Why become a member? ×

Who actually plays vintage Fenders?

stingrayPete1977

I Have a 66 J. If it had a B string I would not play or own any other bass guitars. As it is, I hardly ever play it but cannot bring myself to move it on. I am respecting Beedster's attitude to moving his 64P. I am a sentimental old fool.

My 63 P gets out a bit, although this has been usurped by my 3 band Ray34 for playing in my 7 piece of late. However, as we are reducung to 5 shortly, and the remaining guitarist loves the 63, I suspect it'll be getting out a bit more soon.

Just to add a bit of spice to the thread here's a pic of mine for those who have missed it in other threads, feel free to follow suit peeps

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='945531' date='Sep 4 2010, 05:40 PM']Just to add a bit of spice to the thread here's a pic of mine for those who have missed it in other threads, feel free to follow suit peeps[/quote]
Nice bass & good idea. Here's my all original 1978 Fender Precision for those who haven't seen it

and my 70s parts bass enjoying a well earned break after a heavy gigging schedule

Posted a few times before - 1963 Precision - goes out to play most weekends. Why leave it home? It's not like it's going to get a slight ding which would affect it's value.

I rather like the fact that most 'collector' types lose interest when noticing the extra pickup - It's not for sale anyway.

[attachment=58134:Mouth_of_the_Tyne.jpg]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='945686' date='Sep 4 2010, 08:50 PM']You have crossed the line now.All pre eye gouger G&L's are banned from basschat until I own one! :) Too much GAS for them.[/quote]
I won't do it again boss. :rolleyes: Lovely though innit.
Not many people can say that their bass has been touched by Leo. Mine was one of the first G&L's so there's a distinct possibility (that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:).

I use two of the 4 78 Precisions I have all the time
1 of the others I only take out of its case for recording and its 99% mint
The other is waiting for me in New Zealand-at least I hope it is (my mate's in Christchurch!)

Still, I'm not really fussed about using them live (except the sienna burst one-as I said, I like to keep that in reserve for recording).

The reasons I dont mind taking them out and using them as the workhorses they were meant to be, are:
A) I got them for how they sound and how well they play (if I'm honest-looks were a factor too)
B ) Even if they pick up a bit of mojo along the way, they will still be valuable in a few years time- collectors are always about!

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='ezbass' post='945531' date='Sep 4 2010, 05:40 PM']My 63 P gets out a bit, although this has been usurped by my 3 band Ray34 for playing in my 7 piece of late. However, as we are reducung to 5 shortly, and the remaining guitarist loves the 63, I suspect it'll be getting out a bit more soon.

Just to add a bit of spice to the thread here's a pic of mine for those who have missed it in other threads, feel free to follow suit peeps
[/quote]
I don't like Precisions.
I Don't like tortie scratchplates.
I'm not a fan of rosewood boards.

But that is the most beautiful bass i have ever seen.

[quote name='molan' post='945709' date='Sep 4 2010, 09:15 PM']I don't think of my '78 Jazz as being particularly 'vintage', it's just a bass that I sometimes play.

I don't gig it simply because I have other basses I prefer to play live.

Does that count?

[/quote]
Very nice! and complete with badass but thats a whole other thread :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='945597' date='Sep 4 2010, 06:50 PM']Posted a few times before - 1963 Precision - goes out to play most weekends. Why leave it home? It's not like it's going to get a slight ding which would affect it's value.

I rather like the fact that most 'collector' types lose interest when noticing the extra pickup - It's not for sale anyway.

[attachment=58134:Mouth_of_the_Tyne.jpg][/quote]

You really need to get pics of that bass up on here H.

I use my 62 P-Bass and 64 Jazz bass all the time. Both are refins so don't need to be kept in showroom condition - I just don't put them on planes. The P-Bass I got at Vintage & Rare in Denmark St and has add some sort of re-lacquer at some point in its life. The 64 Jazz I bought on here from slobluesine and has had a nice relic refinish done on it.

Andrew

[attachment=58173:IMG_4519.jpg]

[quote name='Matty' post='945735' date='Sep 4 2010, 10:20 PM']I don't like Precisions.
I Don't like tortie scratchplates.
I'm not a fan of rosewood boards.

But that is the most beautiful bass i have ever seen.[/quote]

Ta very much, the bad news is that it plays lovely and sounds great.

As I love this bass soooo much I can't help but show another couple of pics with full on relic mojo, enjoy.

More pics from everyone please.

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='946394' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:27 PM']Both are refins so don't need to be kept in showroom condition[/quote]
Having stripped 2 late 70s Fenders I agree it's nice to have good players that I don't have to worry about. They get the job done. My immaculate 1978 seems to be kept back more for studio work. Nice basses btw