Why become a member? ×

BC ultimate

throwoff

Right. I have been reading through this place for some time now and it seems to me that if we all HAD to play the same bass starting right now it would be the following -

Squier VM Jazz
Badass Bridge
Wizzard Pickups
John East Pre

Who on BC would accept this bass as their one and only if forced to give up the rest of their gear?

Also what is the BC amp? I was thinking little bastard but not so sure.

[quote name='throwoff' post='922465' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:00 AM']Right. I have been reading through this place for some time now and it seems to me that if we all HAD to play the same bass starting right now it would be the following -

Squier VM Jazz
Badass Bridge
Wizzard Pickups
John East Pre

Who on BC would accept this bass as their one and only if forced to give up the rest of their gear?

Also what is the BC amp? I was thinking little bastard but not so sure.[/quote]

The Squire VMJ don't float my boat - sorry :lol:

I don't like Jazz necks & don't rate Squire a lot. Badass bridge - which one? They're good but I think the Hipshot are neater & have more/better adjustment eg: string spacing. Wizzard pickups I haven't tried so can't comment on but I think I'll stick with Seymour Duncans & biggest no-no = any preamp! Passive for me every day ta very much.

Just call me old fashioned & put a '57 vintage P white blonde in my hands = happy now :rolleyes:

Amp? Little Bastard suits me fine but it won't satisfy the needs of most here, that's for sure :)
Staying with the Ashdown all tube idea though - Small Block 427 I reckon will do more than enough :lol:

Cheerz,
John

[quote name='throwoff' post='922465' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:00 AM']Who on BC would accept this bass as their one and only if forced to give up the rest of their gear?[/quote]

Good grief ! NO way !!!!!!! :)

EDIT: If I was forced to have just one instrument it'd be my Wal which I doesn't in any way conform to this OP spec. :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

Funnily enough I could probably get by with that. If I had to choose just one of the seemingly hundreds of cheap tat basses I've amassed it would be my CSL JapCrap Jazz so an upgraded VMJ is actually quite close.

If it was my choice of upgrades it would be a Schaller 3D bridge, vintage DiMarzio Model J pups (cream covers) and passive electronics - possibly uprated pots, Sprague Orange Drop cap (for the pretty colour) and some switching options. Or maybe stack knobs.

And can I have one of the new black VMJs with maple/pearl block board? And a white pearl scratchplate? Cheers.

Jon.

I'd have thought the road worn jazz, whether or not you like relics (I don't). Jazz basses get a lot of love on here, and the consensus seems to be that that one's a tone monster. The youtube clips back this up for me. If I had one I'd probably refinish it :)

Though I'm loving my JaP 75ri now I swapped the pups for Classic 70s (the same as HWY1?). It's a growly beast!

Agreed on the Wizard pups and J East pre, they seem to be the number 1 recommended items in their respective categories. I've not tried either, though I do own a J retro awaiting fitting.

[quote name='throwoff' post='922465' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:00 AM']Right. I have been reading through this place for some time now and it seems to me that if we all HAD to play the same bass starting right now it would be the following -

Squier VM Jazz
Badass Bridge
Wizzard Pickups
John East Pre

Bit posh for me, but as long as it weighed no more than 8.5 lbs, and I could remove or bypass the pre-amp, fine.

I think the one thing I've learn't on BC is we all, quite rightly, have very different tastes. Granted all those things have had rave reviews from different members but so have a fair few other bits of kit.

In reality the ultimate BC Bass would be like Doctor Who & change into something else periodically to allow for a typical members GAS!

Squier VM Jazz
Badass Bridge
Wizzard Pickups
John East Pre

Fairly close to my ideal bass - especially if I had a fretless version as well. Only changes I'd make would be a different bridge (maybe a Gotoh or similar), Delano SC pickups, swap out the John East for an Audere pre, and add series/parallel switching. But it's mighty close :)

Amp-wise, well, probably some valve amp and an Ampeg SVT810E - that would rock my world :rolleyes:

HTH, Ian

[quote name='throwoff' post='922465' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:00 AM']Who on BC would accept this bass as their one and only [b]if forced to give up the rest of their gear[/b]?[/quote]
If forced to give up the rest of my gear, and someone gave me that as my only bass option, then hell yes. In that situation, it's essentially the only bass available to me in the whole world, and to refuse it would be bonkers. It's still a bass, and not a bad one at that.

Not my first choice by any stretch (lacking a string and riddled with frets :) ), but I'd make it work for me. After all, I'd have the whole of the rest of my life with just the one bass.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='922840' date='Aug 12 2010, 03:12 PM']In that situation, it's essentially the only bass available to me in the whole world, and to refuse it would be bonkers.[/quote]
To be honest, if the only option in the world was a stick with a rubber band nailed to it, I'd take it as long as it could go low enough.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='922840' date='Aug 12 2010, 03:12 PM']If forced to give up the rest of my gear, and someone gave me that as my only bass option, then hell yes. In that situation, it's essentially the only bass available to me in the whole world, and to refuse it would be bonkers. It's still a bass, and not a bad one at that.[/quote]

Surely time to learn to build your own instrument at this point :)