Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Band Problems

charic

Morning Rant,

Just recieved an email from forming bands saying that a band has met my search criteria. Well it just so happens to be my band! (been joined for 2-3 weeks). I knew they were going to be looking for an additional rhythm guitarist.

I'm just annoyed because at the last practice I specifically said are you guys happy with the basslines as they stand and is there anything you want me to change. I only got positive feedback.

End Morning Rant...

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='988862' date='Oct 15 2010, 09:24 AM']Apply for it using a different email , or get someone else to do it and see what happens.[/quote]
sneaky, but that's what I'd do & if they're being two-faced give them the runaround.

Then find another band & forget all about them - they're not worth fretting about if they're being Rsoles

I've already text them still no reply. I have no desire to act like a git though as these guys have been brilliant otherwise. Honestly they're probably one of the best bands I've played with.

If they dont reply by midday I'm phoning them. The annoying thing is I've only had 2 practices with the full band...

Waking up to an email stating your band is looking for a bassist and the email is what woke you up is annoying tbh mate.

Just talked to the lead guitarist (who seems to be the band leader) and he knows nothing about it apparently..

Strange!

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='988862' date='Oct 15 2010, 09:24 AM']Apply for it using a different email , or get someone else to do it and see what happens.[/quote]

Definitely. And then when they reply to your email saying "Sorry mate, this is an old advert, we're happy with our current bass player" then you won't have made a tit of yourself.

S.P.

[quote name='charic' post='988939' date='Oct 15 2010, 10:24 AM']Just talked to the lead guitarist (who seems to be the band leader) and he knows nothing about it apparently..

Strange![/quote]

He might be wondering the same thing - why is our Bassist looking for another band... :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I wouldn't show any anger or frustration to the band but instead, jest about it. It may well be the website hasn't been updated.
Like Lowdown says, they might be wondering why you're looking for another band.

You could say to one of the band "I've got bad news, I've had an email to join a band that fit with my style. Good news is tho, it's this band!", then you can see what sort of response you get & if there's anything that would hint towards looking for another bassist.

Yeah hopefully I'll just be able to make a joke of it in the future.

Really its just subscriptions (free) that I have set up and havn't bothered to take down. I get offers every now and again but I refuse to leave one band FOR another. I will only leave one if I am particularly unhappy with it.

Just waiting for some kind of indication as to whats going on tbh.

[quote name='chris_b' post='988997' date='Oct 15 2010, 10:55 AM']Don't worry, it's just the internet! Last year I had a phone call about a job that I put my CV up for 6 years ago.[/quote]

Did you take it? :)

Honestly I'm starting to think I just had a case of the morning grumps.

[quote name='charic' post='988939' date='Oct 15 2010, 10:24 AM']Waking up to an email stating your band is looking for a bassist and the email is what woke you up is annoying tbh mate.[/quote]

i doubt it's anything to worry about...i've found it very beneficial not to get annoyed about things that happen via the internet.

it's not the real world, after all.

I think you could be working yourself up over nothing.

If the gtr says he knows nothing about it, then either you have caught them out or embarrassed them.
either way it is somewhat out in the open.

The sneaky thing to do is reply with another e-mail, but then if you have to resort to that
then is that the sort of band you want to be with?

I'd be straight about it, explain why you got the mail etc, and ask them out direct; talk to the plainest speaker and see what he says.

The other question is why would they continue looking..? and if they are, you need to know and not waste your time.

Before you go off on one..these sites might not be admined the best or be upto date and that applies to you and the band....!!
so this could be a delayed response from all concerned.

But with new dynamics in a band, it is important that they know how you feel and you know how they work.
Staright talking is the way...not punchy or firey, just straight and conivial.

I had a similar problem with "joinmyband" in the last band I was in. I happened to be browsing the site one weekend and noticed that my band had advertised for a bassist and vocalist. Confusion and panic set in, because I'd been getting good vibes off everyone that they liked what i was doing, so I phoned the lead guitarist (band leader) to find out what was going on.

Turned out that if I'd stopped to read the small print, the post was about 8 months old, from January 2010 and had only appeared as a new post because some anorak/muppet had gone trawling all the way back to the January 2010 posts and replied to it, asking if the band was still looking for a vocalist.

Moral of this tale is that I shouldn't have jumped to the wrong conclusion, but the lead guitarist in the band should have taken the time to go back onto the site and delete the post once he'd found his bassist (me) and vocalist!! :)

PS: the band has since folded, but not because of this incident.

Edited by Krysbass

Turns out the drummer didn't like my basslines and instead of discussing it with the band decided to advertise for a bassist...

Still going along tonight to discuss face to face (last practice I was experimenting and trying to write basslines aswell as being short of a guitarist) and hopefully re-install his faith in me.

Fingers X'd...

It has [u]NOT[/u] been a good day!