Why become a member? ×

Black basses

EdwardHimself

I suppose I have been quite remiss in not participating in this thread before, considering that I don't possess a bass that isn't black. I therefore give you:-
My first bass, Westone Concord I, circa 1984-5. Still played on a daily basis

Fender Mex Precision, rosewood board, Wizard Thumper

Shuker JJ Burnel

[quote name='Algae' post='1154997' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:03 AM']Mmmm that Shuker would go nice with my JJ Burnel head , how does it compare to your Fender?[/quote]

Piddles all over it. Lighter, more powerful, better sound, better made. Tone switch that actually does something. The Mex is, to be fair, my backup bass-before I got the Shuker my main bass was an '07 US Precision (in black, of course). I was perfectly happy with it, but the opportunity to get the Shuker happened, so the P had to go. I like the look of the JJ amp, but TBH, even if I was in a position to get one, I don't think I would. My GB Shuttle suits me so well, amd I think having JJ's signature bass [i]and[/i] amp is taking things a bit too far!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1155810' date='Mar 9 2011, 08:39 PM']Piddles all over it. Lighter, more powerful, better sound, better made. Tone switch that actually does something. The Mex is, to be fair, my backup bass-before I got the Shuker my main bass was an '07 US Precision (in black, of course). I was perfectly happy with it, but the opportunity to get the Shuker happened, so the P had to go. I like the look of the JJ amp, but TBH, even if I was in a position to get one, I don't think I would. My GB Shuttle suits me so well, amd I think having JJ's signature bass [i]and[/i] amp is taking things a bit too far![/quote]

Sounds great , what is the neck like ? Typical P or thinner Jazz style ?

[quote name='Algae' post='1155867' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:21 PM']Sounds great , what is the neck like ? Typical P or thinner Jazz style ?[/quote]

Typical P, as it's based on his green 60's Precision. I'd seen comments about the width of the neck and was expecting it to be huge, but being used to P's, I took to it immediately. Slightly rounder profile than my US, pretty much identical to the Mex.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' timestamp='1305637310' post='1234304']
Nothing too fancy, but she's all mine and I love her to bits...

My Squier Vintage Modified '77 Jazz (with apologies for the blue lead... :rolleyes: )

[/quote]

Nice - but for God's sake man - lose that blue lead!!! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Thinking about it, black has been the most common colour of all the basses I have owned. Here are all the ones I can recall (and have photos of):

Gibson G-3

Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard

Yamaha BB300 and BB614

Yamaha BB350F

Gibson SG-Z

G&L El Toro

That's it, I think. Still got the Yamaha BB350F and the G&L El Toro. Miss the Epi a bit.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1363693859' post='2015875']
Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard

That's it, I think. Still got the Yamaha BB350F and the G&L El Toro. Miss the Epi a bit.
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I had the exact same bass as that, fleabayed it about 6 or 7 years and have missed it ever since!!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1290266455' post='1030505']
Not got one myself, but I figured that we didn't want anyone accusing us of being racist (bassist?) with the white basses thread lol. Plus there are some nice ones out there. So... what you got?
[/quote]

:hi: OK. It's a J.D. custom four in kinda black... matt black, opaque black, translucent black... :rolleyes:

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1363725218' post='2016689']
:hi: OK. It's a J.D. custom four in kinda black... matt black, opaque black, translucent black... :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Jesus, that looks awesome and something that Batman might play.
Nicest JD I have ever seen!