Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='blamelouis' post='436139' date='Mar 16 2009, 02:39 PM']I've been checking out "Beyond the Missouri sky" by Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden and i have to say it really is a fantastic album .
Hadens playing is a breath of fresh air he is so restrained and doesnt get in the way of the progressions and just coaxes the melody lines with his harmonic choices !
Highly reccomended especially to duo bassists ,masterclass![/quote]

Possibly one of my all time fav records. A lesson in the art of taste and restraint.

[quote name='Rayman' post='436235' date='Mar 16 2009, 04:10 PM']Ha ha....is this thread still going??

Jazz fans, Janek Gwizdala - Live at the 55 Bar hasn't been out of my car CD player for a week, superb album and highly recommended. The track "Mana" is just brilliant, I've never heard a Fodera sound better than that.[/quote]

Really great album. I love how he recorded, "got sixty pepole in the control room.... rehearsed on a Wednesday, (we) did the album in one take on Thursday, mixed it in a day on Friday and mastered it on a Sunday and by Monday it went to the disc makers". Very slick.

Also, the horn player on that record, Justin Vasquez just released a solo album which is very much worth a listen to. He'll be releasing an eletronic follow-up with Janek on bass soon too. The new York scene is very much alive and well. :)

Jay

[quote name='KevB' post='436343' date='Mar 16 2009, 05:31 PM']Are they rated as jazz or fusion or what and are they considered good by the proper jazz officianados? just mildly curious.[/quote]

Jazz Rock or Fusion? Doesn't really matter. Jazz fans tend to see this stuff as marmite. I went through a phase where I was impressed but I was on my way somewhere and hadn't arrived yet. I still really like the first 2 RTF lps but the later stuff felt over arranged. But it has to be seen as a product of its time and it was a really creative era for fusion, before it got all blanded out by Sanborn and Kenny G.

[quote name='Lemuel Beam' post='406243' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:27 AM']Have you heard NHOP on Dizzy's "The Giant" from '73? One OTT solo but the rest of his playing is wonderful, wonderful.. :)[/quote]

Check out NHOP with Oscar, Dizzy, Lockjaw, Clark Terry (I forgot who the drummer was) playing Ali & Frazier. The best bass solo ever! It's somewhere on YouTube. Find it!

Jon Liebman
www.JonLiebman.com

My 2c's worth...

One of the highlights of my life was watching RTF back in the 70's at the Palace (I think) in Manchester. They did a double set, first half electric, second acoustic (It was the Corea/DiMeola/Clarke/White line up). Another would be browsing through the vinyl in HMV in Manchester and slowly becoming aware of some fabulous music being played on the shop system, Weather Report's 'Black Market' as it turned out. Add to this some of my fave albums, Passion Grace and Fire (Al di Meola, Paco de Lucea and John McLaughlin), Miles Davies doing Porgy and Bess (Summertime is painfully gorgeous) and finally Stan Clarke's and Jaco Pastorius's debut solo albums. As a final touch I want 'A Remark You Made' played at my funeral, a most beautiful piece of music.

Low points ? Only one, back in the late eighties/early nineties (I try to black the exact time out) when I was dragged along to witness a couple of hours of musical masturbation by the Pat Metheny group. Horrifically dull !!

There are other pieces I could list in the love/hate categories but it would be to long and dull, suffice to say I regard myself as Jazz-tinged rather than an out and out enthusiast. Oh and this thread has given me plenty to check out so thanks guys and gals.

Hey fellow jazzers...

Just wanted to recommend a couple of my fave new jazz artists/bands as they are very much drawing on contemporary pop/rock and other sources, er, like math core metal, and even film music.

First up is a US pianist [b]Aaron Parks[/b], he's signed to Blue Note, and has recently released a killer album called 'Invisible Cinema', I can't imagine many of you have heard of him as he's quite a new name, but believe me it's a seriously great album, packed with great TUNES (yes actual melodies you can remember) and it all grows on you with repeat listens.

Link:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/aparksmusic"]http://www.myspace.com/aparksmusic[/url]

My other tip for the top this year, well they started doing lots of gigs last year actually, are a Leeds based band called [b]trioVD[/b], I have no idea why they decided on that name but like those pesky STDS it's sort of stuck.

Now before we go any further, they don't actually have a bass player... they are drums, guitar and sax and are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. they come acorss as a mix between Primus, Queens Of the Stoneage/Rage Against he Machine and Ornette Coleman... if it sounds mad, it is, they among others like Led Bib have been dubbed 'death jazz' as it's hard to describe exactly what it is...

