Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='230422' date='Jul 1 2008, 11:53 AM']Charlie Hunter - Right Now Move - some great grooves a la Medeski, Martin & Wood but with Curtis Fowlkes on trombone and John Ellis on sax/bass clarinet. Fernkky![/quote]

I have everything minus the last album that charlie has done and this is one of my favs. I was gutted when I had to let my 8 string go, I was under the delusion that one day I might have been able to play like him! :)

Kenny Garrett-Simply Said has been having a few spins because of Chris Dave on drums.

This week has mainly been checking out my vinyl...

Oscar Peterson - Nigerian Marketplace (oh NHOP I love you so)
Kenny Drew and NHOP - Duo

I always found NHOP to be one of those people that played clever for the sake of it and not because it was musically valid - bit like John 'I'm gonna stick this 32-note fill in now whether you like it or not' McLaughlin. I also found Pederson's tone to be a bit thin/whiny :) But, when he keeps a lid on it, its cool.

Just not one of my faves.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='231773' date='Jul 3 2008, 08:57 AM']I always found NHOP to be one of those people that played clever for the sake of it and not because it was musically valid - bit like John 'I'm gonna stick this 32-note fill in now whether you like it or not' McLaughlin. I also found Pederson's tone to be a bit thin/whiny :) But, when he keeps a lid on it, its cool.

Just not one of my faves.[/quote]
Are you actually me Bilbo?

In future I'm just going to post:
"What Bilbo said"

Edited by jakesbass

That's too weird to even contemplate.

I think we have just both been conditioned by periods in Cardiff playing with Andy Maule. He just wants everyone to be Steve Rodby :)

Anyway, you're a pro. What are you doing up this early?

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='231778' date='Jul 3 2008, 09:17 AM']That's too weird to even contemplate.

I think we have just both been conditioned by periods in Cardiff playing with Andy Maule. He just wants everyone to be Steve Rodby :huh:

Anyway, you're a pro. What are you doing up this early?[/quote]

I looooove Steve Rodby.
Did you know Andy sadly died?
I've got kids, and I don't need more than 6 hrs a night :)

PM'd

Rodby is another of my favourites. I love going back to some of his Metheny stuff and just listenig to his tone and time feel. I have a love/hate relationship with the Metehny Group cd 'We Live Here' because of teh core rhythms but Rodby's bass sound on that cd is awesome.

Like Steve Swallow, he gets the job done without the unnecessary fireworks. THey can burn if they need to but recognise that it is rarely the most musical option. I wish I had their discipline! In fact, I wish a lot more people had it!!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='231789' date='Jul 3 2008, 09:40 AM']PM'd

Rodby is another of my favourites. I love going back to some of his Metheny stuff and just listenig to his tone and time feel. I have a love/hate relationship with the Metehny Group cd 'We Live Here' because of teh core rhythms but Rodby's bass sound on that cd is awesome.

Like Steve Swallow, he gets the job done without the unnecessary fireworks. THey can burn if they need to but recognise that it is rarely the most musical option. I wish I had their discipline! In fact, I wish a lot more people had it!!![/quote]

This is interesting.
Forgive this lack of modesty but Mike Walker recently said as a compliment to me, "when everbody else is trying to play a million notes you are trying to play one as well as it can be played, If I ever need a true minim I will give you a call"
I was hugely flattered, and it sums up what I am about, I want to play the simple stuff as devastatingly well as I can.
Given that this is in the 'I Love Jazz' thread maybe it will encourage some discussion on what is the most musical option, because as you say those guys' recognition of that is what sets them apart, and in my view makes them the guys to aspire to.

Absolutely - a 'who is the slowest bass player in jazz' thread.

Charlie Haden!

Did you ever hear Marc Johnson's 2nd Bass Desires LP 'Second Sight'? There is a tune on there (can't remember which) which is the slowest groove I have ever heard. Much harder than be-bop.

That kind of feedback from Mike Walker would make my day. As Jim Mullen once said of me;

'who?'

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='231789' date='Jul 3 2008, 09:40 AM']PM'd

Like Steve Swallow, he gets the job done without the unnecessary fireworks. THey can burn if they need to but recognise that it is rarely the most musical option. I wish I had their discipline! In fact, I wish a lot more people had it!!![/quote]

Just been listening to Steve Swallow, with John Scofield on the album 'En route', a live album recorded at the Blue note in New York.

