Why become a member? ×

Going lightweight.....

neilb

Im starting to make inroads into my 40s now and the old Trace stuff is doing me in.

I am looking for a lightweight amp and a 4x10 cab.

I play in a function band playing usual functiony type stuff (bit of everything) and a blues rock band which requires more dynamic/loud playing.

Suggestions and recommendations would be welcomed. I will be buying from Darren at Bass Merchant as he is top bod and only 20 mins up the road from me.

Budget approx £1200k

Thankyou.

Edited by neilb

Check out this thread on EA Micro Head. I have left a photo of my head to show how ridiculously small and light it is.
Oh yeah, I absolutely love the tone ... no valve preamp, who needs one when it sounds so good?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73101&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73101&hl=[/url]

[quote name='neilb' post='937471' date='Aug 26 2010, 08:12 PM']Im starting to make inroads into my 40s now and the old Trace stuff is doing me in.

I am looking for a lightweight amp and a 4x10 cab.

I play in a function band playing usual functiony type stuff (bit of everything) and a blues rock band which requires more dynamic/loud playing.

Suggestions and recommendations would be welcomed. I will be buying from Darren at Bass Merchant as he is top bod and only 20 mins up the road from me.

Budget approx £1200k

Thankyou.[/quote]

Agreed, Darren is a top chap!

Markbass Little Mark 3?

4x10 wise...hmmm. Even the neo 4x10s are stilly fairly heavy.

Have you though about two manageable 1x12s? They pack a wallop, if you get something high end like Aguilar GS or DB.

I take it you've looked here ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=466"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=466[/url] ) for the cabs, which imho are the main area to focus on if you are looking for lightweight. I'll elaborate on that as I've been down your route and despite having owned and/or road tested a few of the high end 'lightweight' digi/switching amps (inc having owned the SA450 and LMK Markbass amps) I've come back to a traditional amp (Thunderfunk). When you consider that your average non-digi/switching amp might be 15kg (excluding valve amps) or so that is still going to be lighter than your lightest cab, by definition a manageable weight. So unless you need a micro-weight amp to fit in a gigbag, I wouldn't get hung up on the weight of the amp; focus on the cabs... oh and despite having owned EBS and Tech Soundsystem Neo cabs I went full circle back to trad ferro magnet Aguilar DB112 cabs! :)

Agree with the above.

It is all about the carry rather than the actual weight.
I allow for 4 short carries; the cabs weigh around 40lbs each and are an easy one hand lift and will go on the back seat of a car if necc'.
I have an amp which is about 20lbs, and a carry bag for leads, etc etc.
IMV, there is no need to go ultra light on an amp for that reason alone.
I know some guys do, but that is so they can walk into the gig with a cab in each hand, bass over the shoulder and amp etc on their back.

For the record, I use an SWR SM400, 2x GS112, 2 basses and the cable/tools bag.
It is an easy compact solution that kicks out 400w and does 90% of the gigs I do.
Up to now, I haven't come across a stage that it will not cope with and any PA worth its salt will have
enough monitor mixes and side fills to keep it that way.

If and only if, I was consistantly doing festival type stages, would I run something like a 700watt rig (DB750 and cabs)

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='937831' date='Aug 27 2010, 09:33 AM']I take it you've looked here ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=466"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=466[/url] ) for the cabs, which imho are the main area to focus on if you are looking for lightweight. I'll elaborate on that as I've been down your route and despite having owned and/or road tested a few of the high end 'lightweight' digi/switching amps (inc having owned the SA450 and LMK Markbass amps) I've come back to a traditional amp (Thunderfunk). When you consider that your average non-digi/switching amp might be 15kg (excluding valve amps) or so that is still going to be lighter than your lightest cab, by definition a manageable weight. So unless you need a micro-weight amp to fit in a gigbag, I wouldn't get hung up on the weight of the amp; focus on the cabs... oh and despite having owned EBS and Tech Soundsystem Neo cabs I went full circle back to trad ferro magnet Aguilar DB112 cabs! :)[/quote]
I'd certainly agree with this- the weight of the head is of no consequence really (unless you insist on having a DB750 or something). Having your cabs effectively split in 2 is a great back saver, I wouldn't want to carry a GS212 about at all, but I'm more than happy making 2 back-safe trips with 2 GS112's. You also gain some modularity for smaller gigs if needed. I'd certainly never want to lug around a trace 4x10 combo again, been there, done that.

The one thing that's not been mentioned here is tone. Going light is certainly a reasonable aim, but if you hate the sound whats the point? So you need to bear in mind what sort of sound you can live with in order to decide what manufacturer you will invest in. I've got very little experience of Neo equipped cabinets and from most peoples remarks about "mid-range humps" I'm not sure I would ever like them as much as ceramics unless that is all hype...

So, what sort of tone do you want? Can you live with a modular setup that means more trips to the car/van?

