Why become a member? ×

I just got me a*** kicked.....

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1025675' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:41 AM']I am doing a show next month; Jesus Christ Superstar, and got the charts through on the weekend. Spent some time with them yesterday and, 'kin 'ell, they're hard to read cold. I got there in the end but, flamin' Nora. I didn't know he had it in him!![/quote]

You sure it's not his arranger...?

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1025675' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:41 AM']....I am doing a show next month; Jesus Christ Superstar, and got the charts through on the weekend. Spent some time with them yesterday and, 'kin 'ell, they're hard to read cold. I got there in the end but, flamin' Nora. I didn't know he had it in him!!....[/quote]
I guess even pop songs can be a challenge.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1025696' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:53 AM']I guess even pop songs can be a challenge.[/quote]

Have you [i]heard[/i] JCS? I Don't Know How To Love Him and the title track are easy enough, its the timing changes, sixteenth note grooves, slap etc etc. Its more like Opera than pop.

Its not the PLAYING of it that is hard, its the reading of the charts!!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1025675' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:41 AM']I am doing a show next month; Jesus Christ Superstar, and got the charts through on the weekend. Spent some time with them yesterday and, 'kin 'ell, they're hard to read cold. I got there in the end but, flamin' Nora. I didn't know he had it in him!![/quote]

Perhaps you could try tabs??? :)

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1025728' date='Nov 16 2010, 12:18 PM']Have you [i]heard[/i] JCS? I Don't Know How To Love Him and the title track are easy enough, its the timing changes, sixteenth note grooves, slap etc etc. Its more like Opera than pop.

Its not the PLAYING of it that is hard, its the reading of the charts!![/quote]
I've got the record.

The band on the original album was effectively Joe Cocker's Grease Band, with Alan Spenner on bass, one of my favourite players. He was a great talent and didn’t achieve all that he should have, partly due to his “recreational” activities! Still he produced some of the best bass playing to come out of the UK.

Over the years I've tried to get bands to play some of these songs but they always chicken out! You should be in for an enjoyable experience.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1025675' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:41 AM']I didn't know he had it in him!![/quote]

Surprising aint it.
David Cullam was his arranger and sorted all his stuff out.
I did 2 tours totalling over 2 yeras and the DVD/CD of JCS for Webber about ten years ago.
The first tour had a two week rehearsal period, and we needed it! :)

Great blow and some good toon's though.
Enjoy...

Garry

Hmm, that's strange - about year and half ago I was offered to dep for this show, and my friend who I had to dep for said it was 'easy indeed' to read, and, moreover, we would have had one rehearsal before the show.. :)

Finally, I didn't get to see the charts, cuz there happened some misunderstanding, and other fella got the dep..

Oh, and did I mention that my reading was poor indeed at that time.. :)

there's some fantastic funk playing on that. we used to do a very messy medley of tunes off JCS (the l.p.)

i think it's more to do with the band involved, rather than andrew-lloyd-webber though. groove vs theory perhaps ? tee hee..(runs away)..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LM2iQ8p7A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LM2iQ8p7A[/url]

and a few minutes into this is awesome..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pdWQT1_8E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pdWQT1_8E[/url]

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='Faithless' post='1032993' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:14 PM'][b]Hmm, that's strange[/b] - about year and half ago I was offered to dep for this show, and my friend who I had to dep for said it was 'easy indeed' to read, and, moreover, we would have had one rehearsal before the show.. :)

Finally, I didn't get to see the charts, cuz there happened some misunderstanding, and other fella got the dep..

Oh, and did I mention that my reading was poor indeed at that time.. :lol:[/quote]

The deal for depping on the ALW version for the rhythm section i did was......
Watch the particular chair in the pit for two shows, take a copy of the pad, video of the conductor carving [if you wanted it] and mini disc of the show away and learn it.When you were ready your first show would be a 'baby sit' - [The dep would play, and the regular would sit behind and prompt the conductor cues if needed] not a nice situation for both. It is harder for the deps than the regular, in some situations sitting in a dark pit, no amp,at the mercy of the carver for cues, just headphones and feeling all alone. Of course there are easier situations, shows like Grease where you just get up on the riser and play
grooves. So i understand what Bilbo means about 'asskicking'.. :)

Garry

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1032763' date='Nov 22 2010, 03:45 PM']I don't doubt it would be for many people - I'm just a little surprised that Bilbo is one of them, if indeed he is.[/quote]

Playing shows is cool - low input high return stuff (except this one which is high input). I like doing them for the reading practice but couldn't do them all of the time like some do. But this is a challenge so I will enjoy it.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1033053' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:57 PM']Playing shows is cool - low input high return stuff (except this one which is high input). I like doing them for the reading practice but couldn't do them all of the time like some do. But this is a challenge so I will enjoy it.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I have done countless shows (on Cello not Bass) and there is a certain amount of pressure to perform well (It's called musicians union rates).

The 'dots' vary enormously in difficulty, as indeed the quality of the copies, most originals are handwritten and then copied! Some of the stuff will be a breeze to sight read, I'm thinking 'The King and I' and others a bloody nightmare, thinking 'Parade'.

After two band calls and a week of it though you've got the thing well and truly nailed and go to bed every night humming the catchier tunes (which is irritating when your'e knackered). I haven't done JCS, but love him or hate him ALW is a master in this genre!

Good luck with it

LC

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1035014' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:55 PM']Westbourne Sports College in Ipswich (wherever the hell that is!!)[/quote]

I thought by some small chance you would be playing bass for a performance my mother is taking part in. Not the same.

Talking of JCSS - I was surprised how you had to approach ALW to get the permission and music to perform it.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1035193' date='Nov 24 2010, 03:47 PM']....Talking of JCSS - I was surprised how you had to approach ALW to get the permission and music to perform it....[/quote]

It's the same for all "amateur" show productions. They won't be allowed to perform if there is an "official" touring or West End production currently running.

• 2 weeks later...