Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best Film Sound Track

iconic

Bladerunner- I dont care for the Jarre/Vangelis synthpop sound but Vangelis caught the mood of the film brilliantly, the 'Love Scene' remains one of my all time favourite pieces.
Platoon - Lots of good tracks but the standout is the use of Barbers Adaggio in the ambush scene, if the audio/visual combination doesnt move you then I question your right to refer to yourself as human :)

Some fo my favourites are already up here. Two that I don't think have had a mention -

(editted to actually put them in!)

1. Pretty in Pink for similar reasons to the OP

2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? The film that made me realise country/bluegrass can actuallt be really good

Edited by clauster

The Thing and Alien have wonderfully atmospheric soundtracks. The woodwind in Alien sends chills down my spine.

Schindler's list - one of very few films that has me welling up when I hear the score. Incredibley beautiful and profoundly sad piece of music.

Star Wars! Full of incredible music. The original films, of course.

[quote name='RockfordStone' post='1006926' date='Oct 31 2010, 02:40 AM']the lost boys soundtrack is pretty good, if you are 80's inlined of course................. i'll get my coat[/quote]

Leave your coat where it is. Cry little sister is a seriously great number.

For me, Midnight run and Christine.

Putting a bunch of pre-recorded various artists songs together in a movie has never quite seemed like a proper soundtrack to me although I grant it has worked in certain cases. Personally, for me, an original film score is where it's at.
I could reel off a number of favourites including a few already mentioned here (and in similar threads).
With that, I'd just say:
+1 to Blade Runner. Also Star Wars (and other John Williams stuff - Close Encounters, E.T., etc).
+1,000 to LOTR
+1,000,000 to Ennio Morricone. "Once Upon A Time In America" brilliant. Especially "Deborah's Theme".
One of my all-time favourites, though not a movie as such -- "Band of Brothers" (Michael Kamen).

[quote name='risingson' post='1009137' date='Nov 1 2010, 11:11 PM']Props to Irish composer Patrick Cassady for writing this beautiful piece of music originally used in 'Hannibal' and later used in 'Kingdom of Heaven'. Absolutely incredible[/quote]
Beautiful!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1005888' date='Oct 29 2010, 10:04 PM']The Lost Highway. Love that soundtrack.[/quote]

Love that film! :) I love David Lynch.....

As already mentioned, any of Ennio Morricone's spaghetti westerns, Howard Shore's LOTR trilogy, pretty much anything by Thomas Newman with a particular nod towards American Beauty.