What a fantastic sound, hard to believe that he uses a metal pick.

My brother who is a classical pianist calls Jazz "musical w******g"
can't say I agree , but he has a point with some stuff, I think thats what the Fast Show picked up on.
I've listened to plenty Miles Davis and thought "what the f*** is that about" and some Jaco live solos come to that.

What pigeon hole do we put George Melly in ? he once kissed my hand at a gig....

To my mind Brand X are the epitome of modern Jazz ..........I'll get me coat.........

Edited by Prosebass

Hey Prosebase - your brother is showing his ignorance, I am afraid. Some bad jazz is bad but thats bad jazz - its like judging classical music on the basis of Bond or Myleene Klass. Classical musicians are trained in exactly the opposite way to jazz musicians and many classical musicians can't play jazz (I had to call the Principal Bassist from the BBC Welsh Symphony orchestra in as a dep once and he was shocking - the bands view not mine). More to the point, they don't [i]understand [/i] it and are critical of it until they do. Then they realise that it is as demanding as anything they achieve as musicians. There is a great book called 'Music of the Common Tounge' by Christopher Small that explains it very well - I really recommend you and your brother read it.

Brand X are probably not jazz per se; jazz rock? fusion? Prog. rock even? Not sure but there is a significant body of critics and musicians that would balk at the suggestion that Brand X and Duke Ellington played in the same genre.

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='jakesbass' post='231800' date='Jul 3 2008, 09:54 AM']This is interesting.
Forgive this lack of modesty but Mike Walker recently said as a compliment to me, "when everbody else is trying to play a million notes you are trying to play one as well as it can be played, If I ever need a true minim I will give you a call"
I was hugely flattered, and it sums up what I am about, I want to play the simple stuff as devastatingly well as I can.
Given that this is in the 'I Love Jazz' thread maybe it will encourage some discussion on what is the most musical option, because as you say those guys' recognition of that is what sets them apart, and in my view makes them the guys to aspire to.[/quote]

How interesting, that's how I've always felt. I once remarked to a drummer I was working with for the first time on a jazz gig that I could tell when the rhythm was swinging when I could move things along with a simple two in the bar under a gentle ride (listen to Cannonball Adderly playing 'Soon' - not sure who the bassist was). He replied, 'yes, but a minim's a long note to get wrong, isn't it!' A drummer with some intelligence - and wit.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='235510' date='Jul 9 2008, 09:22 AM']Hey Prosebase - your brother is showing his ignorance, I am afraid. Some bad jazz is bad but thats bad jazz - its like judging classical music on the basis of Bond or Myleene Klass. Classical musicians are trained in exactly the opposite way to jazz musicians and many classical musicians can't play jazz (I had to call the Principal Bassist from the BBC Welsh Symphony orchestra in as a dep once and he was shocking - the bands view not mine). More to the point, they don't [i]understand [/i] it and are critical of it until they do. Then they realise that it is as demanding as anything they achieve as musicians. There is a great book called 'Music of the Common Tounge' by Christopher Small that explains it very well - I really recommend you and your brother read it.

Brand X are probably not jazz per se; jazz rock? fusion? Prog. rock even? Not sure but there is a significant body of critics and musicians that would balk at the suggestion that Brand X and Duke Ellington played in the same genre.[/quote]

Our old Keyboard player who was probably the best pianist Ive ever seen and had a doctorate in music from the RCM. He used to be a big jazz piss taker, even though he was guilty of playing it for a living. His most common saying was

"is in tune"? "its good enough for Jazz" :)

• 1 month later...

'Trio Music' by Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes. How blinking marvelous is that?

Just got hold of 'Damaged In Transit' by Steve Swallow with Chris Potter and Adam Nussbaum. Flippin' brillo pads.

And 'Mud Slide Slim' by James Taylor - not even jazz but it gets an honourable mention for just being lovely and for influencing Pat Metheny's tune 'James'.

'And His Mother Called Him Bill' - Duke Ellington from 1967 - dedicated to the recently deceased Billy Strayhorn. If you have one Ellington CD, make it that sucker!

