Why become a member? ×

E-Bay Dispute - URGENT Help Needed!!!!!!

bassatnight

Folks,

I sold a bass for some £600 on E-bay about three weeks ago and have the delivery confirmation from the courier along with E-mails from the buyer stating that he is enjoying playing the bass (all sent via E-Bay mail) this morning I have recieved a dispute from Pay-Pal that the buyer has not recieved the item and have subsequently deducted the £600 from my account.

I have mailed the guy via E-Bay and by E-mail, I am obviously very concerned as I can ill afford to loose £600.

Anyone got any advice, its seems Pay-Pal are uncontactable and thier assistance with disputes seems vague and unhelpful??????

A worried Steve!!!

[quote name='bassatnight' post='978100' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:13 AM']Folks,

I sold a bass for some £600 on E-bay about three weeks ago and have the delivery confirmation from the courier along with E-mails from the buyer stating that he is enjoying playing the bass (all sent via E-Bay mail) this morning I have recieved a dispute from Pay-Pal that the buyer has not recieved the item and have subsequently deducted the £600 from my account.

I have mailed the guy via E-Bay and by E-mail, I am obviously very concerned as I can ill afford to loose £600.

Anyone got any advice, its seems Pay-Pal are uncontactable and thier assistance with disputes seems vague and unhelpful??????

A worried Steve!!![/quote]

Try your absolute best to get in contact with PayPal. It may take some time but it'll be worth it.

Last time I had this issue, I got in touch with their claims dept., explained everything and they sorted it. If you have delivery confirmation and an email from the buyer stating that he has received the bass, they should accept that and end the dispute.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='978100' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:13 AM']Folks,

A worried Steve!!![/quote]
Not having much luck with ebay at the moment, are you!

Echo the above. All sounds like you will get your money back.

Appalling behaviour from PP though.

Cheers for the help guys, I have now found out that he admitting he has the bass but opened the dispute over the shipping cost!

I missed the courier picking it up from me and because it was my fault offered to refund the shipping costs (which I forgot to do until yesterday)
hopefully this will be the end of the matter but will keep you updated.

Steev.

[quote name='silddx' post='978125' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:26 AM']Not having much luck with ebay at the moment, are you!

Appalling behaviour from PP though.[/quote]

Your not wrong I must keep away from the bay, selling pricey basses seems racked with problems.

I may well pull my Stingray from sale, as the guy winning the auction keeps mailing me asking very strange questions liek what Amp is in the bass, have I ever refitted the strings (on a 5 year old bass) will I accept a cash on collection despite me stating that its bank transfer or cheque.... Arrgghh!!!

[quote name='silddx' post='978125' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:26 AM']Not having much luck with ebay at the moment, are you!

Appalling behaviour from PP though.[/quote]

Sold a mobile phone to somebody in Moldovia last winter, he had bid without telling me where he was, even though it stated on my advert that he should if he was outside the UK mainland, but I charged him a couple of quid extra for the postage, and I sent it cheapest way I could via Royal mail as agreed with him by ebay mail.

After a week he asked for the tracking Number, tbh I couldnt be bothered, so told him I didnt heve one. 2 weeks later he gets ebay to freeze my account, claiming he didnt recieve it. I sent ebay the reciept for the postage, and royaol mail confirmd that it had been delivered, so I sent them a copy of that as well. ebay accepted it, and restored the money to my paypal account. Dont worry, if you have the proof that he got it, they should back you up, it just takes a week or two.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='978136' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:32 AM']Your not wrong I must keep away from the bay, selling pricey basses seems racked with problems.

I may well pull my Stingray from sale, as the guy winning the auction keeps mailing me asking very strange questions liek what Amp is in the bass, have I ever refitted the strings (on a 5 year old bass) will I accept a cash on collection despite me stating that its bank transfer or cheque.... Arrgghh!!![/quote]
It shouldn't be racked with problems. Play by the rules and use your common sense and all is usually fine. I've sold plenty of fairly expensive things on the bay with no issues apart from a non-payer on a wah pedal. i offered it to the next highest bidder and he was delighted.

Have you set up your Stingray auction Ts & Cs properly? Block recent unpaid item strikes, people with less than 3 feedback or whatever? How long left until the auction finishes?

Anything suspicious, block the bidder. I can't understand why you are tolerating the bidder that's asking you stupid questions and wants to use a different payment method. Politely tell him CoC is not possible and remove his bids and block him if you don't like the answers you get.

Gents,

Happily the dispute has been closed, but I am now waiting for the guy to leave me negative feedback.

It was mainly my fault for not being in when the Courier arrived to pick it up, although I did have a pre 12pm slot and he turned up at 3pm!

I apologised to the buyer and offered to refund the £30 courier cost which I thought was the gentlemanly thing to do, I took a few days making the payment but did apologise.
Oh well lesson learnt.

It still seems harsh to open a dispute over me refunding the shipping costs as at the end of the day it was only a day later than we had agreed and the shipping cost him nothing.

