Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

Was reminiscing with my mum yesterday about the Capital Radio Jazz Festival at Knebworth - Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman, Dave Brubeck plus some great pop/blues artists as well - AWB, Jimmy Cliff, BB King, Chuck Berry. Nowadays Jazz Festivals seem to be a series of expensive concerts in venues around a particular town, not an outdoors event where you get to see this much talent across one weekend like the rock festivals. I guess they just don't work financially anymore.

Went to Paris for a holiday with the wife. Took in a jazz gig with Gregory Privat who is an up and coming jazz pianist in a similar vein to Hiromi though not quite as eccentric (IMO). It was excellent stuff and really rekindled my desire to seek out, listen to, and play more jazz.

I have just downloaded the 7 cd set by Wynton Marsalis Live at the Village Vanguard from itunes for £8.99. [b]That's 63 tunes for £9[/b]. Have it on the original cds but this is astonishing value and a fantastic listen so I now have it on my ipod! Great bass from Reginald Veal and Ben Wolfe but most of all great jazz played by a great, great band. Highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

This month's downloads:

Mingus Big Band LiveAt Jazz Standard
John Patitucci - Imprint
Phronesis - Alive - a welcome recommendation from a fellow basschatter....
Barry Altschul Quartet - Irina - an old early 80s set from a great and underated drummer
Christian McBride - Kind Of Brown - swing is the thing
Chick Corea Trio Music Live in Europe - Miroslav Vitous in fine form

[quote name='Bilbo' post='928800' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:00 PM']This month's downloads:

Mingus Big Band LiveAt Jazz Standard
John Patitucci - Imprint
Phronesis - Alive - a welcome recommendation from a fellow basschatter....
Barry Altschul Quartet - Irina - an old early 80s set from a great and underated drummer
Christian McBride - Kind Of Brown - swing is the thing
Chick Corea Trio Music Live in Europe - Miroslav Vitous in fine form[/quote]

Ah great choices Bilbo! The Phronesis album is especially good, and I feel attached to it - got to interview the guys for my radio show, and despite me having possibly the worst interview technique in the world, and being very obviously on 5mins preparation straight from work, the were all really nice about it. Saw them at the gig afterwards, and it was jaw-dropping. I'd recommend Kairos 4tet (another group Jasper plays with) for some more interesting stuff.

Downloading that Wynton box set now - got Live At The House Of Tribes, and I'm on a bit of a Marsalis kick! Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Hector

[quote name='deathpanda' post='929264' date='Aug 19 2010, 02:15 AM']saw Miles' "A Different Kind of Blue" on sky arts the other week. spine chilling yet soul healing stuff.[/quote]

Continuing that, what would be the [i]movies[/i], that every jazz-cat should see? Bilbo?

Edited by Faithless

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Faithless' post='929573' date='Aug 19 2010, 11:31 AM']Continuing that, what would be the [i]movies[/i], that every jazz-cat should see? Bilbo?[/quote]

If you are looking for films that feature jazz content as opposed to just soundtracks, try.....

Mo Better Blues
The Fabulous Baker Boys
Round Midnight
Bird
The Man WIth The Golden Arm
Bring On The Night (Sting)
Mingus (b+w documentary)
Triumph of the Underdog (highly recommended)
Young Man With A Horn
Kansas City
Made In Heaven (documentary about Kind of Blue)

Miles Davis, David Sanbourn and John McLaughlin had a cameo in Scrooged (they were buskers)
Branford Marsalis was in Throw Momma From The Train and in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

I Want to Live. A great film noir with music by Johnny Mandel. Gerry Mulligan did an album of Mandel's compositions from the film. Worth a look/listen.

Almost jazz?...... Julie London singing Cry Me a River in The Girl Can't help It. First time I heard Barney Kessel.

The original "Oceans Eleven" featured the Red Norvo Quintet backing Dean Martin on "Ain't That A Kick In The Head".
But I'm sure I've seen another movie that featured an appearance from Red Norvo with his old buddy Tal Farlow on guitar. Might have been a quartet or a trio.
Anybody know what I'm on about? Bilbo? Anyone? :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='954846' date='Sep 13 2010, 04:49 PM']If you are looking for films that feature jazz content as opposed to just soundtracks, try.....

Mo Better Blues
The Fabulous Baker Boys
Round Midnight
Bird
The Man WIth The Golden Arm
Bring On The Night (Sting)
Mingus (b+w documentary)
Young Man With A Horn
Kansas City

Miles Davis, David Sanbourn and John McLaughlin had a cameo in Scrooged (they were buskers)
Branford Marsalis was in Throw Momma From The Train and in an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air[/quote]

I'm after documentaries/biographies rather than hollywood stuff, actually.. Which of them would be those?
Although 'Baker Brothers' was ok, have to finish watching it tonight..

Round Midnight - is a biopic of a Bud Powell and Lester Young hybrid
Bird - Charlie Parker biopic (a bit Hollywood but its ib there)
Mingus (b+w documentary)

Not heard of the Norvo Farlow film.

Bilbo, don't get angry on me for Autumn Leaves, but it's just too musical.. And the band is just killing it - but what else would you expect from Gadd and Carter..

And that pedal point is nice too!

Desmond's has been probably my favourite sax for a while, but this is just sick - that laid back vibe and sound is just what enslaves me.. Definetly the next one I'll be transcribing..

enjoy.

[quote name='Faithless' post='958696' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:21 PM']Bilbo, don't get angry on me for Autumn Leaves, but it's just too musical.. And the band is just killing it - but what else would you expect from Gadd and Carter..

And that pedal point is nice too!

Desmond's has been probably my favourite sax for a while, but this is just sick - that laid back vibe and sound is just what enslaves me.. Definetly the next one I'll be transcribing..

enjoy.[/quote]

Bizarre video. A young Chet Atkins (1950s) playing with a 1970s Steve Gadd and a 1980s Ron Carter. Bit of a montage thing going on there. Are the players on the audio definately Gadd and Carter? Something is not right here.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='960158' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:07 AM']Are the players on the audio definately Gadd and Carter?[/quote]
It's from [url="http://chetbakertribute.com/disc_shewastoogood.html"][i]She Was Too Good to Me[/i][/url], from 1974. Gadd and Carter are listed in the album credits, but the video's clearly a fake/montage (as noted repeatedly in the YouTube comments). Most obviously, we can hear a trumpet... but see a flügelhorn. :)