Why become a member? ×

Still trying to find "the one".

ThomBassmonkey

Well I've managed to sell my amp now, so I can afford to be a little more picky than when I was trying to trade my amp since I'll hopefully have the good solid cash to buy something that fits the bill.

My perfect bass would have:

Maple board (not essential, but I've never had a maple boarded guitar/bass and I love the look of them).
35" scale or fanned fret (not had a chance to have a go on a fanned yet, hopefully on Saturday at the bass bash).
Fat, punchy tone but still well defined, I like fairly growly basses too. I was thinking maybe J/J config, but I do love the sound of Bongos, so I'd happily go with MM styles too (especially if they have a coil tap).
5 String (essential, won't even consider 4 strings, maybe 6 string but I'd rather stick to 5).
Ideally medum string spacing.
£800ish, could maybe go up to £1000 if the bass was really nice and a good deal.
Looks a little different, it doesn't have to look like a Carl Thompson or a Wishbass, but I don't want just another Fender clone. Even something like a Lakland with a nice top looks different enough to me.
Must be red or natural (preferably) or maybe black. Just personal preference, but if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a bass, I want it to look right. :)

I really do like my Warwick Thumb BO, but I'm a very heavy player so I'd rather go 35" scale for the extra tension, also after playing a few Jazz style basses, I realise that I still prefer the thinner necks (I played an Ibanez BTB for 10 years and the neck was great, but I don't think I'd go back to Ibanez at the moment).

Any suggestions are more than welcome. :)

Thom

I am trying to find as many as possible to try out, but all the shops around here only stock the usual suspects (Fenders and budget Ibanezes), I don't think I've ever seen a Lakland or Dingwall in the flesh. Same for other basses that could potentially fit the bill like Bongos, Shukers, G&Ls. If I have a good idea what would suit my needs, I'd be prepared to travel to give them a go and could organise a day out and about going to shops a bit further away for it.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1023587' date='Nov 14 2010, 04:49 PM']...I'd be prepared to travel to give them a go and could organise a day out and about going to shops a bit further away for it.[/quote]

How about a nice day out in Warwick at Bass Direct - www.bassdirect.co.uk/
Loads of interesting stuff there and only about 60 miles from Nottingham

I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect bass. So just look for one that makes you happy when you pick it up. For me that was a Lakland. There's probably a used Lakland skyline in the For Sale section. If you want to save some more, there's also a Sadowsky Metro 5 in the FS section.

To start off with I'd ignore most of the specs and the name on the headstock and just go an try every 5-string bass in the shops in Nottingham that you like the look of. Then take a day out to go the Bass Direct in Warwick and another for the Bass Gallery in London and repeat the process there. Even if you don't find the bass you want immediately you'll have a much better idea if what you want is feasible at your price point or if you're going to have to save some more in order to get what you want.

Also I wouldn't get too hung up on the scale length unless you really like the feel of 35" scale. IME getting a good feeling and sounding low B (with is what I'm guessing you are after) has a lot more to do with the construction of the bass (and matching the right string to it) rather than simply the vibrating length of the string. In fact for me the least impressive sounding B strings on my basses are on the two 35" scale ones. The best is on my 34" scale Sei.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1023605' date='Nov 14 2010, 05:08 PM']I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect bass. So just look for one that makes you happy when you pick it up. For me that was a Lakland. There's probably a used Lakland skyline in the For Sale section. If you want to save some more, there's also a Sadowsky Metro 5 in the FS section.[/quote]

There may not be any single "perfect bass" thats certainly true, but there is always one which just feels 'right' in your hands!

For me, my 'one' With 4 strings, is the Attitude, never played a 4 string i've liekd teh feel of more, or heard one i've like the tone of more!

How ever 5 and 6 strings are a different storey! haha

Tried an H/J? (Bridge/neck) Might be worth a try?

