Why become a member? ×

Thread removed 12-11-2010

watton_earth

Sounds a cool project, especially considering how impossible it is to get hold of an original. I wanted to build myself a 4005 (I hear they made a 6 and an 8 (octave) string version too) but I haven't had the time so far. Rickenbacker reckon they'll never make them again because of the limited demand so if this works well you might find more people doing the same thing. I'll be watching this thread....

[quote name='watton_earth' post='1020190' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:00 PM'][b]Step 2: Buy a fake rickenbacker from ebay and potentially alienate your self from other forum fakenbacker fans[/b]

I found a bass on this forum, it had been passed between other forum members and they rated it, although not enough to keep the bass longer than a few months each. It was advertised as imaculate condition.

CMI Bass - £400
Courier + insurance - £60

PS: To the former owners, I know you'll probably be reading this post in a few hours so I have a few things to say.

I have the upmost respect for you and the other basschat rickenbacker fake fans. I only joined this forum recently but have read your posts for months and enjoyed it.

No offence intended but this bass is now mine. It's going to be modified.

That said feel free to flame away.

Many thanks.[/quote]

As one of the ex owners of this rather nice CMI I'd just like to wish you luck mate. It's a mental idea, I have no idea how the logistics of it are going to work but hey, it's interesting! Like you say, it's your bass,if I'dhave been precious about her I'd never have sold her in the first place.

Good luck!

Great, will be watching. Do you know how hollow the hollow is, was it just one side, looking at others there seem to be double binding versions too.
This guy went the whole hog it seems..... [url="http://HTTP://williamyoungguitars.com/rutherforddoubleneck.htm"]HTTP://williamyoungguitars.com/rutherforddoubleneck.htm[/url]

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1020398' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:03 PM']yeah, i love this idea, a nice two finger salute to John Hall who says he won't build another 4005 as there is 'no demand'.

Can't wait to see it!

Miss my Ricky.[/quote]

I'm still here! :)

[quote name='watton_earth' post='1021431' date='Nov 12 2010, 02:02 PM'][b]Source of inspiration[/b]

I read a forum where a chap had attempted to build his own 4005 from scratch. (see below)

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283322"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283322[/url]

One of the last posts he made stated that he had bought a 4003 and condsidered selling the project as a job lot. I tracked down one of his buddies who told me he'd emegrated but told me I could contact him on facebook.

I'm betting that alot of people tried this and so I never got a reply.

I seriously considered buying that beat up old 4005 thats been on ebay for £2300 for about 8 months... but that would be just be silly, it's knackered and way over priced.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-RICKENBACKER-4005-BASS-made-USA-/120642385470?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c16d8b63e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-RICKENBACKER-40...=item1c16d8b63e[/url][/quote]

That will be our German friend who is known here for his love of selling vintage scratchplates and parts for guitar prices.

Interesting and strange, this. I missed this thread when it was new so I missed the first post, but I presume the OP has a vintage Faker he wants to modify into a 4005 clone. Of the handful of 4005 Faker projects I've seen, a donor neck from a different copy has been the most common starting point.

So I don't know why it's been deleted (hopefully he'll post to explain) but I really don't think the threat of legal action from Uncle John's anything to do with it - unless it's sheer paranoia. This is the UK and last time I checked was not subject to US trademark laws, besides RIC is a business with better things to do than poke around personal projects on little UK bass forums. Read my post in the thread about this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=111252&view=findpost&p=1028126"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...t&p=1028126[/url]

I'm more concerned that he fears being lynched by a bunch of pitchfork-wielding JapCrappers! While I do think there are better & cheaper sources of parts than a near-pristine 35-year-old CMI 4001 (like a bolt-neck Hondo - the rest of which is rubbish - or any of the much cheaper modern copies), this sounded like an interesting and serious project, and it's a pity to see coverage of it shelved.

For the record, if I'm ever lucky enough to come across a cheap, beater 4001S copy, I want to build a 1950s 4000 clone:

Jon.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1029485' date='Nov 19 2010, 03:38 PM']That's rather nice, Jon, but the perspex fingerpull is a stylistic disaster.[/quote]
Must admit I quite like it, although I doubt I'd have one on my (theoretical) copy because they get in the way of my artless right-hand flailing.

J.

Going deeper into R.I.C. and Mr Hall, I have wondered why after making Tribute versions of his instruments, that Geddy Lee who was probably the most iconic association with Rickenbacker, never had his version done, oh hang on my mistake, he modified his with non Ric parts, a proper bridge and decent tuners, silly me. :)

[quote name='SS73' post='1030230' date='Nov 20 2010, 10:54 AM']Going deeper into R.I.C. and Mr Hall, I have wondered why after making Tribute versions of his instruments, that Geddy Lee who was probably the most iconic association with Rickenbacker, never had his version done, oh hang on my mistake, he modified his with non Ric parts, a proper bridge and decent tuners, silly me. :)[/quote]
:)

[quote name='SS73' post='1030230' date='Nov 20 2010, 10:54 AM']oh hang on my mistake, he modified his with non Ric parts, a proper bridge and decent tuners, silly me. :)[/quote]
There is that! Also it would require his endorsement & he's always said he never actually enjoyed playing Ricks, it was only ever about the sound. Not the best publicity for RIC.

J.

Did he specifically say [i]why[/i] he didn't enjoy playing them? Growing up listening to Motorhead, they always seemed like the Holy Grail of basses - something utterly untouchable, both in terms of sound and price (let's face it, my 13 year-old paper round salary was never going to cut it). I guess they still do seem so, as a hangover from my youth.

I read a lot about them being utterly unpredictable in terms of playing style. Of course, I still want one before I get too old to have fun.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1030343' date='Nov 20 2010, 12:43 PM']Did he specifically say [i]why[/i] he didn't enjoy playing them? Growing up listening to Motorhead, they always seemed like the Holy Grail of basses - something utterly untouchable, both in terms of sound and price (let's face it, my 13 year-old paper round salary was never going to cut it). I guess they still do seem so, as a hangover from my youth.

I read a lot about them being utterly unpredictable in terms of playing style. Of course, I still want one before I get too old to have fun.[/quote]

I think most fingerstyle players have a bit of a battle on their hands with Ricks. I know he doesn't rest his hand when he's playing but still...it's hard going. In fact if I keep my horrible Hondo 4003 copy I'm adding a thumb rest.

I think every step he's taken towards comfort and practicality though I(Jazz bass, straight into the PA, etc), he's lost tons of tone.

Edited by Soloshchenko

[quote name='silddx' post='1028173' date='Nov 18 2010, 04:51 PM']Weird. What happened?[/quote]
I'm guessing that the thread was pulled at the request of the luthier making it - after you pointed out this thread in the introductions forum! :)

Mr. Hall may indeed have better things to do than set the hounds on custom builders, but that won't necessarily stop them from getting jumpy! Bit of a shame really, as I'd have like to see how this panned out.