Why become a member? ×

Calling all Mark Bass amp owners

Gunsfreddy2003

Evening all,

I recently bought a Mark Bass Little Mark III amp which I think is fantastic but I just wondered how much other MB owners use this control and what for?

I assume that there is no way of switching this on and off with a footswitch?

Any advice on how to use this nifty control would be appreciated.

BTW I play mostly funk music!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='937473' date='Aug 26 2010, 08:13 PM']Evening all,

I recently bought a Mark Bass Little Mark III amp which I think is fantastic but I just wondered how much other MB owners use this control and what for?

I assume that there is no way of switching this on and off with a footswitch?

Any advice on how to use this nifty control would be appreciated.

BTW I play mostly funk music![/quote]

Brilliant amps aren't they?
The VLF boosts the bass and treble and gives a "scooped" sound. Like setting a graphic EQ into a smile setting. Great for slapping or for a modern hi-fi sound.
I find though that it's best not to overdue it; setting it about 11o'clock seems to work. Problem is it sounds good but tends to get a bit lost in a band mix.

There have been quite a few posts on basschat about this and the VLE filter. someone on here gets a really goodsound turning both filters up Try it!

For me with my US Jazz bass my default is to set all the controls flat ie in the middle, the filters off and a bit of low mid boost at 1 o'clock. Sounds great.

Hey man, Thanks for the advice - yes great amps perfect sound and light as a feather too!

It almost feels as though you wish you could boost the VPF just for slap bass type sounds and then turn off again which is why I asked about a footswitch.

[quote name='lonestar' post='937540' date='Aug 26 2010, 09:19 PM']Brilliant amps aren't they?
The VLF boosts the bass and treble and gives a "scooped" sound. Like setting a graphic EQ into a smile setting. Great for slapping or for a modern hi-fi sound.
I find though that it's best not to overdue it; setting it about 11o'clock seems to work. Problem is it sounds good but tends to get a bit lost in a band mix.

There have been quite a few posts on basschat about this and the VLE filter. someone on here gets a really goodsound turning both filters up Try it!

For me with my US Jazz bass my default is to set all the controls flat ie in the middle, the filters off and a bit of low mid boost at 1 o'clock. Sounds great.[/quote]

With my sa450 I start flat, turn it up to the required volume and then tweak a tiny bit, I have not got the VPF past 9 O'clock, its just way too much for me, then VLE really does help to tame the treble boost from the VPF, leaving a scoop to the mids and a bit of a bass boost.

Thing is though, that with the sa450 the extra sweep on the eq means I tend to use the eq more than the filters. As little as possible though....

I use a LMtube (500w version) which I generally run flat with VLE and VPF off with a Sansamp BDDI in front for my tone shaping (great results!) but find the VPF useful for finding different sounds when mucking around playing solo stuff. Its good for getting a more 'modern metal' kind of tone out of the amp if thats your thing and also scooping the mids for slapping. In my experience the VPF yields different results for the active or passive instruments I use.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='937661' date='Aug 26 2010, 11:10 PM']Everything flat - filters off works for me. :)[/quote]

Same for me - just played around with this and realised that using a passive jazz bass the harmonics seem to be much more pronounced with both filters off (while using eq set flat)

Ell flat. - VLE 8-9 oclock & VPF - 9 oclock works well for me. Someone suggested this setting the other day on TB & I found IT to work REALLY well!

All "o'clock" settings :-

LOW 10.30
Low Mid 10.30
Hi Mid 9
Treb 9

BOTH FILTERS OFF!!!

Adjust gain to suit

I found this to work really well. As I had usually used all EQ's flat & both filters at around 9oclock. Was interesting to use all the EQ's as CUTS -adjusting the gain up a li'l more than usual, & NOT using the filters at all. Gave a good punchy sound.

BTW I play mainly funk with it too.

Been using my MB heads for about 4 years now. I tend to keep the EQ pretty flat and just play with the filters.

As my cabs are quite middy i tend to use the VPF on about 8-9 o'clock. This helps make the tone a bit deeper sounding.
I also use the VLE more when i have new strings on.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='937557' date='Aug 26 2010, 09:33 PM']It almost feels as though you wish you could boost the VPF just for slap bass type sounds and then turn off again which is why I asked about a footswitch.[/quote]

MB used to make a LMK head. This is a two channel LM which allows you to switch between the two channel using a foot switch. Sounds like this is what your after.

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=68"]LMK[/url]

These crop up second hand from time to time on here. No idea why they stopped making them.

Edited by dave_bass5

Thanks for that - can't think about buying another head as I have only just got this one! I just think it might have been a nice feature to be able to switch it on and off if you were playing a slap section in a tune for example.

I have found so far that all EQ flat and both filters around 9 to 10 o'clock sounds fantastic but that is only at home - will see what happens when I gig it the first time this coming weekend.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='941103' date='Aug 31 2010, 04:46 PM']MB used to make a LMK head. This is a two channel LM which allows you to switch between the two channel using a foot switch. Sounds like this is what your after.

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=1&vedi=68"]LMK[/url]

These crop up second hand from time to time on here. No idea why they stopped making them.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='941172' date='Aug 31 2010, 06:04 PM']I just think it might have been a nice feature to be able to switch it on and off if you were playing a slap section in a tune for example.[/quote]

It took them long enough to put a mute button on the amps you can tune up silently :-(

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='941194' date='Aug 31 2010, 06:23 PM']Ha ha - lazy Italians!

Not too worried about that as my tuner on the pedalboard mutes the signal anyway.[/quote]

but it does come with 5 gears in reverse. :) Whoops I hear the PC police coming down the drive. :rolleyes: