Why become a member? ×

Is it just me or is 2010 a bad year for selling?

Smash

Just realised some of my gear this past year has been going out the door way under what I normally would let things go for take a look below:

Genz Benz 6.0 amp for £280 then had to pay fees
USA Jazz Bass for £420 then pay fees
Aguilar GS112 £145
Mexican Jazz Bass £180 then pay fees
Then I have lost count on effects pedals selling them for way under the usual prices

I just cannot sell anything at last years prices, am I alone in this?

I agree.

I've had problems selling amps/cabs (admittedly heavy weight stuff) in addition a T-Bird and a Fender Precision. The cabs etc went for a price a lot lower than I expected and didn't shift on here at all, only on eBay where I'm still paying the fees :)

I'm also surprised when people selling stuff seem to make their life hard by keep on changing their minds etc.

It has been an uphill struggle this year IMO. Still thankfully I've nothing else substantial to sell so I can sit tight until things pick up a bit.

Agree with the OP & like many replies have said, the reasons are down to the current economic climate.

Most of what I sell & buy is elderly JapCrap, it was interesting a year or so ago to see that it was weathering the recession well - it appeared that people were still willing to feed their GAS but lowering their sights a little. That's really changed this year, and I've even lost money on a few Ebay sales for the first time - and that's not even taking the 15% combined fees into account.

Definitely a good time to buy in theory - but my catch-22 is that I need to sell to finance buying.

So bugger, then. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Wil' post='929547' date='Aug 19 2010, 11:08 AM']Tell me about it, I had to let a 1212L go for £350, and even then people were asking me to take £300! Mental.[/quote]
Yes Wil, I have my Schroeder 1212L for sale for a great price and no one wants it and I don't want to sell it but I have to.

I finally have all the gear I have ever wanted and don't want to buy or sell anything but now I am forced to as unexpected bills keep arising. So I have to sell to survive but I don't want to sell as my dream equipment is going out the door for silly money. Bad times.

I sell buy-it-now only auctions, set at the price I want. It's amazing how many buyers come to me with low ball bids "I'll buy for 40% of what you are asking" type questions. Stuff usually sells on a relist. I've settled into my kit so I've been selling a lot off. People are spending less.

It's just been announced that The London Music Show has been cancelled for this year, which shows the struggle that everyone out there is having right now

By and large if you've got the gear you NEED you can always wait a little while to buy something you'd LIKE, if money's tight.

I've got all sorts of stuff up for sale at the moment - USA Fender Precision Fretless included - I need a more sensible second car (I know that sounds decadent but the wife and I both need cars for our jobs). The tumble-weed is blowing through everywhere. I'm not even getting derisory offers, which is bad.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='929824' date='Aug 19 2010, 02:06 PM']I've got all sorts of stuff up for sale at the moment - USA Fender Precision Fretless included - I need a more sensible second car (I know that sounds decadent but the wife and I both need cars for our jobs). The tumble-weed is blowing through everywhere. I'm not even getting derisory offers, which is bad.[/quote]
Exactly my point, I have had a load of gear up for sale at very reasonable prices but not even people making offers or swaps with cash, nothing. I really wished I had a load of money in the bank I would buy up all this gear and store it until a few years when hopefully the market will pick up again.

I've probably done more deals this year than ever before ... but very few of them have involved any cash.

If cash is not the driver for the deal (a bloody big 'IF', I know) then swops are the way forward. I've swopped four basses I wasn't playing for four basses that I DO play.

[quote name='farmer61' post='929646' date='Aug 19 2010, 12:16 PM']only if you can't afford it[/quote]

I think all 2nd hand is a gamble, unless you know the seller. I feel a bit more comfortable on this site, as you get a feel of your seller by their posts etc...

I have a rule, I sell at reasonable to very good price, then hopefully, when I buy the bass gods will look down on me a help me get a deal :-)

That said, I was very disappointed that my mirco bass sythn new price is went from £240 down to £180 new... only bought a year and a bit ago and the 2nd value.. 1/3 of what I paid :-(

i've got nearly all my gear for sale at the moment
and it's all been on ebay aswell, just can shift any
don't think i'm being unreasonable with my prices.
just no-one has much cash or if the have they are
taking advantage of the 0% finance all the shops
are offering at the moment, if things don't pick up
soon i'm in deep trouble :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='algmusic' post='929981' date='Aug 19 2010, 04:22 PM']I think all 2nd hand is a gamble, unless you know the seller.[/quote]

True, but in fairness I should point out that (for me) four years of active trading on eBay produced literally dozens of excellent basses which were exactly as described ... and just one 'dog'.

Trading guitars, on the other hand, turned out to be far more hit'n'miss. I wonder why ...

[quote name='hagguy' post='930513' date='Aug 20 2010, 02:48 AM']i've got nearly all my gear for sale at the moment[/quote]

From an eBay perspective, it doesn't help you that your basses are not easily recognised. Looking at your list of four, there are two that I can't picture in my mind at all, plus two where I would need to check before I was sure.

The average, lazy eBayer tends to focus on things that they already know.

Had a think about this, and the problem with this year has been that so far, it has mostly been summer, and the winter bit we've had was in the midst of financial trauma. Generally in summer time people have better stuff to do than trawl the internet, and after a particularly depressing winter, even more so. I've only been able to look over my Dad's ebay account, he sells parts for classic cars and bikes, but the definite trend in the few years he has been doing it is that people sit in buying stuff during winter, so they can spend summer using it, might not be so direct with bass, but sure situation is similar to an extent. This year, winter has suffered, and the rest has been summer. Things I've been selling just took a bit more time to go at the prices I was after.