Why become a member? ×

Schaller strap locks

arthurhenry

Something you may not have thought of if you use Schaller strap locks: With the locks attached to the strap as per the instructions, you will then have the full weight of your bass on a rim of metal which then rubs against the metal strap pin on the bass. Eventually it WILL wear through the strap pin, which will snap in half. Fortunately for me, it happened at home and not during a gig.
The solution is simple: don't attach the locks to the strap. Put the strap on the bass as normal, then clip on the strap locks. They won't rattle around as you may think. I keep mine in an old camera film pot (remember them?) which goes in my case.

I've been using Schaller Straplocks on various instruments since the mid 80s and I've never come across this problem. In fact I just looked at the oldest bass I have that's in regular use which I've owned since the early 90s when I bought it with the Straplocks already fitted and which was my main bass for almost 10 years during which time it's spent at least 1 hour every day support by the Straplocks and there is not sign of the wear that you describe. In fact the only obvious wear I can find on any of the Straplock buttons on any of my guitars or basses is on one fitted with black buttons where the black finish has worn off around the rim but it's no more than just the finish.

Are you sure that yours were genuine Schallers? I've seen some dodgy looking alternatives on eBay over the last couple of years.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='961409' date='Sep 19 2010, 06:47 PM']I've been using Schaller Straplocks on various instruments since the mid 80s and I've never come across this problem. In fact I just looked at the oldest bass I have that's in regular use which I've owned since the early 90s when I bought it with the Straplocks already fitted and which was my main bass for almost 10 years during which time it's spent at least 1 hour every day support by the Straplocks and there is not sign of the wear that you describe. In fact the only obvious wear I can find on any of the Straplock buttons on any of my guitars or basses is on one fitted with black buttons where the black finish has worn off around the rim but it's no more than just the finish.

Are you sure that yours were genuine Schallers? I've seen some dodgy looking alternatives on eBay over the last couple of years.[/quote]

Yes, they were genuine schallers, only snapped off on one bass, but all other basses with them fitted showed serious wear. Maybe I was just unlucky, still the principle's worth thinking about.

[quote name='Colledge' post='961359' date='Sep 19 2010, 05:49 PM']i prefer the red rubber rings off a grolsch bottle.[/quote]

Plus one.

Normally I would suggest locks, but I really DONT like playing with them on. Just feels odd and clunky.

Having it locked in some sense is very necessary, so the orange rubber rings work a treat and come off with a bit of force. I used a cheap old bass and held it over my bed with the rubber rings on, and gave it a damn good bit of shaking, and the rubber rings worked a treat. From then on, Im happy with them and make sure I put them on when im gigging.

Ive never had Schaller break, nor have i read any other post like the one here.

I'm not saying cant happen (as it obviously has) but its certainly not wide spread. Ive got a set thats probably 15 years old. Still going strong.

I put some nail varnish (no, not mine) on the nut and that stops it from coming loose. I've not had a problem at the guitar end other than on one bass and that just needed a bit of drum stick splinter in it to secure it.

I had some Dunlops but hated them. They worked fine but i had a nightmare with the screws, the heads seem very small and easily damaged, so went back to Schallers.

Edited by dave_bass5