Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2010

Gary

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='985287' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:20 AM']What? Working at the docks?[/quote]
Essentially yes, playing for the dignitaries at the naming ceremony which was conducted by HRH QE, 'twas the biggest jobsworth fest I've ever encountered.
But we did have the pleasure of staying onboard the night before
[attachment=61126:IMG_0249.JPG]

Still sorry to have missed yet another bassday tho :)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='984808' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:55 PM']I'd hardly call Nigel a Bass God :)[/quote]

I was talkin' about me! teee heee!

[quote name='tinyviking' post='984870' date='Oct 11 2010, 08:38 PM']Dood - Your such a shmoozer! did you give Billy one of your cards too??[/quote]

Ha ha ha!!! Good to meet you ma man! - Nah, but Billy kept on trying to give me his. I said, "Billy! cut it out! - I have the last 30 you mailed to me and my post office still has the jumper you knitted and..."

[quote name='tinyviking' post='984690' date='Oct 11 2010, 06:25 PM']I for one enjoyed my first ever BassDay UK.
It was a pleasure to make the aquaintance of "Dood" and "Born to be Mild".
It seems there were many others who were there but of course no one knows who anyone else is.
I second the suggested meet up in the bar for next time!

I enjoyed the clinics and the Fender Bass Manual workshop.
It's just interesting to hear all of the stories and experiences of so many great players.
I have to admit the cacophony of players slapping themselves silly did get a bit much at times but what an array of fine instruments there were.
I hope this gets bigger every year,

I was disappointed that no big Hartke stand was there - especially as three endorsees were playing that day. Never mind eh?
I got a few photos but posting them here seems to be a bit of a problem
Try this [url="http://cid-f0ec7d84fcb82ba6.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/BassDay2010-10-10?sa=956042930"]link [/url] to view them.[/quote]
From the Mo Foster photos, you were sat directly in front of me a couple of rows further down. I found that particular clinic very interesting. It was nice to have a few different Fenders there and have them demonstrated so that you can clearly hear the differences in tones. Mo came across as a very nice guy (liked his Philips screwdriver joke too!). A mate of mine went back in later on and had a chat with him. Mo even let him play his "Lynott inspired" Precision too.

[quote name='dood' post='985446' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:21 AM']I was talkin' about me! teee heee!

Ha ha ha!!! Good to meet you ma man! - Nah, but Billy kept on trying to give me his. I said, "Billy! cut it out! - I have the last 30 you mailed to me and my post office still has the jumper you knitted and..."[/quote]
Dood, didn't meet you....spotted you (not hard though :) )

Got to say that 7 string bass of yours looks even better in the flesh. Luuuuurverly.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

[quote name='goblin' post='984727' date='Oct 11 2010, 07:04 PM']:) Everyone's out there :)

I bet that 7 year old was me :lol: I was the guy who was going round with him quite a bit as well...he's my teacher and more importantly a mate. I'm not taking any offence though, it wasn't my playing :D[/quote]

No he was really like 7 years old! There is nothing wrong with his playing,He could slap me out of the room all day long but like everyone has noticed he does this routine at every bass day and looks around to see who is watching him which looks a little desperate from a distance. And like others have said why not try an actual bass line when trying out a bass? I certainly did on that Classic stingray,Nice it was too! :)

i wondered how many of the guys slapping like crazy actually use that stuff in their bands. If they have a band?
Still, on the whole, bassday uk is a fantastic event, and it's important that next year bass chat has a stand, everyone i've dealt with and met through here has been a pleasure.
So, the gauntlet is down!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='986021' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:19 PM']No he was really like 7 years old! There is nothing wrong with his playing,He could slap me out of the room all day long but like everyone has noticed he does this routine at every bass day and looks around to see who is watching him which looks a little desperate from a distance. And like others have said why not try an actual bass line when trying out a bass? I certainly did on that Classic stingray,Nice it was too! :)[/quote]

Just checking, I know I don't look 18 :)

But yeah from my own point of view, as he's a good mate of mine and my teacher too. I met him back in may in PMT, heard him playing and first thing I noticed was that he was never out of time, which is rare with a lot of slap players nowadays, and he's one of the friendliest bassists I've ever met. He also knows his onions too which is handy!

With regards to complex stuff, he says he uses stuff like that to cut through the noise, which is fair enough and when he's talking to me about playing with others, he always maintains you've got to keep it as simple as possible and pull the occasional fill to catch someone's ears, and I've heard his band stuff as well which is thernomenal.

As for looking around, I always thought he had a tendency to mind his own business, and he said to me on Sunday when we were taking a breather is that he hates looking up and seeing everyone around him, but he just carries on through it.

Each to their own I guess, but as I've said, I'm not going to take offence at everyone's opinion of him, plus I haven't been there the last 4 years so haven't witnessed it :lol:

Edited by goblin

Thats fair enough but playing 9 hours a day for the last four years is not really going to help him with hating seeing everyone watching is it? He is a decent slapper though much better than the girl with the boots on IMO but its no wonder you had to go for a breather! :)

p.s This is not a personal jab at him, I would not judge a book by its cover. Im sure he is a nice guy as he appears to have time to chat with people etc just if a lot of people have for it to be mentioned on here by completely unknown (to each other) bass chatters its clearley not just my observations.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

:) true, I don't think he minds people taking interest, I mean that's how I met him for starters, but I get the same feeling of "what's everyone thinking" but it washes off. I was sat playing the Marleaux Soprabass at the Promenade Stand, and I kept looking up seeing people watching, and noticed a few cameras poking through too, but sod it, I just wanna see the pics :lol:

I know what you mean about the girl with boots at the Shuker stand (Anna), the knowledge is there and she can do it, however I felt she had the same problem a lot of the slappers I heard had, and she was lacking feel for what she was playing. Either was she's another one of the really nice people there, and really good to talk to. Her bass plays thernomenally too!