Loose Tubes, how cool were they? Dave DeFries arrangement of his own 'Hermetos Giant Breakfast' - made the hairs on the back of my teeth stand up! I played with Iain Ballamy once (its always once with me....?) - what a gent!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='130065' date='Jan 29 2008, 04:30 PM']Michael Brecker's Don't Try This At Home - Itsbynne Reel!!
Pat Metheny's 80/81 - the dogs danglies![/quote]

No offense intended, but I can't stand Metheny or Brecker, although there is much jazz I do love.

My dad is a jazz trumpet player/big band leader. I was listening to jazz before I came out of the womb. No other music (except on the radio) was allowed in my house when I was growing up. My musical hero when I was 8 was Buddy Rich. My first concert was Stan Kenton (at Southport IIRC), and the next 4 were Buddy, Woody Herman, Louis Bellson and Buddy (although not necessarily in that order). My dad used to play with people like Don Rendell, who used to come over from the States and stay at our house, and I clearly remember being in a car with Pete King and having a conversation about playing bass. So instinctively & emotionally jazz, or certain sections of what can be called jazz (I don't think "jazz-funk", if we have to use categories, is anything much to do with jazz as I understand it at all, and I know my dad hates it; he certainly wouldn't class it as jazz!) are a big part of me, although my theory sucks :) . I will however say that my love of jazz became somewhat marginalized when I discovered the Beatles, then later Prog and what used to be known as Heavy Rock. Oh, and ABBA (and no I'm not joking...).

I now love all kinds of music, including jazz; in fact pretty much every type of music out there, although there are artists in many sub-categories (I too hate musical subdivisions when it comes down to it; it's all music!!!) which I don't care for - see beginning of my post for examples! The one thing I don't care for is "head music", even in jazz. For me it has to contain/convey genuine emotion. Obviously every individual's perception of that will differ; some might find John Scofield emotionally transcendant, whereas I just find him horrible to listen to. Obviously Bilbo has already hinted at a distaste for John McLauglin, who is an artist I adore (certainly in his peak phases at least). So ultimately it's horses for courses, and it's up to everyone to love what moves them. I would far sooner someone love music I hate than not love anything at all.

Although to second another poster, Trad Jazz.....ergggg! Not for me I'm afraid!

Edited by 4000

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here heard Hal Wilner's 1992 'Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus' cd? Its marvelous! Features a range of musicians from Bill Frissel to Keith Richards to Vernon Reid to Henry Threadgill and also features some 'made' instruments from Harry Partch. Stunning stuff and one that really shows the importance of the creative producer in a recording situation. It also shows the flexibility of Mingus' compositions.

Did a quick check of this thread and didn't see him mentioned, so ....

Scott LaFaro on the Bill Evans 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard' and 'Waltz for Debby' sessions, what a bass player ... and tragically killed in a car crash shortly after recording the dates that were released posthumously to form this double-set

That Evans/La Faro/Motian Vanguard LP is a great recording but what amazes me is that there is this ground-breaking, creative artistry going on but, in the background, you can hear people's cutlery clanking away as they dive into their nosebags, oblivious to what's happening in front of them! :)

Paul Motian - now there's a real jazz drummer, one I would love to play with.... :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='318189' date='Oct 30 2008, 09:53 AM']Just listening to the Bill Evans 'Paris Concert - Edition One' CD with Marc Johnson and Joe LaBarbera on bass and drums respectively. Their version of 'My Romance' is an absolute diamond, really takes you somewhere new. Marvelous trio.[/quote]

I absolutely love that record. A fantastic rythm section. Just caught the Mclaughlin/Corea All Star Group over the weekend. Absolutely phenomenol stuff with Christian McBride doing his double act beautifully.

[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=x11veANL8bs"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=x11veANL8bs[/url]

Edited by jmanfunk

[quote name='tauzero' post='117974' date='Jan 10 2008, 04:47 PM']I think I'll try my hand at some death jazz.[/quote]

what about "Black jazz"

it isnt rude. its a band called Ephel Duath. they used to be a black metal band which developed into a weird jazz experimental thing which is all a bit mental really but their album "the painters pallette" was quite brilliant crossing jazz over with the likes of black and death metal.

if you like your metal check them out, especially that particular album. [url="http://www.myspace.com/ephelduath"]http://www.myspace.com/ephelduath[/url]