Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

Cool - where was that, Mikey? We don't get much up here in Felixstowe/Suffolk more radical than Stacy Kent.

I'm off to see John Scofield with horns on Saturday tho'(Jazz Cafe). Steve Swallow isn't with them this time, which is a great shame as he is one of my favourites but the event should be special enough anyway.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='164565' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:56 PM']Cool - where was that, Mikey? We don't get much up here in Felixstowe/Suffolk more radical than Stacy Kent.

I'm off to see John Scofield with horns on Saturday tho'(Jazz Cafe). Steve Swallow isn't with them this time, which is a great shame as he is one of my favourites but the event should be special enough anyway.[/quote]

Birmingham Jam House. We are quite fortunate that we have a very active promoter for jazz in Birmingham (Tony Dudley Evans as part of Birmingham Jazz), I saw more jazz gigs in my first fortnight here that I had in my lifetime, a lot of them for free aswell! I'm really looking forward to seeing Dave Douglas in a couple of weeks, with James Genus on bass and the neil cowley trio is pretty soon aswell.

Robert is playing london tonight or tomorrow, but it is sold out unfortunately.

Scofield at the Barbican last year with MMW was one of the best gigs i had been to, was going to try and head down for the Jazz cafe one, but funds aren't allowing me to. Gotta save some money for Cheltenham jazz festival and a holiday in Oslo.

It's a shame that Steve isn't coming with him, as I saw him with the Mike Gibbs jazz orchestra tour and he sounded excellent. I pestered my head of year for weeks to try and get a lesson with him, but nothing came of it! :)

I envy you. I was in Cardiff when Jed WIlliams was running the Welsh Jazz Scoiety & the Four Bars Inn which is a relateively small pub near the castle in Cardiff. I saw Scofield in that little pub - Mike Stern was scheduled to play with Bob Berg but cancelled when Leni Stern got cancer but other gigs included Dave Murray, the World Saxophone Quartet, Art Farmer, Kenny Wheeler, Bheki Mseleku - the list was endless. Then there was Brecon Jazz every year which , because I was local, I did lots of playing at (7 times one year) and saw lots of great stuff for free - Miroslav Vitous and Arild Anderson borrowed my amps one year, Jamaladeen Tacuma, Jeff Andrews with Vital Information, Branford Marsalis, Joe Lovano, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Motian (w. Steve Swallow!!!!!)! It was heaven.

Now I am in the jazz Sahara - nothing EVER gets up here. In the last 4 years I have seen Avishai Cohen and John Etheridge. That's it. It's like the last two decades never happened!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='164597' date='Mar 27 2008, 04:39 PM']I envy you. I was in Cardiff when Jed WIlliams was running the Welsh Jazz Scoiety & the Four Bars Inn which is a relateively small pub near the castle in Cardiff. I saw Scofield in that little pub - Mike Stern was scheduled to play with Bob Berg but cancelled when Leni Stern got cancer but other gigs included Dave Murray, the World Saxophone Quartet, Art Farmer, Kenny Wheeler, Bheki Mseleku - the list was endless. Then there was Brecon Jazz every year which , because I was local, I did lots of playing at (7 times one year) and saw lots of great stuff for free - Miroslav Vitous and Arild Anderson borrowed my amps one year, Jamaladeen Tacuma, Jeff Andrews with Vital Information, Branford Marsalis, Joe Lovano, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Motian (w. Steve Swallow!!!!!)! It was heaven.

Now I am in the jazz Sahara - nothing EVER gets up here. In the last 4 years I have seen Avishai Cohen and John Etheridge. That's it. It's like the last two decades never happened!![/quote]
Tell us about it !!
Here in belfast i've seen mclaughlin and scofield and in dublin last year bela fleck with vic!
And THATS IT !!

• 2 weeks later...

Gil Goldstein - now there's a talent

'Zebracoast' is a great cd and it introduced me to Carles Benavent, a great plectrum wielding giant of nuevo flamenco bass playing and to nuevo flamenco in general. Goldstien also did the arrangements for Mike Brecker's 'Wide Angles' cd (I think he got a grammy for it). Has worked with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Pat Martino, Billy Cobham, and Lee Konitz. In l981 Gil started performing with the Gil Evans Orchestra. With Gil Evans as his mentor, Goldstein began developing his own arranging craft, eventually writing for artists including Milton Nasciemento, Randy Brecker, Pat Metheny, Wallace Roney, David Sanborn, Al Jarreau, and in 2003, winning a Grammy Award for his work with Michael Brecker.

Check him out if you can (there's loads of stuff on Youtube). :)

Being as I'm one of the 'jazz' players on here (amongst other genres, of course) I thought I'd better put my hat in the ring...

Having gotten seriously into Victor Wooten in the past year, this led me onto Bela Fleck & the Flecktones. What a band! The concept of blending bluegrass banjo licks with jazz & funk is just amazing & technically excellent to listen to.

