Why become a member? ×

Elements of good slap bass

unclespats

[quote name='urb' post='971048' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:25 PM']One misconception about slap is that it needs to be done aggresively, in the way Flea does it, but this is really the exception and not the rule - a light touch and small hand movements are the key to getting a full sound from each note and creating a flowing groove - plus if you study Marcus Millet or Victor Wooten's technique you'll see how they use economy of motion to play faster ideas. A low action and light-ish strings will really help you play with greater control.

Mike[/quote]
in answer to this one,

well, o.k. as intricate technique goes, but what's wrong with out and out aggression ?

i grew up listening to bands that slaughtered their instruments (drums/guitars/keyboards/whatever)

there is no right or wrong. (even japanese/black/white/pink-with-yellowspots/gurls/guys in dresses, etc..)

music is personal. keep it that way !!! (it's the only thing that separates us from the.....?)

slap to your hearts content. with fx, distortion, whatever. do not under any circumstances, restrict yourself.

[quote name='urb' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:30 PM' post='971054']
I disagree - learn the masters note for note and then use what you've learned to feed into your own style of playing - it's how they did it - ask any top pro and they list the players they listened to and copied - if it's good enogh for them it's good enough for you and I :)
[/quote

Mike, who are the masters? thee are so many in every different genre..

although im very into a certain genre of music, i always thought it was good to seek out as many different styles of fingerstyle, slap, etc as you can..

This way of thinking doesnt just stop at slap imvho....i used to spend hours listening to Anita Baker and playing the bass to the way she would sing..or learn passages from John Coltrane and incorporate them... even slapping them... :lol:

bass playing doesnt stop at electric bass

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='971103' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:09 PM'][quote name='urb' post='971054' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:30 PM']
I disagree - learn the masters note for note and then use what you've learned to feed into your own style of playing - it's how they did it - ask any top pro and they list the players they listened to and copied - if it's good enogh for them it's good enough for you and I :)[/quote]

Mike, who are the masters?

although im very into a certain genre of music, i always thought it was good to seek out as many different styles of fingerstyle, slap, etc as you can..

This way of thinking doesnt just stop at slap imvho....i used to spend hours listening to Anita Baker and playing the bass to the way she would sing..or learn passages from John Coltrane and incorporate them... even slapping them... :lol:
[/quote]

Well of course - I mean listen to all the masters - Coltrane, Parker, Jimi, Jaco, Joni - whatever floats your boat - don't slap, do slap, slap the f*** out of it, or do it with beauty and dynamics - make music!

Has anyone mentioned working closely with a metronome yet? I think it is very important especially if you are working with other rhythmic sources (such as drums) that may not be playing exactly the same as you. Play the parts slowly so EACH pluck / slap / ghost note falls exactly where it should do in context. As an example - how many of us have heard a drummer with a really 'sloppy' right foot, where the kicks are late or ill timed? It's just the same with slap bass I feel. So important to lock in with the beat so the groove you are aiming for is tight.

- I realise the sound isn't so good on this clip - but it's an example of how Bass and Drums are locking together. This is ma ole matey Pin and the guys from SikTh doing an instrumental version of one of their tracks for ACM. James' style and tone on Bass is inspiring for many!

Without hesitation I would recommend getting Stuart Clayton's 'Ultimate Slap Bass'.

I've been playing for over 20 years now having used a number of books over the years, but decided to work through this book whilst taking a break from bands during my daughter's first couple of years. This followed from a discussion of the book on this forum. I thought I was reasonably ok at slapping, but this book has really helped tighten my technique up and taught me some new tricks. It's very easy to follow, has a couple of good CD's and I wish it had been out when I first started playing.

I personally find that playing slap bass is something I tend to do at home, and it very rarely gets used in anger - the odd RHCP cover or funk number having been the exceptions.

Throwing in my full penny's worth, I also think that slap is a bit like doing ball juggling tricks in football - it may look quite impressive but it is much more important to be able to play sympathically with the 'rest of the team' so to speak.

[quote name='dood' post='971110' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:19 PM'] - I realise the sound isn't so good on this clip - but it's an example of how Bass and Drums are locking together. This is ma ole matey Pin and the guys from SikTh doing an instrumental version of one of their tracks for ACM. James' style and tone on Bass is inspiring for many![/quote]
tight as ! :)

[quote name='urb' post='971054' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:30 PM']I disagree - learn the masters note for note and then use what you've learned to feed into your own style of playing - it's how they did it - ask any top pro and they list the players they listened to and copied - if it's good enogh for them it's good enough for you and I :)[/quote]

back in the day when you were doing those Victor Wooten style lines on your Thumb, that was cool!