There was meant to be a new method of keeping the drone in check this year but apart from there being fewer punters it was the same old racket IMO.
I still think there should be some kind of batton passed around for say 20 minute slots to two different stands opposite ends of the building and only the stands with the battons can amplify there stuff. I seriously think it can work and Im sure the likes of (Anna) would sound much better and promote the stands better and then when the noise moves along serious punters can hear to speak to the appropriate people then get in line for the next time the batton comes back in probably 40 mins time and be able to try it for themselves. I know the stands have said they want max exposure and that sort of thing is not fair after they have travelled all that way etc but this is not a fair reflection of their own gear and doing themselves no favours.Someone was saying that they thought the GB's had a sort of sound of their own,They do but they will do all the if you like normal sounds very nicely too trust me.If it was less of a racket and you could talk with the dealers/manufacturers Im sure they would let you go and try whichever bass with whatever amp you like and be able to hear it properly. Plus Mrs Goodfellow made me a nice cup of tea so they cant be that bad! :)

The other idea I had was a seperate room where serious potential buyers could go with the dealers to try out the gear with various amps set up but only a 5 minute slot at a time then the next person and so on all day.As I have said before on another thread something like that sounds stupid because you will say "I want more than 5 minutes before I spend £2K on a bass" but its more about the feel as if you are that serious about a Shuker or GB or Overwater etc you would go and see them at their own place and go through it in detail anyway unless you tried it and it felt perfect in 5 mins then your happy anyway.

The seperate room would be a good idea to be honest. I tried the reddish orange Shuker Horn Fretless out, and loved it to bits, but sitting for 5 - 10 minutes with it ain't gunna be enough to make me go "I want to buy this bass". When I bought my current fretless, it was a whim on ebay, german Corvette for £350 and fortunately I love it, but had I looked at other basses of similar quality along with the Warwick in a quiet room with time to play with the settings and the amp setting (other problem with the Shuker was that I don't like MarkBass amps!) I would have most likely gone for something else. First thing I noticed about the Shuker is that as it's active it has a lot more punch, and it's got a thinner neck profile which feels lovely!

Thats exactly it,Some people dont like certain amps. Im not a big fan of the EBS sound or the Mark Bass for my personal taste so if I had been looking to try something out I would of been asking Bass Direct to let me try something different and in a quiet area would of been really good.5 mins can be enough to say yes I think this is worth trying at length or no this is not for me.

Pretty much, although it's not possible to take every amp there, plus students were still using a lot of the building, but it could definitely work! I've had several recommendations of EBS and I've seen a cab I quite fancy, but before I commit, I'd really have liked to have a go in a nice environment!

One thing I would add and keep forgetting to before we go back to the whinging :) is that I have been 3 years in a row and no one has mentioned Stevie Williams himself? He has consistently played a great opening set of different genres each and every year so I take my hat off to him and feel he is a little over shadowed by the big names.For me he has done a great job every year from a musical point of view,Mad clothes though! :lol:

+1 to there being a Basschat meeting area :lol:

also +1 to playing actual bass lines while trying basses out!

Im guilty of a little too much slapping when demoing a bass (im not even that good at it either :) ) this thread has made me think again before i slap n pop my way through all the basses at the next bass day!

:)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='986220' date='Oct 12 2010, 08:48 PM']One thing I would add and keep forgetting to before we go back to the whinging :) is that I have been 3 years in a row and no one has mentioned Stevie Williams himself? He has consistently played a great opening set of different genres each and every year so I take my hat off to him and feel he is a little over shadowed by the big names.For me he has done a great job every year from a musical point of view,Mad clothes though! :lol:[/quote]

Ahem! I mentioned him [i]and [/i]his sartorial ellegance, and thanked him for doing a fine job. :D

[quote name='goblin' post='986136' date='Oct 12 2010, 07:51 PM']I know what you mean about the girl with boots at the Shuker stand (Anna), the knowledge is there and she can do it, however I felt she had the same problem a lot of the slappers I heard had, and she was lacking feel for what she was playing. Either was she's another one of the really nice people there, and really good to talk to. Her bass plays thernomenally too![/quote]

I dunno i thought she was pretty damn talented. Fancy calling her a slapper! :) she was a looker. I watched her for a while and got the feeling she was thinking 'wtf are you staring at me for type of thing', which was weird and I'm sure was only me being paranoid. I was actually honestly trying to remember where on earth i had seen her before or somewhere around? Dunno maybe she was thinking the same about me. I am strikingly handsome. [i]natch![/i] Though my bass playing is not quite so [i]thernominal[/i] :) as hers and then some. Does she play in any bands?

As for slapping & popping i think there should be a moratorium on it next year and see how we get on.

Edited by daz