Cheers,
steve.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='978183' date='Oct 5 2010, 12:02 PM']Gents,

Happily the dispute has been closed, but I am now waiting for the guy to leave me negative feedback.

It was mainly my fault for not being in when the Courier arrived to pick it up, although I did have a pre 12pm slot and he turned up at 3pm!

I apologised to the buyer and offered to refund the £30 courier cost which I thought was the gentlemanly thing to do, I took a few days making the payment but did apologise.
Oh well lesson learnt.

It still seems harsh to open a dispute over me refunding the shipping costs as at the end of the day it was only a day later than we had agreed and the shipping cost him nothing.

Cheers,
steve.[/quote]
Did he contact you before opening the dispute? That's the first thing ebay/paypal will ask. Communication is EVERYTHING. Only a complete c*** will not respond to good, timely comms and gentlemanly conduct.

[quote name='markstuk' post='978174' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:53 AM']I've queried something as a buyer (non-delivery of a service) and I had to go through quite a long winded process to get my money back. Maybe paypal rip the money back from the seller immediately but hang on to it whilst they make the unhappy buyer jump through hoops?[/quote]
Tis true but luckily they look after the money whilst it sits in Paypal's high interest account :)

Re OP, it does seem that had he contacted you first he could have saved a lot of silliness. Hopefully he'll leave your feedback alone. He does like the bass & a full postage refund is very generous

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='978148' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:36 AM']Sold a mobile phone to somebody in Moldovia last winter, he had bid without telling me where he was, even though it stated on my advert that he should if he was outside the UK mainland, but I charged him a couple of quid extra for the postage, and I sent it cheapest way I could via Royal mail as agreed with him by ebay mail.

After a week he asked for the tracking Number, tbh I couldnt be bothered, so told him I didnt heve one. 2 weeks later he gets ebay to freeze my account, claiming he didnt recieve it. I sent ebay the reciept for the postage, and royaol mail confirmd that it had been delivered, so I sent them a copy of that as well. ebay accepted it, and restored the money to my paypal account. Dont worry, if you have the proof that he got it, they should back you up, it just takes a week or two.[/quote]

Did eBay or PayPal do anything to their account, taking into consideration they clearly tried to bullshit you out of the cost of the phone? Bullsh*tt*rs/scammers should be charged double - f***em'.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='978359' date='Oct 5 2010, 02:06 PM']E-Bay, don't you love it! Despite me putting on an ad for my Stingray that I won't spip outside of the UK just had a bid from a Miguel in Spain!!!! I give up ;-)[/quote]
You clearly have not sent up your auction correctly. You need to specify in your postage services details where you ship to, ebay will not allow bids from any other areas. Have you used ebay much before for selling? It is wise to set up your auction carefully. It is looking more and more that you are creating these problems for yourself.

[quote name='bassatnight' post='978359' date='Oct 5 2010, 02:06 PM']E-Bay, don't you love it! Despite me putting on an ad for my Stingray that I won't spip outside of the UK just had a bid from a Miguel in Spain!!!! I give up ;-)[/quote]

Yeah like Silldx just said - you can specifiy what countries you will ship to and that way bids from Miguel or Pedro won't be accepted.

[quote name='ezbass' post='978606' date='Oct 5 2010, 05:33 PM']I've given up selling on Ebay, I'd rather use Basschat and make a donation and I have done. I'll buy from the bay but that's it.[/quote]
Try selling a Warwick on here and you'll be back using ebay in no time.

Really can't understand why people won't ship abroad. I cut out dangerous places like Russia and Africa, but I've shipped basses to Spain, Italy and Australia without any problems. It's no more problem to arrange a courier and places like Australia seem to have more money than us and a currency advantage. Basschat is ok to sell on, but there's a limited number of people buying and a lot selling.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='979336' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:06 PM']Really can't understand why people won't ship abroad. I cut out dangerous places like Russia and Africa, but I've shipped basses to Spain, Italy and Australia without any problems.[/quote]
Absolutely! The more people you have bidding on your auction, the more money you're going to get for your item. In my experience, including other countries in your auction can sometimes double the final selling price.

[quote name='stevie' post='979353' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:19 PM']Absolutely! The more people you have bidding on your auction, the more money you're going to get for your item. In my experience, including other countries in your auction can sometimes double the final selling price.[/quote]
Yes, I only generally cut out dodgy countries.

I've sold things recently to people all over the world with not a single problem. Albeit smaller items.

[quote name='silddx' post='978222' date='Oct 5 2010, 12:33 PM']Did he contact you before opening the dispute? That's the first thing ebay/paypal will ask. Communication is EVERYTHING. Only a complete c*** will not respond to good, timely comms and gentlemanly conduct.[/quote]

The 2 times I've had issues with sellers I tried my best to communicate as they suggest and left it the recommended time before submitting a claiam and then escalating it to a dispute. In both cases neither seller bothered to contact me at all. There are some right to55ers out there and those that jump straight into a dispute should be reigned in and held to account.