Why become a member? ×

What amp/cab combination would you recommend?

cocco

Guys I'm so confused. I really don't know what I want or what to do about my amp woes. I shall do my best to explain my situation.

I've always loved Ampeg tone, so on my 18th birthday when I was presented with an SVT-CL I couldn't have been happier. The classic was brilliant for the first 4 years then it became unreliable so I fixed it then jacked it in for an SVT-4 pro which is better for my sound and I prefer to my classic. The only problem is the classic Ampeg reliability issue. In the year I've had it it's worked for a combined 8 weeks (roughly). I can't have that. I need to be able to use my a rig all the time which I can't at the moment. I'm currently using a peavey nitrobass which is plenty loud and perfect for a backup but it's definatly missing something.

So my dilemma is what should I be playing? I'm happy with my Ampeg 8x10 but not completely adverse to getting rid for something that will work better with a new head, but what to go for?

Ashdown is out. I just can't hear them for some reason. I've never disliked the old trace gear but sourcing a good AH500 and cabs could take a while. (its an option im looking into though) Orange's are too muddy for my liking.
The one gig I played with a Marshall VBA was the least comfortable I've ever been on stage. Maybe some nice light weight neo gear? I honestly don't know what to look for. I'd appreciate some sound advice please?

I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions for very expensive gear, but if your budget is important and you don't need many features, and likem a clean but powerful sound - you can't go far wrong with the Hartle LH series (500 or 1000).

Cabs wise, there seems to be a lot more choice in some ways, and it could be argued that these will have a greater effect on your overall sound... My own experience is limited in this field, but I'm sure others will be along soon to inform you better!

Good suggestions above

LH500 (or 1000) or MBII or III with a sansamp VT pedal will get you very close indeed.

As for cabs, you would do a lot worse than a Barefaced Vintage, or Compact, they move plenty of air and play nice with grindy rock tones....

Edited by 51m0n

If I were in your boat I would be seriously considering a setup comprising of a Gallien-Krueger RB1001 or 2001 amp on either a Barefaced Compact/Midget T stack or a Barefaced Big One...

There's loads of power & frequency response from those cabs and the G-K amps are known for their growl & sizzle.

Like I say just my 2p,
Good luck!

[quote name='Conan' post='962273' date='Sep 20 2010, 03:18 PM']I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions for very expensive gear, but if your budget is important and you don't need many features, and likem a clean but powerful sound - you can't go far wrong with the Hartle LH series (500 or 1000).

Cabs wise, there seems to be a lot more choice in some ways, and it could be argued that these will have a greater effect on your overall sound... My own experience is limited in this field, but I'm sure others will be along soon to inform you better![/quote]

I shall look into these. I think i would put my cab down (well the 8x10 config) as a major contributing factor to my sound :).

[quote name='cocco' post='962292' date='Sep 20 2010, 03:33 PM']Forgot to mention I use a sans amp bddi. Markbass stuff interests me. The problem is there's no where to test/play this stuff in my area. That I know of anyways.[/quote]

I use a MarkBass SA450 plugged into 2 x Barefaced Compacts with my Precision/Jazz/Stingray/whatever and I gig with all the EQ settings at 'Midday' and the sound is all there!
If I need to EQ I do but it's rare. It's just a great sounding amp...

[quote name='cocco' post='962268' date='Sep 20 2010, 03:14 PM']The only problem is the classic Ampeg reliability issue.[/quote]
Perhaps I have been hiding under a rock or something but I've never heard of this. My Ampeg stuff is all 15yrs old and never let me down (I hasten to add that it's all secondhand). Sounds like you've just been really unlucky. Have Ampeg really got a reputation for this?

It could just be me I suppose. My major beef is with how expensive they are to fix when they do go wrong and that no one wants to work on them when they do. It might be a modern Ampeg thing although my 4 pro is 10 years old. I know the new Korean ones aren't getting too much love. My classic was US too, that had to have all new ceramic valve holders because the heat melted the plastic ones it came with.

So why was the Marshall VBA so bad? Am interested cos tho I`ve only ever used one at a practice, I really liked it (as I do with most Marshall gear).

Bonus is as well, with Marshall only being a 30min drive, any problems, they can fix it nice and easily, and are apparently very reasonable on prices for this (say apparently, never had to have anything fixed by them to date, just from what mates have told me when they`ve had their gear sorted).

Certainly easier than finding able/reputable people to work on other well known makes from overseas :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='963060' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:20 AM']I'd like to know what you do to Ampeg amps! My SVT3PRO never missed a beat in 10 years. What about a Mesa Boogie through your 810?[/quote]

So would I. I have thought about Mesa. Do you have any experience of them?

I would probably have a Boogie over an Ampeg from a sound POV... but then that applies to the whole package as they have better cabs, IME.

To replace an Ampeg beast though, I'd look at hybrids with valve pres so you could push the gain somewhat...but that may not be the sound you want.
I don't understand why you have been so unlucky with Ampegs...but I might be inclined to give them one more try if it is Ampeg you really want.

[quote name='cetera' post='971741' date='Sep 29 2010, 02:18 PM']If you like the Ampeg tone then why not pick up a used SVP-Cl or SVP-Pro preamp and a power amp?

Alternatively, try a Sansamp RPM or RBI with a power amp.

Or try a Genz Benz...![/quote]

+1 for Genz Benz, I run a Shuttle 6.0 (4lbs) into a Barefaced Compact (26lbs), 375W @ 8ohms and it's killer, my drummer said it looks like a "stupid Fisher Price rig" until I brought it to a gig. Needless to say he ran out of insults, and possibly soiled himself when I turned the volume above halfway. Result! Stupidly light and ridiculously loud, and a great sound. If you're after a larger cab, Barefaced do a 2x15 version, the Vintage. I can only imagine how loud that could get :)