Why become a member? ×

i just blew up my behringer sansamp clone

ahpook

yup...accidentally plugged the wrong power supply nto it ans pffft...it's dead - big burnt track on the pcb.

i think i'm cursed when it comes to amp simulators...my sansamp was taken out by a malfunctioning electric mistress...

not sure i'm going to bother replacing it.

/sigh/

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='114913' date='Jan 6 2008, 07:45 PM']Just a quick ask but would any other manufacturers similar product had the same end result? I only ask as I've had a few Behringer products just die in a very short life span and for seemingly obvious things that wouldn't have killed other manufacturers stuff![/quote]

all i did was bung 12v into it rather than 9v...i guess it's just behringer build quality or somesuch

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='114917' date='Jan 6 2008, 07:52 PM']Any way you could just send it back and get a replacement?

Unlikely I know, but could be worth a try...[/quote]

possibly, if i hadn't just pulled it apart to see what was wrong and junked it.

bit hasty i know, but with the amount they cost, i hardly thought it was worth the bother, should i decide to get another one.

Edited by ahpook

3V difference won't burn a pcb track out - that takes amps. What's the current draw of the pedal @ 9v - and what's the rated amps of the 12v supply you plugged into it? If it draws amps well in excess of it's requirements it's most likely a direct short.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='115159' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:12 AM']3V difference won't burn a pcb track out - that takes amps. What's the current draw of the pedal @ 9v - and what's the rated amps of the 12v supply you plugged into it? If it draws amps well in excess of it's requirements it's most likely a direct short.

Hamster[/quote]

i suppose it's possible the track was a dud...and something finally gave in the end. the supply was rated 12v @500mA

[quote name='ahpook' post='115167' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:24 AM']i suppose it's possible the track was a dud...and something finally gave in the end. the supply was rated 12v @500mA[/quote]

You didn't put much power into it - really sounds like a dodgy track. Can you get a refund / replacement?

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='115171' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:31 AM']You didn't put much power into it - really sounds like a dodgy track. Can you get a refund / replacement?

Hamster[/quote]

as i mentioned, i binned it...

if i decide to go for another amp sim, i'll think i'll save up for a sansamp...and this time keep it clear of electric mistresses !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='ahpook' post='115167' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:24 AM']i suppose it's possible the track was a dud...and something finally gave in the end. the supply was rated 12v @500mA[/quote]

Assuming you're using a 'standard' unregulated supply then the actual voltage you get out of a '9V' PSU will generallly be a couple of volts or so above the '9V' anyway ( similarly with any voltage rating of course ).
The '9V' applies only at the rated current and will rise as the current drawn from the supply is reduced from the maximum rating.
I guess you had the polarity correct - but any half decent designed piece of kit should be protected against that.
As has been said sounds like a dud pedal just waiting to blow.

[quote name='rmorris' post='210049' date='May 31 2008, 11:34 AM']...
I guess you had the polarity correct - but any half decent designed piece of kit should be protected against that...[/quote]
That was my thought. If the 12 volt power supply was wired the opposite to the 9 volt supply, that might draw enough current to fry a track.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='210255' date='May 31 2008, 09:24 PM']That was my thought. If the 12 volt power supply was wired the opposite to the 9 volt supply, that might draw enough current to fry a track.[/quote]

it was the correct polarity

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='210255' date='May 31 2008, 09:24 PM']That was my thought. If the 12 volt power supply was wired the opposite to the 9 volt supply, that might draw enough current to fry a track.[/quote]

Apparently it was correct polarity.
I know what you mean though but no - any realistic polarity protection should work up to 100V or so minmum. It only has to be a simple diode at the minimum complexity. Having said that I had a diode fail in a mixer power supply once and the resultant noise was terrible to behold ( no - it wasn't a Behringer :-)

[quote name='ahpook' post='115174' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:42 AM']if i decide to go for another amp sim, i'll think i'll save up for a sansamp...and this time keep it clear of electric mistresses ![/quote]

Good move.... it's worth spending a little more on the good stuff. Welcome to the world of 'sh*tty Behringers'.... :)

If the power supply was rated for 500mA at 12V then, if it was unregulated, the 'no load' voltage would likely be higher than 12V, as someone has already said. Also, if you put a dead short on it then the voltage would drop below 12V, but the current would go well above the 500mA.

If the excess voltage caused one of the solid-state devices to go short, then the resulting current could easily cause a track to burn out. ie the track burning out is probably a symptom rather than the cause.

Even if the supply was regulated then 12v is still 33% above 9V! What would you expect your telly to do if you connected it to 320Vac?

Behringer stuff is cheap, so it's a bit unfair to expect it to be as tolerant as a Boss or something which costs a lot more, and we don't know how a boss would respond to a 33% overvoltage (dont try it!!).

Regards

Herr Behringer