Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='117958' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:39 PM']I called it I Love Jazz because I DO and I know what I mean and don't need to define it because I KNOW what I mean and rock isn't jazz and, although I like some rock, didn't think it needed advocating for because there are zillions of rockers already doing so but there aren't many people advocating for jazz so I thought I would because I love it.

OK?[/quote]

You couldn't be more plain bilbo. I understand your post completely.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='117936' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:12 PM']ha ha! no, Howards reply to that. something like

"the serebral musicality of jazz, mixed with the visceral groove of funk"

(forgive the guessed words, and the obviously guessed spellings of said words)[/quote]
Nope, that was right
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M2log61DH8Q"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M2log61DH8Q[/url]
The Mighty Boosh is a source of great wisdom pertaining to jazz :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='117832' date='Jan 10 2008, 01:46 PM'][b][i]Its MASSIVE!!!![/i][/b] :huh:[/quote]

Why....thank you. :)

About a year ago, I played with these two brothers, a drummer and a keyboardist. The keys wrote all original material and it was "Jazz". Two things. It was the most challenging music I had ever played, and once I learned it, it was some of the most moving and fun. I have songs on my hard drive from that time which I'm glad I kept. We only giged twice, but I learned a lot from that experience.

Jim

[quote name='cheddatom' post='117918' date='Jan 10 2008, 03:43 PM']Hamster - Sounds like you were forced by your insatiable desire for beer to get used to the crap![/quote]

TBH, the beer helped a little to start with :) but the more I went in there the more bands I heard and my appreciation grew.

Hamster

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='117959' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:40 PM']In all seriousness, probably not [b]most[/b] that dismiss it, but yes, a lot of people have a "Fast Show" opinion of jazz. Whether it was formed before or after seeing the Fast Show is a different matter. I'm not blaming The Fast Show for it, I'm just saying it exists. Obviously that opinion is out there otherwise the whole Jazz Club sketch wouldn't exist. Hence things like Chops' "Beret and beard" comment (no offence taken or meant).

All I can say from my point of view is that the first time I saw the Chick Corea Elektric Band live, with Chick Corea, John Patitucci, Dave Weckl, Eric Marienthal and Frank Gambale, I was absolutely astounded by the quality of the musicianship from all five of them, and stood up to applaud them all at the end with a lump in my throat. It's very rare I get physically emotional about seeing bands/artistes.

What it also did was give me a great interest in musicians of other instruments. I have at least one CD of all of the artists above simply because of that concert. I doubt very much I'd go and buy solo CDs from most of the bands I was brought up on, as I think most rock/pop bands are based around the writing skills or musicianship of one main player. Of course there are going to be exceptions of course - before I get bombarded with "what about (insert band name)".[/quote]

Return to Forever....the Original Band will reunite in 2008.....Romantic Warrior was an unbelievable album....Stanly Clarke....sigh

[url="http://www.chickcorea.com/player_temp.php"]http://www.chickcorea.com/player_temp.php[/url]

+1 to loving jazz.

What I love about it is the freedom that it gives musicians performing it. Whether you're listening or performing, the freedom is there; whatever you want to play is up to you, there are no confines, it's a genuine musical playground.

Mark

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='117994' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:06 PM']wow, it's already happening, and in a 'love' thread?

bye bye *waves goodbye to thread*[/quote]

We all need to chill out an go "Om..Om..." a lot.
To be serious for a moment, and in case my last post was misconstrued. I think all forms of music are valid, whether I “get them” or not. [i]Generally speaking[/i], I don’t much enjoy Jazz and regard jazz funk as pointless. As I said, I don’t really "get" Jazz but love funk, and think combining the two is a bit like mixing chocolate and fish for lunch. That doesn’t mean I’m right it doesn’t mean I’m wrong, it’s not even a question of taste, it’s just a matter of opinion.
What I do enjoy is the range of (sometimes) passionately held opinions on this forum and the humour about it, whether or not I agree with them. Having enjoyed the I Hate Jazz thread and seeing the havoc that caused, we get a thread called I Love Jazz, which immediately starts the same arguments from a different direction, I think its great !!

