Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this on Amazon Marketplace for less than £15 new.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Village-Vanguard-Wynton-Marsalis/dp/B00003A9NY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1229010384&sr=1-9"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Village-Vangu...0384&sr=1-9[/url]

Its a 7 cd boxed set of Wynton Marsalis and his Sextet Live at the Village Vanguard. I bought it for nearly £60 many years ago and that was good value. Getting it this cheap is a steal. Some absolutely great jazz with the great Reginald Veal doing that thing he does,

BOOM!

OK one of my albums of the year is by a brilliant double bassist called Ben Allison with his band Man Size Safe, the record is called Little Things Run The World. It's packed with ace tunes and brilliant arrangements, great group playing with touches of folk, African, Americans/alf country. It's not fusion, no one shows off and there's a cracking cover of Jelous Guy, Google him and check his Myspace out, this is my kind of jazz right now.

The band I'm heavily tipping for 2009 are TrioVD from Leeds, and they don't even have a bass player... they are in the Death Jazz side of things, but it's just really high energy music played with real passion at top speed and top volume. They are all great players, two teach at Leeds College of Music, but they are creating some really original music that isn't really jazz or metal but just great

On a bass guitar tip I actually really dig Vic Wooten's last album Palmystery, it's killing.

Happy jazzin' y'all

I was teaching music genres to my Media Studies class this morning. Kids have little idea of where the music they listen to comes from. To illustrate Jazz i put on Fly me to the Moon (Sinatra) which they thought was OK, then I put on Coltrane Giant Steps. Most of them thought it was "alright"!.

That's high praise indeed from 14 year olds!!

[quote name='urb' post='352124' date='Dec 11 2008, 08:29 PM']OK one of my albums of the year is by a brilliant double bassist called Ben Allison with his band Man Size Safe, the record is called Little Things Run The World. It's packed with ace tunes and brilliant arrangements, great group playing with touches of folk, African, Americans/alf country. It's not fusion, no one shows off and there's a cracking cover of Jelous Guy, Google him and check his Myspace out, this is my kind of jazz right now.

The band I'm heavily tipping for 2009 are TrioVD from Leeds, and they don't even have a bass player... they are in the Death Jazz side of things, but it's just really high energy music played with real passion at top speed and top volume. They are all great players, two teach at Leeds College of Music, but they are creating some really original music that isn't really jazz or metal but just great

On a bass guitar tip I actually really dig Vic Wooten's last album Palmystery, it's killing.

Happy jazzin' y'all[/quote]

I just had a blast....some of it reminds me of an album I heard with John Coltrane and Don Cherry, think it was called The Avant Garde.
It's great stuff they're doing! Kesh Version3 is brilliant!

• 1 month later...

Recent acquisitions:

Lee Morgan 3 - Sextet recording with Paul Chambers on bass

Chambers is also on Abbey Lincoln's 'That's Him', another recent purchase.

Joshua Redman - Moodswings - with Christian McBride

John Scofield - Uberjam ;) not sure yet!!

The Other Quartet - Sound Stains - with Ohad Talmor on saxophones. Very interesting (Talmor has done a cd of Steve Swallow stuff called Athe Bum's Tale - think Stravinsky plays Swallow!!!) website is worth a look;

[url="http://www.ohadtalmor.com/"]http://www.ohadtalmor.com/[/url]

Anyone else got any nice jazz recently?

Glad someone else bumped this, saved me searching for it.

Was browsing BBC iplayer last night, came across a few recorded radio programs on jazz. Listened to one that was a full live concert by French guitarist Marc Dupret. Exciting and interesting to listen to, if a little eccentric, but it wasn't quite my thing. However the first band they played, Donkey Monkey (yes, I know) was very cool. Catchy and experimental, same sort of vein as early Hiromi.

Which prompts this message... I LOVE JAZZ! I'd forgotten how good a fresh and original piece of jazz can be.

Mark

[quote]Absoflippinlutely. Its the best[/quote]

Agreed ;) I love it because it's enjoyable on so many levels. If you like it at first listen, you can at least appreciate it on its merits. If it's bizarre, you can revel in the sheer difference of it in comparison to what has gone before. If it's complex, you can try to understand it so that you can benefit your own playing. And ultimately most jazz has improvisation at its heart, so it's all part of a perfect training ground for improving your own improvisation. Gotta love it.

