Why become a member? ×

looking into entering the 5 string world!

0175westwood29

apart from the first bass i had! ive never felt the urge to play a fiver, but recently ive been watching alot of videos and hearing parts in my bands music where i could use the lower notes that a five string bass would give me.

but as i said ive only really played one 5 string which was made by axl, and was a bad musicman copy.

ive played for fun a spector six string which was nice but only played it for 5 mins so could really tell if i liked it.

theres obviously the big names like musicman, zon and warwick, but alot of these i cant try with out going along way so want to kinda have a bit of info on them before i travel etc.

im gonna try and save up about 2000? so basically looking for what you guys and girls would go for in the five string market with that amount to spend?

i play hard rock so looking for something that would suit that, and just encase your wandering in currently playing a modulus fb4, i have considered getting a fb5 but i would be unable to try it before shelling out the money so it might be a no go.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1007945' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:20 PM']im gonna try and save up about 2000? so basically looking for what you guys and girls would go for in the five string market with that amount to spend?[/quote]

DON'T DO IT!

For God's sake, don't buy a £2000 5-string just in case you end up liking 5-string basses. :)

There are loads of very competent 5-string basses out there for a quarter of that price. Buy one of them, play it for six months, [i][b]then [/b][/i]decide to spend £2000.

As to what to go for, I'm also a fan of the Lakland 35" scale basses. In your situation, I'd be looking for a tidy example of a 2nd-hand Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn.

But being me, I'd just go for the best value 5-string currently in the Basschat For Sale section. :)

Yes, I'd advise trying a mid range 5 string first. Just incase the 5 string thing doesn't really suit you, it means you're not too far out of pocket with a high end bass thats hard to shift! I traded a Kubicki Ex Factor for a Status Stealth 6 string and whilst it was a class bass, I really didn't need or get on with having 6 strings, so I ended up selling it. It just wasn't right for me.

If you're serious about spending that sort of money, do yourself a favour and get a ticket to the Bass Gallery in London. Try as many 5 strings as you can from the big name brands and find out what you like. Even if you don't buy anything then, it'll give you some good pointers for your search.

I had the same dilemna, and ended up with, IMO, the best of the bunch. 2010 Stingray 5 HS. Very comfortable, very powerful, and nice and light, (I requested a light instrument and they game me one :) ).

It came in brand new at WELL under £2000! If you shop around and you want a new one to your spec, they are between £1300 and £1450 ish.

I did try the Lakland JO5s and DJ5s and got annoyed by the lack of consistency with attention to detail. The B was pretty good, but the Ray is much more even between all the strings, (eg you get a nice articulate B and the other strings sound like they do on a 4 string!).

Edited by Musicman20

I agree with the other comments, £2000 is a lot to spend on an experiment. You can get some stunning basses second hand for a lot less. I picked up an Overwater 5 for £800 a while back, hand built stunning build quality and less than a new USA Fender. I cant remeber the scale length now but you can pick up a Sadowsky Metro for £1500 on here, and some of the new Dingwall fanned fret basses are well under 2k.

I would say look for a 35" scale (or fanned fret Dingwall) especially is you detune and if you do get a 5 string put the 4 string away somewhere or give it to a friend for a while so there is no temptation to play it. I tried 5 string twice, the first time I had one with a 4 string played it a few times but always went back to the safety of 4. In this instace the 5 string was sold and i didnt try again for another 5 years. Second time I bought a five, played only that bass for a 2 weeks solid and then sold my 4 because I didnt see the point in it when you can do the same and more with a 5. I have never looked back.

Mark at Bass Direct in Warwick has a huge range of basses in and will sit and talk you through every single one and discuss what you need in a bass.

Ive never understood why people cant just switch between the two? I constantly swap between 4s and 5s, and to be honest, I prefer it that way. I feel like I can try and master two instruments, as the 5 is totally different.

I agree a little with the 35" scale, but it definitely isnt necessary for a good quality 5 string....its just an option.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=108414"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=108414[/url]

THATS A NICE 5ER FOR HARD ROCK :)
i used to have one of this awsome and was my first 5er as well

never regred it but the spacing was too thight for me maybe for u is awsome give it a try :) and is cheap considering the 2000 you giving :lol:

is a nice 5er to start IMO

dont know the guy that selling it (so i am not lame) :D

A switch to 5 strings should be a good move but I would only buy used and cheap until you know you can handle it. The first bass I bought was a Musicman and I loved the 5th string from the start.

Don't get caught up in the 34/35 debate. For me 35" scale is the best but I think it helped that I went to a 34" bass first.

Take on one challenge at a time and stick with it. Going from a style that you can play without thinking to one which you can't is a wake up call to you technique. These days I find 5ers much more satisfying to play.

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='1008280' date='Nov 1 2010, 10:44 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=108414"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=108414[/url]

THATS A NICE 5ER FOR HARD ROCK :)
i used to have one of this awsome and was my first 5er as well

never regred it but the spacing was too thight for me maybe for u is awsome give it a try :) and is cheap considering the 2000 you giving :lol:

is a nice 5er to start IMO

dont know the guy that selling it (so i am not lame) :P[/quote]

Thanks for the ad :D

[quote name='woodster' post='1008448' date='Nov 1 2010, 12:57 PM']Thanks for the ad :)[/quote]

nice bass man!

i immediately thought of of an sr5! as they really do seem to do it all!

and yeh as some have said if i can grab something secondhand then i wont spend the whole lot that i save.

anyone got a fender p 5 string? and whats peoples view of the mm bongo?

andy

I recently had to make the move to a 5 string, as both bands I am in have songs on the set list that require a low A, but still require the G string. I'm playing hard rock/ metal.

