my playing. I know our band would benefit if I could do more. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them.

Certainly do. I've done BVs in every band I've been in, and was in a couple of bands a few years ago where I shared lead vocal duties with the guitarist. These days I sing harmonies in every song, and have a lead vocal part on a couple of choruses.

Some of my bass parts are quite involved, and I really don't like to compromise them, so working out how to sing & play some of the songs can be a challenge, but for me the key is understanding how the two different rhythms fit together - because they always do. Different melodies are not so much of an issue, certainly if you know the bass line well enough for it to be muscle-memory.

Jon.

From Rick Danko to Paul McCartney there have been some amazing bassists who happen to sing well too. I have done backing in the past but my voice is a passable 3rd harmony at best. In my current band we have 3 lead singers with one of them being the main singer. So I just concentrate on the bass. I find singing and playing fairly easy but singing is definitely more of a struggle for me. Quite rightly I set high standards as bad vocals can really ruin an otherwise great band

I have massive respect for anyone who can sing and play bass at the same time - I really struggle with it, I've managed on about two songs ever I think, though I have much less of a problem if I'm playing keys. It's the rhythm that does me, though I've not tried much on 'straighter' pop stuff. I really don't know how Larry and Bootsy do it!