Why become a member? ×

Relic jobs on Basses / Guitars

daz

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1009515' date='Nov 2 2010, 12:33 PM']I'm interested in why relic'ing is such an emotive subject, it does polarise and excite opinions.[/quote]
Good point.

FWIW, it seems to me that the emotiveness tends to be more on one side than the other. I've never seen anyone start a thread titled "Relics! Aren't they great!". But I've seen plenty that take the opposite tack, not that I'm particularly bothered :)

I suspect it boils down to our attitudes towards that desirable, intangible commodity 'authenticity'. In a confusing world of shifting values and expanding material choice, authenticity is a kind of 'truth' and a refuge sought by many. But authenticity is not absolute. It resides in the mind of the beholder and is entirely personal to the individual. Thus, we have shades of authenticity and a consequent opportunity for debate and - sometimes - unhappy disagreement.

Some people might like relics because the visual cues create an instant back story for the instrument and (perhaps) by association, the player. Nothing wrong with that and - as an image tool - far better than a pirate bandanna over a shiny dome. For others, a relic embodies a kind of authenticity, which makes them happy.

For some, relics are the reverse of authenticity, in that they are perceived to be a forgery - a calculated act of deception. A relic is an assault on authenticity. And perhaps a minority feel that the owner of a relic is passing themselves off as possessing 'musicianly' characteristics to which they are not entitled to lay claim. For myself, I do not subscribe to this view, but I think it's out there.

To my mind there are two issues here.

* "Why do people buy relics?"
* "Why do people get annoyed about relics?"

And the answer's the same for both. People value 'authenticity' very highly. But they perceive it in different ways.

Edited by skankdelvar

My 2008 US P bass which is my main bass is not wearing too well. I'm quite heavy-handed and take care of my basses, but am already getting significant wear along the top edge where my forearm rests and wear on the back of the body too. I thas a far few dings (mostly caused by the proximity of my Drummer's cymbals, cuff buttons etc)

I know Fender has given the new Series basses thinner coats of paint and poly and I know that black is possibly the worst colour to keep looking pristine but I am amazed how quickly the finish of the bass has deteriorated. The neck on the other hand is as perfect as the day it was made.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Not sure I'm annoyed by relics, each to their own/market forces/images etc, just not for me and I do not admire the guitar nor the owner.

Trouble is, as the making into a 'relic' gets better and more common it will become more difficult to tell them apart and, as in jeans, virtually becomes the default so someone who has actually owned and used a guitar over many years will be perceived to play a 'relic'.

If you look at pics of John Frusciante, once of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, you'll see his Strat getting progressively more knackered during his career. This is what is being mimicked but there's not many of in the world get to play as much as him.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1009646' date='Nov 2 2010, 02:47 PM']Not sure I'm annoyed by relics, each to their own/market forces/images etc, just not for me and I do not admire the guitar nor the owner.[/quote]

I don't think anyone should be judged solely (or at all) on the instrument they choose to play, as you have just done.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1009447' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:43 AM']See what he did there?

The thing about Rory Gallagher is that he always attributed the remarkable amount of wear on his guitars to the very 'acidic' nature of his sweat. He eventually died of a liver dysfunction. Any connection? :)[/quote]

Perhaps, I always like to think that the night that strat spent under a hedge probably helped a bit too.
FWIW, my guitars are pretty darned worn in after 20 years of gigging them, I also have very "acidic" sweat. Though interestingly, since I stopped drinking as much, my newer acquisitions aren't wearing out as quick... hmmm... :)

[quote name='Alfie' post='1009661' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:02 PM']I don't think anyone should be judged solely (or at all) on the instrument they choose to play, as you have just done.[/quote]
I think the look of the instrument you choose to play says a lot about you. Whether that's appropriate for the band you're in or not is down to the band image. I went to see a band the other week where both guitarists had very tasty looking matt black and chrome guitars. The bassist had a tatty-looking sunburst (as far as I could tell from the small amount of finish left) P-bass that could well have come out of a dumpster from behind the venue. He's choice of instrument made him look like he belonged in a different band. And before anyone says that it might be down to the tone - most of the real bass for this band was being supplied by sequenced synthesisers, bass guitar's contribution was merely the occasional muffled thud, something that could have been supplied equally well by a more visually in keeping instrument.

I think the problem I have with worn looking finishes isn't so much the look (I admit it's not for me but that's simply a matter of taste), but the fact that it's something to be proud of and shouldn't be interfered with. I look at the finish in the same way I regard the strings, frets and electronics: at some point it will become worn beyond what I consider acceptable and when that happens the instrument will be off to be resprayed.

I've got a 'Road Worn' series P-Bass and although I wasn't too fussed about the 'ageing' thing, it was a lot nicer to play than the brand-new sparkling 'Classic' version. It had a much more 'played-in' feel and it looks pretty cool as well. The other advantage is if it picks up the odd knock or two, it's not really an issue. In terms of actual Custom Shop Relics, it could be the difference between actually taking it out and using it and keeping it safely tucked up in it's case through fear of that first ding on a pricey instrument. Other than that, many people love the look of vintage guitars.

I guess my issue is that they're so damned expensive. For the price you could easily get a decent guitar (okay, maybe not a '62 Fender) that's got all those knocks and scratches and wear through actually being used. And - to be honest - I've only ever seen one that's actually looked "worn" as opposed to "distressed".

So, hats off to Fender's marketing dept and each to their own.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1010508' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:52 AM']I don't get it but it doesn't anger me either. The idea that a bass must be worn-in (whether for real or artificially) to make it comfy to play seems absurd to me - I'd rather play a bass that felt right in 'stock' form.[/quote]

I understand what you're saying, but in my case the Fender Classic 50's P-Bass looks fantastic, but there's too much lacquer on the neck for me. Personally I prefer a more 'satin' finish and thats what the Road Worn version gave me. Also the classic is finished in polyester which is notoriously tough and shiny but the road worn is nitrocellulose which feels much nicer and made the bass more resonant. It was these features rather than the actual 'aged' look that attracted me to it.

[quote name='Alfie' post='1009661' date='Nov 2 2010, 03:02 PM']I don't think anyone should be judged solely (or at all) on the instrument they choose to play, as you have just done.[/quote]

I wouldn't say judge purely on the instrument, but I haven't seen a great bass player with a pretend old bass yet.

Fair point though, I realise I also judge drivers of cars with lots of plastic body accessories and writing on them as pretending to be the real thing too. Not a good trait, I will try to amend.

I do like the look of worn guitars, but only if that's what they are. I've just bought an old cab (big one!) which has had something spilt down the front grille taking the paint off. I'd respray it, my lad though it looked cool. I'll probably leave it but I won't dribble brake fluid over my other cab to match though!

Cliffy from cheers is Fenders secret custom shop relicing weapon. Every time he hits it with his wee wotchamacallit it goes up in price by six thousand dollars. Keep an eye out when it gets to 4.55 [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTi8ISIxX8c&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTi8ISIxX8c...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1015308' date='Nov 7 2010, 02:40 PM']I do find it amusing that some of us poor people have to make do with knackered old basses, whereas some rich people are prepared to spend alot of money getting the same effect faked :)[/quote]

Yep.
I can remember a few years ago there was actually a company selling spray on mud so that yuppies in London could get a "country cred" look on their 4x4's without having to leave the city...

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1015963' date='Nov 8 2010, 06:32 AM']That's pretty funny, and a rather close analogy too :)[/quote]

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/jun/14/uknews"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/jun/14/uknews[/url] :lol:

I'm waiting for Spray-on Clean to hit the market... :)

Edited by icastle