Why become a member? ×

Buying selling for profit..

bubinga5

[quote name='D-L-B' post='1039111' date='Nov 27 2010, 06:29 PM']I think people's feelings on this matter partly depend on whether you measure your happiness relative to that of others or you find your own absolute happiness.
I have sold things on here and in other places very cheaply in the past, normally because I have bought them for a similar price and more often than not sell at a loss. I've always been happy to do so and couldn't care less what the new owner chooses to do with the item. I don't get jealous or infected by someone else's greed.
When I'm buying I research what I'm after and know what I'm willing to pay for it. Everyone is free to choose.
I understand it's important to keep markets in check etc and there are some items I think are grossly over inflated in price beyond belief, from vintage Fenders down to Deep Impact pedals, but that's the price you pay for being unoriginal!). It's my choice to trade generously as it is other sellers choice to trade selfishly.

Dan[/quote]
Great post.

Thing is, plenty of people here have (or at least really should) accept that your ideal gear is a transient concept and you aren't ever going to stop GASing, so when you buy, you know its going to move on, sooner or later. Fairly clear from my feedback thread that I buy things because they are cheap and I am curious to see what they do, or someone else is, the House of Bass is no stranger to a communal pedal try out session. When I do move them on, I'm pretty much always going to be trying to fund the next piece of gear, or my rent/bills/council tax that I have neglected in favour of buying gear, so am going to be aiming for as much as I can get.

At the risk of incurring criticism, I honestly don't understand why this is seen as a big problem. I can see that some people have been unlucky and therefore feel bitter, and others have been lucky and therefore feel smug/benevolent!

Yes, there is a "community" feeling on here - even though it can be sorely tried by some of the comments that are made (or taken) out of context.

My own feeling (based on fairly limited experience of buying, trading and selling on here) is that what goes around comes around. Anyone who is widely viewed as taking the piss will end up shunned by the majority and subsequently find it difficult to deal on here. Guys (and I use that term in a non-gender specific way!) who are regarded as being "cool", fair, call it what you will; will usually shift gear pretty quickly. If both buyer and seller are happy with the price/deal, is it really anyone else's business?

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1039265' date='Nov 27 2010, 08:29 PM']I think I know.... but I'll let you lot get a bit more TB about it. :)

(hint : it was a joke pertaining to a post has has since disappeared subsequently making him look a right cnut)[/quote]
Yes, that was me. I posted and, upon re-reading decided it was steering the thread off topic so I deleted it.

Then I saw Truckstop's post, which is indeed humourous in context. Put away the pitchforks, there's nothing malicious going on :)

To be honest if someone bought something from here before I got to it and then it reappeared a week later and it was still fairly priced I would still buy it, If you were only buying it because it was cheap that indicates that subconciously you were only getting it to maybe have a try and make a few quid or trade up in in your favour anyway.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1039998' date='Nov 28 2010, 03:19 PM']If you were only buying it because it was cheap that indicates that subconciously you were only getting it to maybe have a try and make a few quid or trade up in in your favour anyway.[/quote]

I disagree with that. Lots of people are on strict budgets and want stuff they can't afford, if it comes up for a good price which makes it affordable, it doesn't mean that it's going to be sold straight on. If your dream bass showed up here for half the price it usually sells for, you'd probably buy it and be happy with it.