When I was 16-18 I studied Stuart Hamm's slap lines religiously and leared those, applying the skills I gained there to pretty much all of my slap playing. That was my foundation.

I wouldn't go for the metronome to be honest, I hate them! I've never met a drummer who played like a metronome, and in my humble but honest opinion, they're all the better for it. Listening is the key, it's all well and good being able to hammer the piss out of your instrument, but if it doesn't sound like music, it's a waste of time.

get some music that you like try playing over the top of it, I always liked Herbie Hancock's 'watermelon man' for working out new techniques, because it's about six years long and the chords never change, so you get loads of time to mess around.

Anyway, slap is a lot of fun, so enjoy it!

I think the thing with slap bass is just not to get hung up on it!

So many saddos will harp on about it being out of fashion, old hat, tacky etc etc whilst thumping 8th notes on the root.

It's another tool in the box and one that is there to be used. If a track requires a relentless 16th note slap line like some Level 42 stuff, go for it. If it requires a shifting groove with double thumb pops and clicks, do that. Collectively, bassists have to become comfortable to be in the limelight again. It was common place in the 80's but we became marginalised in the early 90's.

If there is one thing that must go with good slap, it is practice. Do anything poorly and it will sound awful.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='970931' date='Sep 28 2010, 05:46 PM']Im sure everyone in the history of bass playing has borrowed/learned from someone else..the real pioneers were the old double bass players and Larry etc, who learned from them...

there is a way of EQ,ing, playing slap without overtaking a song and playing slap all the way through...depending on the song of course...
i will usually back the tone way off on the jazz..

check out this track that Randy "Hope" Taylor plays on...to me this is very musical..he uses fingerstyle, double stop slides at the start, but the slap is so in touch with the music..... fairly simple, gives the bass line an aggressive bass line with just slap, pop and great rythm...

masterful playing for me this..

would like to know your thoughts on this..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytQLBqIHak"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytQLBqIHak[/url][/quote]

get back to you on this... can't do youtube at work...bug..!!

But yes, basically, my take on this would be....

Flea and MK riffola, as I call it...OLD HAT..!! :)
How I managed to mention those two in the same sentence without a flame war, I don't know..:lol:
Songs that are driven..as opposed to a subtle underpin,by a slap line get buried on albums as fillers, these days.
Basically take the bass solo element out of the song, would be my approach.

You'll often find a lot of players will play a line live fingerstyle whereas on the recorded track they had a slap part..if it just works better in context.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='970931' date='Sep 28 2010, 05:46 PM']Im sure everyone in the history of bass playing has borrowed/learned from someone else..the real pioneers were the old double bass players and Larry etc, who learned from them...

there is a way of EQ,ing, playing slap without overtaking a song and playing slap all the way through...depending on the song of course...

check out this track that Randy "Hope" Taylor plays on...to me this is very musical..he uses fingerstyle, double stop slides at the start, but the slap is so in touch with the music..... fairly simple, gives the bass line an aggressive bass line with just slap, pop and great rythm...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytQLBqIHak"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytQLBqIHak[/url][/quote]

This is a perfect example of a compressed slap bass tone IMO.

Its also a great example of a really really well set up compressor, although I think he may have tracked the fingerstyle seperately from the slap, its possible that he has a consistently lighter touch when playing fingerstyle, and the threshold on the comp is set such that it is only really grabbing the slap stuff. Or they automated the compression in a DAW. Whatever, it sounds fantastic....

[quote name='unclespats' post='970880' date='Sep 28 2010, 05:00 PM']One thing I do want to do is to enhance my solo-ing ability - to maybe develop a party piece or two, just for fun.[/quote]

Just to pick up on this quote for a minute...If you want to improve your soloing ability you are going to be better off studying music rather than technique. Having a solid knowledge of things like arpeggios and transcribing the 'greats' will make a bigger difference to your soloing than churning out slap licks. I love slap bass,but listen to the best players and they all have something to say in the instrument. Remember,slapping is just another way of making the note sound.It is not a style unto itself.

If you want to sound like a typewriter, stop reading here!

The guys who started slap were using exactly what you have, so you don’t need to buy anything, but if you want to make slap sound good play as few notes as you can. Anyone can play lots of notes, triple thumbing is just mechanical playing and not really clever at all. Play slap slowly then you'll have to think about what your playing. Make every note count not be lost in a blur!!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='970931' date='Sep 28 2010, 05:46 PM']....

LIke it. I would have it live and more expansive, wouldn't see the need for a compressor.
But the composition of the bass is a very good mix and it did kind of take over the song for me...but in a good way.