Why become a member? ×

Buying selling for profit..

bubinga5

Ok.. on tender feet i ask this question. i should say, this has nothing to do with certain seller that was possibly jumped on a bit unfairly, by me also, so i deleted my message.. it was not the case... but im interested to hear other opinions..

what do you guys/girls think of selling a bass for a profit on BC..i personally think its not on...there are two sides to this... Yes..its a forum to buy and sell basses,amp,equipment...so really its a free market, to buy sell, make a profit... on the other side, i have always thought that BC is a bit of a close knit community, that has respect for one another...

this is not ebay..its a forum of bassists and musicians that for the most part know each other.. (i know i do) (ok not that well but there are a few that i speak highly of as people, and have helped me out in one way or another)....one in particular..

For me i dont like it...i understand why some guys do, but this is not a second shop to there personal deals, they may be interested in... i would never sell a bass for profit anywhere...i just dont think its right..im not a sales man and dont really care for money... i cant stay on the shelf on this matter im afraid... maybe becauase ive lost loads on BC...ha..

maybe im being over sensitive, and spending too much time on BC..?

any thoughts..

Edited by bubinga5

I've sold stuff on here at a profit, I've broken even, I've sold at a loss, I've given stuff away. It's no-one's business but mine, frankly, and anyone who wants to stick their oar in will be robustly rebuffed. You don't like the price of something I'm selling - don't buy it!

If it was worth more in the first place then you should of sold it for more, If its not then it wont sell anyway. If you had to sell it cheap because you needed the money to fund [u]the one[/u] and you were happy it had to go to do the deal but then you wanted more for it after thats greedy! If you just had to sell it cheap because you were skint thats both unfortunate and life! :)

It's a shame to see your instrument sold, thinking it's going to a good home, only to see it for sale again at an inflated price.

like P said.... its just not what i would call... "in the spirit of musicians".. i would expect this from shops, etc, not individuals passionate about electric bass... am i old fashioned?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1036959' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:11 PM']It's a shame to see your instrument sold, thinking it's going to a good home, only to see it for sale again at an inflated price.

like P said.... its just not what i would call... "in the spirit of musicians".. i would expect this from shops, etc, not individuals passionate about electric bass... am i old fashioned?[/quote]

Not at all B,, just sounds like your a right good guy with a right to voice your opinion.

It's immoral, but it's totally up to the seller and you're either involved in the sale or you're not, if you're not, you shouldn't really be commenting on the thread at all. Only exceptions are positive (which can still be annoying the seller) or if the seller has a history people should know about (there's one person on here that I have issues with as a seller that other people should maybe know about, but I've not posted on any of his for sale threads...yet).

The flip side is that if someone buys something off here then doesn't get on with it, they should get the same money they paid for it, though unfortunately that's not the way the world works. People pay what they think an item is worth. If someone sells something cheap, they have the choice to say no to a buyer they think only wants it to make a profit.

MB1. :)
Most people on the forum will usually resell items at the same price or lower if theyve bought them on here(which is easy enough to find out).When a price for an item is wildly inaccurate the seller will usually get PMs. Attempting to make a profit on here from something youve previously bought on Basschat usually ends up with very little interest and an impending trip to Ebay.

Edited by MB1

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1036916' date='Nov 25 2010, 08:51 PM']Ok.. on tender feet i ask this question. i should say, this has nothing to do with certain seller that was possibly jumped on a bit unfairly, by me also, so i deleted my message.. it was not the case... but im interested to hear other opinions..

what do you guys/girls think of selling a bass for a profit on BC..i personally think its not on...there are two sides to this... Yes..its a forum to buy and sell basses,amp,equipment...so really its a free market, to buy sell, make a profit... on the other side, i have always thought that BC is a bit of a close knit community, that has respect for one another...

this is not ebay..its a forum of bassists and musicians that for the most part know each other.. (i know i do) (ok not that well but there are a few that i speak highly of as people, and have helped me out in one way or another)....one in particular..

For me i dont like it...i understand why some guys do, but this is not a second shop to there personal deals, they may be interested in... i would never sell a bass for profit anywhere...i just dont think its right..im not a sales man and dont really care for money... i cant stay on the shelf on this matter im afraid... maybe becauase ive lost loads on BC...ha..

maybe im being over sensitive, and spending too much time on BC..?

any thoughts..[/quote]

I just want to know where you find the time to change your avatar so often :)

And who are all these people?

C

If someone is making a slight profit on something,then I'm not too bothered as long as I'm happy with how much I
pay and they aren't rubbing my face in it. If someone bought a US Fender for £200 and sold it for £300,everyone is
happy,as long as the seller didn't brag about it.

What narks me is when someone puts something like "I paid £500 for this and want to get my money back". I might usually be
happy to pay that price,but because they said that was what they paid for it I now want to pay less than that. If nothing was said
I'd be non the wiser.

Like others have commented, this is a community first and foremost.

I wouldn't sell for profit, I'm just really grateful I can buy something, try it for a while and if I don't want to keep it for whatever reason, move it on without losing out big time (well not too much anyway..).

[quote name='Beedster' post='1036985' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:29 PM']I just want to know where you find the time to change your avatar so often :)

And who are all these people?

C[/quote]
Chris ive been made redundant....so ive erm....got alot of time on my hands..ive never played so much bass.. all these people? they are the people who i met in the local job centre...as seen by the hoody..

Edited by bubinga5

Why would it bother you? Once you sell it, it stops being your instrument. If the guy wants to make a bit of wedge, fair enough if he can find a buyer. If he puts a hat on it and has conversations with it, it's still his perogative. It's only ever worth what someone wants to pay at any given time. We've all sold at a loss, we've all made deals in our favour, such is life. I don't see it as a moral issue. If you bought an old Fender this year it'll be worth more next year as the mojo is one year more powerful, why would you sell it at the same price when a 76 is worth more than a 77? Meh, this is not a big deal at all to me. I appreciate the community aspect of the forum but once you sell something it's worth whatever it's worth to the next guy. If you can't let go, don't ever sell anything :)

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1037018' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:50 PM']Chris ive been made redundant....so ive erm....got alot of time on my hands..ive never played so much bass.. all these people? they are the people who i met in the local job centre...as seen by the hoody..[/quote]

Hope I didn't cause offence dude

C

i can appreciate Doctor J,s views... i just dont agree with the hard buying and selling of instruments to make a profit from great people on here..thats it.. im gonna go for £1700 on my Modulus Jazz..any buyers...jeez.. ok £1650..

oh i sound like the soft puppy of BC dont i..

Edited by bubinga5