Having said all that, and just to prove I don’t know what I’m talking about, the most [i]powerful[/i] (whatever that means) music I’ve ever seen was Miles Davies at the Festival Hall a year or so before he died, which although Jazz was really hairs up on the back of the neck jaw dropping.
So what I’m saying is enjoy, treat all this as fun, and keep an open mind

Love to all, whatever you like ! :)

Chop

[quote name='jammie17' post='118016' date='Jan 10 2008, 05:32 PM']Return to Forever....the Original Band will reunite in 2008.....Romantic Warrior was an unbelievable album....Stanly Clarke....sigh

[url="http://www.chickcorea.com/player_temp.php"]http://www.chickcorea.com/player_temp.php[/url][/quote]

The original band or the Corea-Clarke-di Meola-White middle line-up? That would make me cream my pants.

[quote name='Chop' post='118040' date='Jan 10 2008, 06:09 PM']We all need to chill out an go "Om..Om..." a lot.
To be serious for a moment, and in case my last post was misconstrued. I think all forms of music are valid, whether I “get them” or not. [i]Generally speaking[/i], I don’t much enjoy Jazz and regard jazz funk as pointless. As I said, I don’t really "get" Jazz but love funk, and think combining the two is a bit like mixing chocolate and fish for lunch. That doesn’t mean I’m right it doesn’t mean I’m wrong, it’s not even a question of taste, it’s just a matter of opinion.
What I do enjoy is the range of (sometimes) passionately held opinions on this forum and the humour about it, whether or not I agree with them. Having enjoyed the I Hate Jazz thread and seeing the havoc that caused, we get a thread called I Love Jazz, which immediately starts the same arguments from a different direction, I think its great !!

Having said all that, and just to prove I don’t know what I’m talking about, the most [i]powerful[/i] (whatever that means) music I’ve ever seen was Miles Davies at the Festival Hall a year or so before he died, which although Jazz was really hairs up on the back of the neck jaw dropping.
So what I’m saying is enjoy, treat all this as fun, and keep an open mind

Love to all, whatever you like ! :)

Chop[/quote]

Well, I've had Chocolate in bed in the afternoon with a beautiful Lady...... :wub:

Edited by jammie17

That Mighty Boosh clip was not even close to funny. Fast Show was much nearer the mark.

Jazz - its personal. Don't mess with MY definition. It's mine and I don't have to defend it.

I just have to LOVE it!

ScoLoHoFo - Oh!
John Taylor Trio
Dave Holland Quintet
Enrico Pieranunzzi
Marc Johnson's Bass Desires

It's exquisite!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='118074' date='Jan 10 2008, 07:12 PM']That Mighty Boosh clip was not even close to funny[/quote]
At least you admit you don't like it :) It is a very special kind of humour, really - and I don't think the Mighty Boosh is ever funny out of context, so you have to have watched it before to enjoy it! They love jazz funk and slap bass really - it's not so much about laughing at yourself but laughing about other people's exaggerated perception of yourself... the joke's on those who think the music really is that dull
I love Gary Numan too!

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='118074' date='Jan 10 2008, 07:12 PM']That Mighty Boosh clip was not even close to funny. Fast Show was much nearer the mark.

Jazz - its personal. Don't mess with MY definition. It's mine and I don't have to defend it.

I just have to LOVE it![/quote]

Oh dear. You don't like the Mighty Boosh and you love Jazz.

Well they say that opposites attract and I must admit....

I'm finding you so God-Dam hot right now!!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='117860' date='Jan 10 2008, 02:23 PM']+1

I've just been listening to John Coltrane, 'A Love Supreme' bloody marvelous :)[/quote]

A true Heavy Weight of Jazz, I love Coltrane's endless search for something sonically challenging, whenever I've tried to attempt any form of jamming or working certain things out it can be quite overwhelming.

I love his work towards the end of his life...unreal.

I also love jazz.
its a little known fact that John Thompson of 'jazz club' is actually a drummer who likes jazz.
In the 90's I used to be in the resident trio in a club called Night and Day (i'm sure some of you know it) when they had jam sessions that people could sit in on, and John used to come and sit in on drums (an inspiration I wonder?)
as it goes unless they are well run I hate jam nights but I guess they serve a purpose
Jake

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='118185' date='Jan 10 2008, 09:42 PM']What is trad-jazz?[/quote]
trad jazz is a 1950s onwards British version of new orleans music (dixieland, Louis Armstrong probably the most well known)
sadly the british version in my experience is played by people whos major skill is alchohol consumption. I'm sure there are some good ones but I haven't found many
New Orleans music on the other hand has been played by some of the worlds greatest players
Jake