I managed to pick up a second hand Alembic Orion from the for sale section of this site, and it's an awesome rock bass. Loads of growl on offer, and so easy to play. Made the switch to 5 string really easy. The build quality on Alembic's is sublime, and they are real bargains in terms of second hand values, and well within your budget.

Seem to remember there's an Alembic epic 5 string on here at the moment, that is well within your budget :)

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1008853' date='Nov 1 2010, 06:49 PM']nice bass man!

i immediately thought of of an sr5! as they really do seem to do it all!

and yeh as some have said if i can grab something secondhand then i wont spend the whole lot that i save.

anyone got a fender p 5 string? and whats peoples view of the mm bongo?

andy[/quote]

The Bongo, in my view, is a very powerful flexible instrument. Nothing sounds or looks like a Bongo, and you WILL be heard in the mix. The shape is definitely growing on me. The magnets in the Bongo are neodymium.

The latest 2008- Ray 5s are the alnico pups like a Ray 4, so they are much sweeter sounding, and 100% Stingray. The older Ray 5s and the Sterling 5 are ceramic magnets, and are full on aggressive bite (although they can be tamed).

I personally like both. I would also love to own a Bongo 5 HH.

Wholeheartedly agree with the comments above. Over the years the for sale section has been littered with "I ordered this custom 5 string but I now find that 5 strings are not for me" ads.

Is purple rawk enough?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=100880&hl=dean"]A known good 'un for £220[/url].

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1009319' date='Nov 2 2010, 09:28 AM']The Bongo, in my view, is a very powerful flexible instrument. Nothing sounds or looks like a Bongo, and you WILL be heard in the mix. The shape is definitely growing on me. The magnets in the Bongo are neodymium.

The latest 2008- Ray 5s are the alnico pups like a Ray 4, so they are much sweeter sounding, and 100% Stingray. The older Ray 5s and the Sterling 5 are ceramic magnets, and are full on aggressive bite (although they can be tamed).

I personally like both. I would also love to own a Bongo 5 HH.[/quote]

i like the sound of the bongo! my modulus is very loud in the mix to so its helped sort my sloppiness (a bit anyway!) so the idea of a HH bongo is a possible goer! and incase people are wandering i dnt mind the styling at all!

although i do like the sound of this growl thats in older rays!

whats the norm for string spacing on the sr5's? 17mm? as im used to 19mm with my mody.

andy

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1010266' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:37 AM']If I have one issue with the Bongo it's knowing that the body is basswood. Still, they are well finished in a variety of attractive finishes and they sound good so it's not a massive issue![/quote]

Surely any sonic disparities with basswood as a tonewood would be diminished by those active electronics in the Bongo though?

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1009792' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:08 PM']whats the norm for string spacing on the sr5's? 17mm? as im used to 19mm with my mody.

andy[/quote]

Norm?

Ah well now, that's one of those words, innit, "norm"?

Gotta be careful with a word like "norm" sort of thing, different whatsits to different people, know what I mean?

:)

I've had fivers from Fender, Shuker, Dingwall, Bass Collection, Alleva Coppolo, Alembic, even Lightwave Sabre, and I'd say there is no norm.

Just be aware that a fiver with 19mm spacing will feel like the flightdeck of an aircraft carrier at first, but 17mm arguably takes more getting used to and requires more changes (potentially) in your playing style.

One of the things I love about the A/C is that it's simply a P-bass with an extra string, no other changes at all. I can switch between the A/C and any 4-string P-bass with no mental change of gears.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='1009792' date='Nov 2 2010, 05:08 PM']whats the norm for string spacing on the sr5's? 17mm? as im used to 19mm with my mody.[/quote]

I think ALL EBMMs are 17.5 mm string spacing at the bridge. Put it this way, I had my heart set on a Lakland because the spacing was larger and it was 35" scale, then I played a Ray 5 and decided none of that mattered. I actually prefer a 34" scale...and the arguments for and against go on for a long time! Put it this way, SOME 35" scales are all about the low B and E, and then have an uneveness on the higher strings. They can also have a slightly 'flabby' feel to the strings. Thats not all though.

I figured the Ray 5 is probably one of the industry standard 5 strings for a reason...eg it works and sound great.

Learning on a fiver is much easier with fingerstyle than anything else if you ask me.

[quote name='risingson' post='1010273' date='Nov 3 2010, 02:11 AM']Surely any sonic disparities with basswood as a tonewood would be diminished by those active electronics in the Bongo though?[/quote]

100% yes. The sound of the Bongo is exactly what everyone likes about it.

I did it the "wrong" way!
I saved and bought an expensive, exotic 5 as my first five string bass. In retrospect, I knew SO little about the instrument it was untrue.

But it came out right!!

I [u]do[/u] have a good eye for quality engineering, fit and finish and workmanship in general. I went to the (Wapping) BassCentre and tried EVERYTHING, buying a bass that I'd never heard of before that was sitting in the corner getting dusty, simply because it felt good, sounded great and was superbly built.
13 years later, I still own that Vigier. It's still one of the finest instruments I've ever played (let alone owned!)

Give it the time buying a new bass deserves, especially if you've £2k to spend.
Visit a good bass dealer with plenty of stock, and try anything and everything. I still do it now.
You really do have to try before you buy IMHO. A good music shop will allow you the spaec and time you need tho decide if 1) A fiver is for you and 2) If so, which one!

Bongos are excellent, BTW!!