I also love all the jazz standards (I have a pad for functions filled with over 200 of them!). Diana Krall is my modern favourite, but not when she's backed by massive string washes! Better with the simple trios/quartets like on "The Girl in the Other Room."

• 3 weeks later...

'Julia', a Lennon and McCartney tune performed by John Scofield, Medeski, Martin & Wood on their Out Louder CD. It BLEEDS, man!

and the World Saxophone Quartet with our very own Tony Kofi on board - HEAVYYYY!! I need to get some more of their stuff!

Re. Tony Wilson (1950-2007): "Hating Jazz is hazardous to your health." - Soulfinger (*1967)

:)

+ 1 on Kenny Wheeler, one of my favourite musicians.

I´m currently enjoying Spiros Exaras World Jazz Ensemble - Phrygianics (Matt Garrison on bass). Brilliant.

Edited by Soulfinger

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='189896' date='May 1 2008, 06:43 PM']Re. Tony Wilson (1950-2007): "Hating Jazz is hazardous to your health." - Soulfinger (*1967)[/quote]

There may be something in that, Tony Wilson did die relatively young. :)

[quote name='rodneymullen' post='189950' date='May 1 2008, 08:00 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRT3yu-3dc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRT3yu-3dc[/url]

:)

Marco Panascia is fresh

:huh:[/quote]

Thanks man! I'm going looking for these guys!!

• 1 month later...

Dave Holland Quartet - Extended Play - this band are monster!
Also his Critical Mass cd - different drummer but the drive is still there...
Anything else by Dave Holland - he is one of the most consistent voices in jazz...
Andrew Hill - Black Fire (Roy Haynes on drums - such energy)...
Charlie Hunter - Right Now Move - some great grooves a la Medeski, Martin & Wood but with Curtis Fowlkes on trombone and John Ellis on sax/bass clarinet. Fernkky!
Mingus Ah Um - how great is that CD?

Have you got Joni Mitchell 'Both Sides Now'
Herbie and Wayne Shorter are awesome on it.
The arranging by Vince Mendoza is simply beautiful. A good friend of mine Iain Dixon plays on it as well as a bunch of other London players some of whom I've worked with.
It makes me feel quite proud of the british scene that they chose to do it it here for the players and the studio (Air Lyndhurst)
Jake

Yep - would you believe it is in the cassette player on my desk at work as we speak. Those string arrangements are great (I hadn't read the cover so hadn't clocked it was Mendoza - I did recognise Hancock and Shorter but no-one else - didn't even know it was done in the UK).

I still rate 'Shadows and Light' as one of my top five of all time (LP not CD - the best tracks were omitted from the cd).

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='231106' date='Jul 2 2008, 09:18 AM']Yep - would you believe it is in the cassette player on my desk at work as we speak. Those string arrangements are great (I hadn't read the cover so hadn't clocked it was Mendoza - I did recognise Hancock and Shorter but no-one else - didn't even know it was done in the UK).

I still rate 'Shadows and Light' as one of my top five of all time (LP not CD - the best tracks were omitted from the cd).[/quote]
I'm listening to it now.

She Kills me...
I absolutely love most of her material.
She reaches inside with the notes and the words.

Dare I be vauguely controversial here and say I thinki Hejira is one of Joni's finest and quite possibly Jaco P's most complete and successful studio date ever - the empathy between the two of them is just stunning - Jaco is like a second 'voice' and the songs are some of Joni's best IMHO - I have the Both Sides Now double CD too and it is beautiful - and Mendoza is a monster (check out Brown Street by Joe Zawinul for incredible big band versions of the Weather Report stuff) - but I prefer Joni's voice on her earlier recordings.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='231386' date='Jul 2 2008, 03:06 PM']Dare I be vauguely controversial here and say I thinki Hejira is one of Joni's finest and quite possibly Jaco P's most complete and successful studio date ever - the empathy between the two of them is just stunning - Jaco is like a second 'voice' and the songs are some of Joni's best IMHO - I have the Both Sides Now double CD too and it is beautiful - and Mendoza is a monster (check out Brown Street by Joe Zawinul for incredible big band versions of the Weather Report stuff) - but I prefer Joni's voice on her earlier recordings.

Mike[/quote]
Not controversial at all Mike, just the bits you like. We all like different bits, which is great :)

[quote name='urb' post='231386' date='Jul 2 2008, 03:06 PM']Dare I be vauguely controversial here and say I thinki Hejira is one of Joni's finest and quite possibly Jaco P's most complete and successful studio date ever - the empathy between the two of them is just stunning - Jaco is like a second 'voice' and the songs are some of Joni's best IMHO - I have the Both Sides Now double CD too and it is beautiful - and Mendoza is a monster (check out Brown Street by Joe Zawinul for incredible big band versions of the Weather Report stuff) - but I prefer Joni's voice on her earlier recordings.

Mike[/quote]

Song for Sharon is one of my favourite songs ever, I went to New York last year and visited some of the places mentioned, Wolman rink is in Central park.