AC

The problem with Nottingham (as I said in the first post) is that all the shops there just sell Fenders and a few Ibanez. Derby's a little better, but there's still only maybe 1 SR and a Thumb BO5 (same as mine). I'll have to try out Bass Direct, never really heard of it more than in passing.

The reason I say I want 35" scale is because on my Warwick I still feel it's a little slack when I get carried away. My Warwick is a brilliant bass and I have no intentions of getting rid of it (or even replacing it as a main gigging bass currently) but I feel like I'm compromising on the playability when I fancy something with a thinner neck and higher string tension (without actually putting thicker strings on it).

Fair enough if you've already exhausted the possibilities of the Nottingham shops, although have you been in Fuzz recently? They had a couple of Sandbergs and MTDs last time I looked which might be of interest?

Anyway in that case it's time to organise your days out to Bass Direct and The Bass Gallery (and if you're feeling adventurous maybe The Bass Merchant in Colchester). However I can't help feeling that unless you're ultimately going buy privately second hand your current budget isn't going to be high enough, especially in light of the bass you are already using.

Also I still think that the need for 35" scale is a bit of a red herring. If the strings on your Warwick still feel a bit slack when you really dig in then maybe you haven't yet found the perfect strings for you and that particular bass. What are you using at the moment?

Id try as much as you can. I spent a long time trying 5 strings, and came back to Stingray 5s. Tried/tested formula of 17.5mm spacing, awesome tight B, and great style/sound.

Darren at the Bass Merchant in Colchester has helped me with a lot of 'tests' of various basses. If you can visit there, you will have a very relaxed and fun day!

Im lucky in a way that I can go round Newcastle trying basses out if I fancy it, but ultimately I usually buy through the Bass Merchant as they are patient and friendly.

To be honest, I've not been into Nottingham in a few weeks, but every time I've been in there's been no choice at all. Maybe I should pop in and have another look.

I am going to buy 2nd hand privately. :)

I'm using Roto Swingbass at the moment I think. I'm not really a string conesseur to be honest. hehe

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely make my way to a couple more shops to look around.

I thought the same..... till I happened upon a 2nd hand '04 Alleva-Copollo EUT5 (essentially a Jazz style-with master tone Control & 2 band pre-thats beautiful- & active /passive option. Has vintage-SMALL- frets & handpicked woods.

[b]It's THE ONE!!!! [/b]

I'm now considering just WHICH of my other GOOD -damn good- basses to sell 1st.. a Bongo, a SR, A Warwick, 2 Fenders.... :)

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1025479' date='Nov 16 2010, 07:51 AM']I thought the same..... till I happened upon a 2nd hand '04 Alleva-Copollo EUT5 (essentially a Jazz style-with master tone Control & 2 band pre-thats beautiful- & active /passive option. Has vintage-SMALL- frets & handpicked woods.

[b]It's THE ONE!!!! [/b]

I'm now considering just WHICH of my other GOOD -damn good- basses to sell 1st.. a Bongo, a SR, A Warwick, 2 Fenders.... :)[/quote]

Interested to know what you think of your Bongo!

After playing a Dingwall through my amp yesterday, the tone didn't quite cut the mustard for me. The one I tried at BD sounded brilliant through the GB rig, but I'm not using a GB rig, so that makes the difference I guess.

Since I didn't get to try out any of the other basses at BD (gutted about that, Mark (?) disappeared into the back to take a call and I had a long drive back so I ended up just setting off), I'm back to being unsure about what I'm after. I liked a G&L I tried through my GK yesterday, so I think humbuckers is possibly on the cards and I still like J style pups, I'm unsure about soapbars now, they don't seem to have the punch of buckers or the clarity of Js to me through my GK rig, though I've only tried a few.

I'm still looking at Laklands (55-02 maybe or a JO) and Bongos (HS or HH pref) lustily, the G&L also impressed.

Is there anyone around the Derbys/Notts area that has a Lakland or Bongo 5er that wouldn't mind me invading their house with my amp or coming to mine (I'll give up some petrol money, of course) at some point to see how they match up?