They are ridiculously tight, all top level players, but in spite of that fact they can really play they are incredibly passionate live, drummer Chris Bussey has to be seen to be believed and guitarist Chris Sharkey is an absolute demon. He's also joined Acoustic Ladyland (for those of you that know them) and their new album coming out in a month or two is stunning as well, and the DO have a bass player, a cool gal called Ruth Goller.

Anyway if you live in Leeds trioVD play quite a few gigs in the area and are well worth checking out, there really aren't any other bands doing what they are doing right now, and yes it has bits of jazz in it but it's a whole load of other mad rocking stuff as wel...

Link
[url="http://www.myspace.com/triovd"]http://www.myspace.com/triovd[/url]

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/londonjazzfestival/introducing4.shtml"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/londonjaz...roducing4.shtml[/url]

Have a listen and let me know what you think...

Alright that's enough from me have a good (jazzy) weekend y'all

Mike

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447802' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:44 PM']Damn, Mingus plays that upright like it's a shortscale toy!

Alex[/quote]

Mingus is/was an absolute bass monster - like you say, he makes a double bass look like a child's toy, he's simply one of the all time greats.. on bass and in jazz.

M

Made me angry. Heard most of it before but the bit I got annoyed at was the fact that we had a long interview with Charlie Haden, stories about Eugene Wright (who?) and the usual 'wasn't Mingus angry' anecdotes but, again, no memtion of Paul Chambers.

Same old, same old.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='448113' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:49 PM']Made me angry. Heard most of it before but the bit I got annoyed at was the fact that we had a long interview with Charlie Haden, stories about Eugene Wright (who?) and the usual 'wasn't Mingus angry' anecdotes but, again, no memtion of Paul Chambers.[/quote]

You're quite right. That's the second documentary I've seen about Kind Of Blue, which features the most recognisable bass riff in all jazz, that doesn't mention Paul Chambers! What is going on?

Alex

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='448113' date='Mar 28 2009, 02:49 PM']Made me angry. Heard most of it before but the bit I got annoyed at was the fact that we had a long interview with Charlie Haden, stories about Eugene Wright (who?) and the usual 'wasn't Mingus angry' anecdotes but, again, no memtion of Paul Chambers.

Same old, same old.[/quote]

A good angle for your book, I think. The bass legend who noone ever talks about.

• 5 months later...

Reading Ron Carter's biography (Finding The Right Notes - ISBN-10: 0-615-26526-X ISBN-13: 978-0-615-26526-1), I have just rediscovered an early favourite double LP (yes, I know) called 'Herbie Hancock Quartet'. Hancock, Carter, Tony WIlliams and Wynton Marsalis recorded live. Absolutely magical stuff from all angles. It is because of the hours I spent listening to this lp that I can recognise all the players pretty much instantly. Truely interactive playing from all parties and some great arrangements. Diamond stuff.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012GMWUC/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012GM...cr_mts_prod_img[/url]

I, like many people here, have been to hundreds of gigs over the years, everyone from NIN to Harry Connick Jr, but by far the best of them all was Wynton Marsalis @ The Ritz. It has to be the only time I've ever had tears in my eyes during a gig. Listening to him solo that trumpet is the closest thing to heaven I can think of.

I'm a big time jazz fan, but I'm basically a big time [i]music[/i] fan first and foremost, and whatever the song is, and whoever recorded it, if I like it, to me, it's good, regardless of any ridiculous genres or labels.

Citi Movement by Wynton Marsalis, Kind of Blue (of course) by Miles Davis, Full House by Wes Montgomery, anything with Chet Baker on it, and more latterly Live @ 55 bar by Janek Gwizdala are must have albums IMO.

I don't think you were being fair by putting "Eugene Wright(Who?)"

While he may not have been as Innovative as some players,There is no denying that
Eugene Wright swung so hard,and was a major part of the great Dave Brubeck Quartet.

I think it's terrible that Paul Chambers doesn't get the respect he deserves,but it's just as
bad when great players like Eugene Wright are treated the same way.

No problem with people getting due credit but, in the history of jazz, EW is a bit part player compared to PC, who played on Kind of Blue, Giant Steps, Sketches of Spain, Porgy and Bess, Tenor Madness, Smokin at the Half Note, Full House, Workin', Relaxin', Steamin', Bass On Top, Blue Train, Blues and the Abstract Truth, Round Midnight, Someday My Prince Will Come.....I get that tv has to prioritise but EW over PC? Not defensible.