Why become a member? ×

does this make me weird ?

ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='116553' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:12 PM']seems a of of people really favour the bridge pickup on jazz basses...

i only ever use the bridge on mine...not blend of the back at all - i find the bridge far too nasal.

hmmm...[/quote]

Yes - it does make you weird :) I thought the bridge was the back :huh:

Hamster

i dont know what hamsters on about lol :) . i agree with you, when i had a jazz i played mostly on the from pup, with a little bit of bridge pup just to sgtop it being too thin. i completely agree about the back pickup being nasal, only on a stingray have i ever found a back pup that i REALLY liked.

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='ahpook' post='116557' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:17 PM']dunno what you're talking about :huh:

serves me right for posting whilst eating a very hot chilli[/quote]

Yew use the wrong worms entirely so that other people cannot underhand a bird yew are spraying. :) **

Hamster

** © Ronnie Barker

[quote name='ahpook' post='116553' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:12 PM']seems a of of people really favour the bridge pickup on jazz basses...

i only ever use the neck on mine...not blend of the back at all - i find the bridge far too nasal.

hmmm...[/quote]

My basses are switched so you *can't* have the bridge pup on alone. So, Neck only or both are my options. No panning required either. My Shuker has such a strong tone, I don't worry about it... Even sounds great with a flat EQ.

On a bass with a pickup pan control I tend to use it in the mid position with an even blend of both pickups & have both full up on my jazz, so even-stevens there as well. Only time I play back pickup alone is if I want to play a very funky solo or clearer harmonics, but usually I tend to vary my RH playing position to vary the sound. Subtle, eh?

I'm a bit confused, then!

Bridge to the fore on the Squier 70s VMJ with a BadAssII strung with DR FatBeams.
Neck to the fore on the 2004 MIA Jazz S-1 strung with Fender 7150s

Talk about chalk and cheese. You'd barely recognise the respective sounds as coming from two instruments with the same basic design.
In other words, do what sounds best to you!

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='116593' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:44 PM']I'm a neck man, or both full up. Never just bridge. Or I actually use the S1 switching. That makes me throb downstairs.[/quote]

I don't get the S1 switch :) never use mine at all, isn't it supposed to be like a P bass sound?

[quote name='Raggy' post='116797' date='Jan 9 2008, 09:34 AM']Im weird :) and only use the front pickup on my Aerodyne. The bass is loaded with a Wizard Thumper and an '84, dont get me wrong the '84 is fantastically strong but the thumper is astounding.
Maybe I should be thinking about getting a P bass!!!!![/quote]

Although mine are stock pups, I tend to do the same, I found however that the bridge didn't make much difference to the aero if you're using the neck, the p-pup just over powers it.

My VMJ is about 90% vol on neck, 40-50% vol on bridge, strung with roto flats, the bridges adds a little bit of a burpy clarity.

[quote]I found however that the bridge didn't make much difference to the aero if you're using the neck, the p-pup just over powers it.[/quote]

I replaced the stock ceramic J pickup with an alnico NOS US one in my Aero...now I get a great sound from both.

My Aerodyne is everything up full. So is the VMJ Squier. The BB614 is normally everything up full, but occasionally i solo the P pickup. I have a SX P copy on the way...no difficult decision there then!

I never use a bridge pick up solo'd but they are good to have in the blend to add a bit of growl.

I actually spend a bit of time adjusting pickup heights on my basses so I get the tone I like with everything up full. The BB614 definitely has the bridge pick up slightly higher.

p.

[quote name='paul h' post='116858' date='Jan 9 2008, 10:52 AM']I replaced the stock ceramic J pickup with an alnico NOS US one in my Aero...now I get a great sound from both.

My Aerodyne is everything up full. So is the VMJ Squier. The BB614 is normally everything up full, but occasionally i solo the P pickup. I have a SX P copy on the way...no difficult decision there then!

I never use a bridge pick up solo'd but they are good to have in the blend to add a bit of growl.

I actually spend a bit of time adjusting pickup heights on my basses so I get the tone I like with everything up full. The BB614 definitely has the bridge pick up slightly higher.

p.[/quote]

Thats interesting, If i put both pickups on full the volume of the D and G strings drops a lot. It's like with both on full they phase each other out. Is the wiring wrong??

i only ever use the neck on mine...not blend of the back at all - i find the bridge far too nasal.

hmmm...[/quote]

IMO with the PJ combo both on full it gives me just what I need - a nice bit of 'zing' to the sound.

[quote]Thats interesting, If i put both pickups on full the volume of the D and G strings drops a lot. It's like with both on full they phase each other out. Is the wiring wrong??[/quote]

That doesn't sound right! Maybe it is wired wrong or the D+G part of the split P is just in the wrong way around.

p.

[quote name='paul h' post='116883' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:36 AM']That doesn't sound right! Maybe it is wired wrong or the D+G part of the split P is just in the wrong way around.

p.[/quote]

Think i will have to get it looked at. It has always been like that. The guy at my local guitar shop had a look when he wired the new pups in said it all looked OK.

[quote name='Raggy' post='116888' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:42 AM']The guy at my local guitar shop had a look when he wired the new pups in said it all looked OK.[/quote]
You should take it back to him & get him to do it properly at no extra charge - or take it to someone else that knows what they're doing and get the original guy to pay for it.

I'm guessing this chap is not a luthier, but a shop owner/assistant that does setups & odd-jobs?