Mark

It's great because the more you invest in it, the more it gives you in return. The demands it places on you as a performer and listener increase as your skills, knowledge and competence increase. You play the same song the day you start playing jazz and the same song 5, 10, 15, 20 years later and it will grow with you and demand more of you each time. Your ability to deliver a fine performance depends on your whole mind, body and spirit and the more ready you are, the more you will find in every chord change, rhythmic inflection and dynamic. It is spiritually, emotionally and viscerally satisfying and will always remain the gift that continues giving.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='231773' date='Jul 3 2008, 07:57 AM']I always found NHOP to be one of those people that played clever for the sake of it and not because it was musically valid - bit like John 'I'm gonna stick this 32-note fill in now whether you like it or not' McLaughlin. I also found Pederson's tone to be a bit thin/whiny ;) But, when he keeps a lid on it, its cool.

Just not one of my faves.[/quote]

Have you heard NHOP on Dizzy's "The Giant" from '73? One OTT solo but the rest of his playing is wonderful, wonderful.. :P

[quote]It's great because the more you invest in it, the more it gives you in return. The demands it places on you as a performer and listener increase as your skills, knowledge and competence increase. You play the same song the day you start playing jazz and the same song 5, 10, 15, 20 years later and it will grow with you and demand more of you each time.[/quote]

This is true. A great illustration of this (albeit in a slightly different vein) is some of the Guthrie Govan solo vids on youtube. Relatively simple backing track, something that anyone could improvise over, but an experienced improviser (GG does do/mimic jazz as well) can turn it into an absolute monster of a song.

Mark

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='406180' date='Feb 11 2009, 12:41 PM']It's great because the more you invest in it, the more it gives you in return. The demands it places on you as a performer and listener increase as your skills, knowledge and competence increase. You play the same song the day you start playing jazz and the same song 5, 10, 15, 20 years later and it will grow with you and demand more of you each time. Your ability to deliver a fine performance depends on your whole mind, body and spirit and the more ready you are, the more you will find in every chord change, rhythmic inflection and dynamic. It is spiritually, emotionally and viscerally satisfying and will always remain the gift that continues giving.[/quote]
Unless its watermelon man, eh Bilbo ! ;)

[quote name='blamelouis' post='407429' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:08 AM']Unless its watermelon man, eh Bilbo ! ;)[/quote]

Grrrrr.

I am also enjoying the new (?) Dave Holland Sextet cd 'Pass It On'. It is a band with a pianist (Mulgrew Miller - Holland has not used piano in his bands ever before, if I am not mistaken, so this is a departure for him). Some of the tunes on the cd have been on earlier Holland cds but these versions are fresh.

• 1 month later...

I've been checking out "Beyond the Missouri sky" by Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden and i have to say it really is a fantastic album .
Hadens playing is a breath of fresh air he is so restrained and doesnt get in the way of the progressions and just coaxes the melody lines with his harmonic choices !
Highly reccomended especially to duo bassists ,masterclass!

Ha ha....is this thread still going??

Jazz fans, Janek Gwizdala - Live at the 55 Bar hasn't been out of my car CD player for a week, superb album and highly recommended. The track "Mana" is just brilliant, I've never heard a Fodera sound better than that.

Not much of a jazzer so I can't be arsed to look through the whole of this thread but has Return To Forever been mentioned? I downloaded a few of their albums and quite liked some of the tracks. Are they rated as jazz or fusion or what and are they considered good by the proper jazz officianados? just mildly curious.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='436226' date='Mar 16 2009, 03:56 PM']Unbelievable - I was listening to that not 4 hours ago. It is a great CD. Have your heard Metheny's 'Map Of THe World'. No bass at all but its absolutely marvellous.[/quote]
No must check that out Bilbo :D
I used to laugh at Charlie Haden when i was a Jaco nut "but he doesnt do anything why does he work so much , these people know nothing" :)
Now i know why he works so much !
Sorry Charlie :rolleyes: