Why become a member? ×

Fender P '78 vs Sadowsky UV70.

matski

I've been offered a Sadowsky UV70 5 string as a trade for my '78 Fender Precision. However I know bugger all about Sadowskys, apart from what I have read on their website....

What is the general consensus of opinion as far as this particular model of Sadowsky goes? Obviously they are fairly different basses as the UV70 is a SuperJazz and the P bass is, well, just a P bass. Anyone on here got a UV and can furnish me with some words of wisdom?

So would you go for it or not? Here are pics of the two basses in question:

[attachment=64103:Obraz_674.jpg] [attachment=64104:78_Fender_P.jpg]

One word... Awsome...if you like an active super jazz...The Sadowsky pre is very good...and sounds very, well...Sadowsky...I played one in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow and the tone was to die for...

The comparison your wanting an opinion on is hard because there very different.... i would go for it but im a jazz bass nut... im sure a Pbass man will chime in here as my Pbass knowledge is limited

different animals...i suggest you play the Sadowsky and see if YOU like it....

I LOVE my '78 Fender Precision & all I'd say is these two basses are very different animals. Ultimately it's your decision and you'll have to try both basses together. Really it's a question of retro thump vs modern active and everyone has their own opinion on what they prefer. I think it's fair to say I've nailed my colours to the mast long ago! :)

[quote name='matski' post='1026257' date='Nov 16 2010, 07:34 PM']But the Sadowsky is supposed to be a 'retro' bass, isn't it? Hence the ultra vintage (UV) name and the Vintage Tone Control function.[/quote]

Well it is and it isn't. It is designed to look like a vintage bass, but to me Sadowsky basses have a quite modern sound, even when run passive. The VTC helps to take a bit of the modern 'zing' off the bass and is a cool feature. For me Sadowsky sits halfway between retro bass and a really modern type bass. If you want a Fender sound though, I would suggest sticking to Fender.

I bought an MV4 model and love it, I'm not really a fan of the UV series, because I'm not a fan of neck binding and it has one fret less than the one I bought.

As an owner of both a Sadowsky and a 1978 Precision though, its going to be the Precision every time. Really cool black vintage Fender Precisions are not very common and are tricky to replace once you get rid of them. Really nice Sadowskys are fairly easy to find, though they cost a lot.

Edited by thodrik

The basses you're comparing are realy different..

The Sadowsky is called a UV based on it's large body shape and old school styling. I think they have single coils, if not it's an option for sure. But sadowsky are modern sounding basses so don't expect old school thump and growl. Though they are fantastic, I don't think it takes the concept of your p bass further - repeating whats been said above - different animals.

Good luck, and it's not a bad position you're in!

Tough!

Is it a Metro? If it is then id 100% keep the P....

If its an NYC...then its more fair....even though I have no clue what the P is worth (it looks very nice!).

For me, the P will always have that 'vintage' value to it. Sadowsky basses are very well made, but are readily available.

Personally, I dont like black blocks on maple...its rosewood with pearl inlays or nothing!

I'd keep the P over the Metro..assuming it is a Metro.
If it was deal on here, I'd expect money the P's way...possibly

As for the expected sounds, chalk and cheese, plus you have the 5 element.
Agree about the blocks, and I'd keep the P even though I am a J5 man completely

I only say the above as I haven't seen, heard or played either and you should definitely do that to make your final decision.

If it were a 50-50 and you don't have to have the 5, I'd stick with the P as it would probably potentially gain quite a bit of money over the S J5 in the future..IMO.

[quote name='matski' post='1026770' date='Nov 17 2010, 12:05 PM']Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. Funny how a lot of people slag off the late 70s Fender Ps, yet when push comes to shove the general opinion is 'keep it'! :)[/quote]

I think the thing is that a P bass, to a lot of people, is not as exotic as a Sadowsky. Some comments are based on Value and looks, rather than sound a playability. If you love the P bass thing then don't expect the Sadowsky to float your boat in the same way. Both sound great, but are different basses, one doesn't 'upgrade' from the other if you see what I mean.

Mmm depends what you want. I've a Sadowsky and have owned one of Beedster's many 70s Precisions.

If you just fancy a change and like active Jazzes I believe the Sadowsky is one of the best out there - the neck is to die for.

If you won't particularly play it that much then I'd keep the Precision

what a dilemma! as a 77 p-bass owner i'd stick with the fender, i actually got my natural 77 in trade for a black 78 (identical to the one you have) and it was a beaut (i wanted the natural one as it was my dream bass and had a certain mojo), the guy i traded with has a large collection of basses with a sadowsky 5 string in there. i'd say that having played them both, if i was allowed just one bass (for whatever reason) i'd go with the precision, but i wouldn't pass up the chance to add a sadowsky to the collection one day.