Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Toddy' post='473636' date='Apr 27 2009, 07:48 PM']Just for a laff,,,,,,some of the old gear... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ok, why should I laugh?

THE BEST combo bass amp ever (SWR Redhead, owned two, wished I still owned one now :) ), a couple of Hartke Cabs which I've heard it said make a rightous noise, a once state of the art Sabian tuner, a very honest Warwick profet amp, a bit of Marshall (well we all have to have our spinal tap moment some time) and something that looks like its come from the science museum and was part of the original Collosus valve computer thing. Ok, I'm laughing at the collosus bit :D

Nowt wrang with that collection imho

ah!!!!!!!! that tatty looking beast,,, in a temp housing..

is an all tube 500 watt monster prototype made by the man himself John Chambers of the Vintage Tube Hospital in Nottingham,,,, loved the SWR till someone tried to wind the knobs off it at a jamming session and it never sounded the same again,,, will post pics of the new rig,,, now im getting the hang of the forum.

:)

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='449676' date='Mar 30 2009, 05:24 PM']Here's my new TC Electronics Rebel 450 and 2x10 and 2x12 cabs

First time out on Saturday and very pleased with it I was too. Oodles of power and great tone. The cabs are surprisingly light for their power and the amp is very light as well.

Took the '61 P Bass and the Alembic out for run too. Lovely stuff.

[attachment=23041:John__s_bass_rig.jpg]

Enjoy! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Another 2x10, 2x12 man!

It's the way to go :)

I get to play with a different rig every gig as all our gigs are abroad and all the backline is always hired.

Sometimes I get what I ask for and sometimes I don't.

On Sunday I was told I'd be getting a Trace Elliot 1215V - what actually turned up was a Trace Elliot 2x10 combo which didn't work so in the end they gave me this:

Ampeg312 head with 8x10cab - the yellow thing on top is a heavy weight to dampen the rack case which was buzzing a bit:

Edited by Twigman

Is that 'yellow thing' not a power box or whatever you wanna call em?!

For plugging American amp's into a British socket?

I have one fore my Sears Silvertone....
Sorry it's not the best of pic... 2 channel with Volume, Bass, Treble on each. Is in fact the BEST tone i have ever had, 100w all valve head, But it only goes into 8 ohm. Well, so i was told, wouldn't like to try it!!!

So i use it as a guitar amp where it sounds the dogs back legs! (going into a Marshall 1x12 in this pic)

[quote name='DanFold' post='474099' date='Apr 28 2009, 12:04 PM']Is that 'yellow thing' not a power box or whatever you wanna call em?![/quote]

Yes it was - but unconnected and the heaviest thing we could find to dampen the vibes...

Here’s my new setup:

It’s a Hughes & Kettner Quantum QC-421, and it sounds amazing. If I didn’t know any better then I’d say it was a full valve amp. It’s clear and transparent and has a majorly impressive low end for such a compact combo. The richness of the harmonic layers produced by the “Tube Growl” are absolutely fantastic. Cranking up the Tube Growl isn’t like overdriving a tube pre amp - what the Tube Growl does is very cleverly add tube characteristics to the overall sound such as adding layers of harmonics to the fundamental frequency of the note that your bass is playing, as well as a subtle bit of natural tube compression. The effect is very striking and brings the sound of the whole amp alive.

I was anxious about how heavy it is but it’s been well designed with relatively light ply wood and neo speakers, and the result is a very manageable 29kg, and it’s even more manageable due to the large solid handles that are recessed into the sides of the amp.

Overall I’m really please with this combo and I think it’s the perfect step down from what I was using before (Epifani/Genz Benz).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474897' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:22 AM']Great combo. Was very well reviewed ages back but then forgotten about. They use the tube to drive the power amp rather than buffer the input, like some of the Mesa designs. Try turning it on its side to help your bandmates hear it properly on smaller stages.

Alex[/quote]

Cheers for the tip. I’m not actually currently involved with anything that is likely to ever make it to a live environment though :) Soon I hope to be doing more live stuff again so I’ll give it a go – it looks like it’s going to be very stable upright on its side, and it’s also got the wedge shaped back as well so it’d be great to monitor my sound.

The way they’ve used the tube is great – I can’t understand why more manufacturers don’t do something similar if it yields results like this. The 2 speaker outputs are also quite interesting; the “A” serial output and then the “B” output that switches off the internal speakers so you can use it as a standalone head. Do you know why they’ve made the “A” output a serial output rather than a more standard parallel? I can’t see that it makes much sense to reduce the potential output by adding the resistance of another cab in series. Am I being a bit short sighted?

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='474916' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:36 AM']It must be really hard to use the pedals up there. Do you have a small ladder that you stand on?

S.P.[/quote]

:) yeah there’s a small stepladder just to the left of my bass that can’t be seen in the pic…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='474929' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:46 AM']The way they’ve used the tube is great – I can’t understand why more manufacturers don’t do something similar if it yields results like this. The 2 speaker outputs are also quite interesting; the “A” serial output and then the “B” output that switches off the internal speakers so you can use it as a standalone head. Do you know why they’ve made the “A” output a serial output rather than a more standard parallel? I can’t see that it makes much sense to reduce the potential output by adding the resistance of another cab in series. Am I being a bit short sighted?[/quote]

I suspect using a tube to drive the power amp is more complicated than using it to buffer the input - higher voltages involved etc. Presumably the internal speakers are 4 ohms which is the amp's minimum load so you get full power with them - if you connected an extension cab in parallel the amp wouldn't like it. If it's generally loud enough on its own then this approach makes sense but if you're likely to regularly use an extension it's not so good. Horses for courses.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='474935' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:52 AM']I suspect using a tube to drive the power amp is more complicated than using it to buffer the input - higher voltages involved etc. Presumably the internal speakers are 4 ohms which is the amp's minimum load so you get full power with them - if you connected an extension cab in parallel the amp wouldn't like it. If it's generally loud enough on its own then this approach makes sense but if you're likely to regularly use an extension it's not so good. Horses for courses.

Alex[/quote]

Interesting stuff. The internal speakers are 4ohm (says the manual – it even came with the manual!). I doubt I’m likely to ever regularly use it with an extension speaker, but it’s interesting to know this kind of stuff.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='473902' date='Apr 28 2009, 01:42 AM']Another 2x10, 2x12 man!

It's the way to go :)[/quote]

Oh yes, hits all the right spots for me. Really cuts through two guitarist and drums in my band - you gotta make yourself heard (and felt)...

[attachment=24729:Image182.jpg]

My new rig - Kalim sold me the Little Mark II earlier this week, and when the Aguilar GS 112 arrived on Friday afternoon I was like a kid at Christmas. A massive upgrade (well, in terms of quality rather than size) from my 1x15 Peavey combo that had been my workhorse for however many years. I'm in love!

Well i am not much of an amp fan, but here they are!

From left to right, Marshall Mode Four guitar amp, Marshall JCM 900 4x12A cab. Ashdown Little Giant 1000 bass head, Eminence Delta 15" 400W 8ohm loaded cab. Peavey Black Widow 15" 300W 8ohm cab. Roland DB-900 7 Speaker Combo.

And the guitars/basses.

Jackson Warrior WRMG with EMG's, Jackson RR5 with Seymour Duncans, Pedulla Pentabuzz 5 string fretless, Epiphone SG 3 pickup custom model.

Yes i know its dissapointing, i only have one bass :) I am a bass player more then i am guitar player, trust me!