Can anyone remember the weight of a TE head, I used to own one many, many years ago and from what I remember they weighed a tonne.
I play weddings & functions as well, so a bit of everything and I'm now using Markbass SA450 and Barefaced Compact. Very lightweight and great tone (even the drummer compliments me on it which is a first). Also, and this is important if your playing a lot, it's been very reliable. Only downside is the Markbass has no mute switch (I hate that) and so I have Korg rackmount tuner that does the muting for me. There you go, that's your £1200 spent !

[quote name='Bugbass' post='937765' date='Aug 27 2010, 04:35 AM']I recently switched from Mark Bass to Genz Benz Uber410/Shuttle 9.0, and I`m very happy with that rig. The Genz stuff seems to be of very hight quality and sound is wonderful too.[/quote]

+1 have swapped all of my TE gear to Genz Benz, shuttle 6 max plus Neox 212T, have not regretted it for one little bit and this stuff is so lightweight.

returned to playing at around 40 and thought I could carry on as before, made the mistake of buying over heavy (which used to be std) gear

Brought a mark bass head (fantastic, at least through old school cabs, with a few drawbacks which may be only issues for me) and experimented by with some light weight cabs

Light cabs to me seemed to lack punch and presence, and did nothing for me (never tried a barefaced mind!)

Anyway, earlier this year I finally settled on a TC rig, the cabs are slightly heavy than there lightweight alternative, but they are manageable and do what the old school heavy ones do for me

Edited by lojo

[quote name='farmer61' post='937984' date='Aug 27 2010, 01:03 PM']+1 have swapped all of my TE gear to Genz Benz, shuttle 6 max plus Neox 212T, have not regretted it for one little bit and this stuff is so lightweight.[/quote]

Another vote for the NeoX 212T - best sounding cab I've had so far. And LOUD! if hit with enough power.

Depending on the tone you crave, you could do a lot worse than a Hartke LH500 (or even LH1000 if you need MASSIVE volume!) and two BareFaced compacts... especially if you pick the amp up second-hand!

They may not be as versatile as other amp heads, but to my ears they sound great out of the box - and hugely powerful. The Compacts are unbelievably light for the volume and tone they pump out, and two will allow you to unleash the full power of the amp. They are an easy one-hand carry and the amp is very manageable if you get one in a rack-bag.

There are so many ways of spending money on gear!! Options paralysis beckons...

Firstly, thankyou for all the helpful replies, deffo food for thought.

I now agree that going for a lightweight amp is pointless. I am used to the Trace sound and dont really want to lose it.

My TE head currently sits in a 3u case with a sh*te Behry tuner/racklight. I think I will rehouse it on its own in a light 2u case or rack bag to keep weight down to minimum.

Ive read all of Alex's info on his Barefaced site and Im leaning towards a Compact for now, aposs adding a Midget later on.

So, would a TE 300w head running a Compact be OK?

Thanks

neil

[quote name='neilb' post='938427' date='Aug 27 2010, 08:58 PM']So, would a TE 300w head running a Compact be OK?[/quote]

It would be very ok, but I'd still explore what lightweight heads can do for your tone - and back! I now do 1 journey from my car into the venue with Compact in one hand, amp in shoulder bag, bass & effects board in other hand. :)

[quote name='neilb' post='938427' date='Aug 27 2010, 08:58 PM']So, would a TE 300w head running a Compact be OK?

Thanks

neil[/quote]

I'm fairly sure that the Compact is an 8 ohm cab, so you may only be getting around 200w of power from your TE head... It will certainly work, but according Alex's advice as I understand it, the Compact will "enjoy" a lot more power! Two Compacts will get you the 4 ohm load, still be very light, and come in well under budget!! If you wish to go down the BareFaced route, that is! :)

Going lightweight might also mean fitting them in the boot of a car.

2 12" type cabs will do this in most measly boots. After that you are getting into stack territory with space issues in the car..possibly..
Also running down to 4 ohms. Not sure your TE amp is the solution but if you like it so much, best run that at 4ohms, so with 2 mini 12" cabs at 8 each and you are sorted. FWIW, I think you need a horn in one of them..but YMMV

I would definitely listen before buying.

TE amps sound great. I have used their cabs much, but I know what they sound like.

IMO, you need to do a good shop around and test. Dont close things off because they arent 'neo'. A good set of 2 x 112 cabinets will sound fantastic and still give you that THUMP that ceramic gives you.

[quote name='farmer61' post='937984' date='Aug 27 2010, 12:03 PM']+1 have swapped all of my TE gear to Genz Benz, shuttle 6 max plus Neox 212T, have not regretted it for one little bit and this stuff is so lightweight.[/quote]

And another one here exactly the same setup switched from an early UK era Ashdown ABM 300 rig and would never ever go back! And fits your budget to a tee if you go down the Bassdirect offer route I think its about £1299 including the man bag for the head.

Edited by stingrayPete1977