Why become a member? ×

Warwick - Give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

merello

[quote name='JohnR' post='922123' date='Aug 11 2010, 11:00 PM']I am talking about the tail and not the saddles. You end up trying to force a B string into a slot cut for a G sting or even a C string on a Sixer. I owned a Thumb 5 and two Thumb 6's and they were all the same.[/quote]

OK get you now.

AFAIK all the slots on the stop tailpiece are the same size and there can be some issue with certain big chunky strings on 5's and 6's not quite fitting when turned sideways. The consensus seems to be that exposed core strings fit well but agreed that it must be a pain if you use heavy gauge 6 string sets... on the plus side it's got nowt to do with left handed basses; it affects all of them! :)

This has been a great read. After i've got my markbass rig i'm on the hunt for a decent 5 string and have been looking at the Warwick thumb (bolt on, i'm not that rich lol) in a 5 string. I can't understand why the second hand prices are as low as your all saying. Is it just purely because of fashion trends they are cheap? I dont mind saving for a new one as i'm gonna keep it for a long time so depresiation doesn't bother me, is it not worth buying these new now then?
Cheers,

[quote name='budget bassist' post='922110' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:50 PM']Had a streamer $$ (still have this) and a corvette $$, only thing i can complain about is the jack socket. Had to have them replaced on both as soon as i got them. Aside from that, great basses.[/quote]

What exactly goes wrong with the jack socket. I have a streamer jazzman 5 string and sometimes the volume I'm playing at drops and then comes back. I used to think it was my amp, but I'm not so sure.

Love the bass though....

[quote name='snip' post='922199' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:18 AM']What exactly goes wrong with the jack socket. I have a streamer jazzman 5 string and sometimes the volume I'm playing at drops and then comes back. I used to think it was my amp, but I'm not so sure.

Love the bass though....[/quote]
They buzz/hum/cut out when moved etc. They wear out pretty quick. Every bass I've ever owned with a barrel jack has had to have the bass replaced, it's by no means exclusive to Warwick.

[quote name='snip' post='922199' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:18 AM']What exactly goes wrong with the jack socket. I have a streamer jazzman 5 string and sometimes the volume I'm playing at drops and then comes back. I used to think it was my amp, but I'm not so sure.

Love the bass though....[/quote]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='922202' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:22 AM']They buzz/hum/cut out when moved etc. They wear out pretty quick. Every bass I've ever owned with a barrel jack has had to have the bass replaced, it's by no means exclusive to Warwick.[/quote]

As BB rightly said this isn't exclusive to Warwick and the symptoms are usually; no signal followed by horrendous crackling when you move the jack that is inserted into the bass. More often than not wrapping the lead around/through your strap to pull the jack at a slight angle can get you through a gig if you have no back-up... I make it sound like I might have had to do this once or twice! :)

As I stated earlier it is false economy to fit a cheap replacement, get a Switchcraft or similar quality barrell socket

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='921375' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:51 AM']I have a '97 Streamer LX6 and an '04 Infinity SN4.
Both very different. I [i]really[/i] like the J/JJ pick-up configuration on the Infinity/Dolphin.
I've never had any issues with either bass. When I e-mailed Dana B.Goods (US distributor), they answered me at length 15min later, with all the info I'd asked for and more besides.
There are a few designs I don't like (Stryker. Vampyre ain't great)
There are a few design issues with some I do like (Thumb- nneck dive and and a tendency for it to jump off of my lap when seated)
There are some I'd love- Dolphin, Streamer Jazzman, Corvette $$, Fortress Masterman, Streamer Pro M, Fortress Flashback, but which are discontinued, out of my reach financially, hard to find or difficult to justify alongside some of my current basses.

In other words, it's pretty much all good![/quote]
[size=3]..ah yes...I can confirm that you would indeed love owning a Dolphin - of all the basses I own, including a Jaydee supernatural and a Veillette Citron - none "sound" like my Dolphin. [b]Ever had problems finding the "perfect sound" from your bass?[/b] Problem with the Dolphin is that [b]EVERY[/b] setting gives the perfect sound!! When I first bought it I spent most of the evening bemused by all the great sounds it makes...still not sure which is my favourite!!

I can't say that it suffers with nose dive either but the body does have a large lower "hip" - it is a bit weighty though - but that's exotic woods for you...

bit reminscent of Cyprus..?? [/size]

Ive got a serious crush on the Warwick Vampyre NT 5.......i'll get me coat! :)

Seriously though, ive never owned a Warwick myself but have had a few cheeky goes on mates and in shops, my opinion is that they are too easy to play, it cant be right, it must be witchcraft or something!
I'd love a Vampyre bieng a pointy bass kind of person but the price is scary!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='922138' date='Aug 11 2010, 11:11 PM']OK get you now.

AFAIK all the slots on the stop tailpiece are the same size and there can be some issue with certain big chunky strings on 5's and 6's not quite fitting when turned sideways. The consensus seems to be that exposed core strings fit well but agreed that it must be a pain if you use heavy gauge 6 string sets... on the plus side it's got nowt to do with left handed basses; it affects all of them! :)[/quote]

They are - I just bought a replacement tailpiece for a SS1 5-string and all 5 slots are 4mm.
The slots used to be narrower - but having bought a lot of replacement hardware from Warwick in the last few years I know that certainly the broadspaced tailpieces are fine up to full-core .130 B-strings (e.g. DR). The last narrow-spaced tailpiece I bought for a '97 LX6 was wide enough on the B too - whereas the original was about 1mm narrower and had to be filed.

Forgot to mention - after playing almost every boutique bass under the sun I come back to Warwick Streamers. The Stage Ones have tons of punch and growl, and the 97 LX6 I recently bought back has such a rich tone it sounds like a lower-pitched classical guitar. They don't suit every band but I'd be happy using one for almost any style. It also goes without saying that they have one of the best low B's around, and they're 34" scale as standard. They also love DR HiBeams :)

I've got two 1988 Streamer Stage I's, fretted and fretless, and a 2001 Limited Edition bolt-on Thumb (bubinga body, ebony fretboard).

The Thumb is the heaviest and is rock solid. Sounds fabulous too and looks gorgeous. I bought it brand new, as a treat for myself.

The Stage I's are just amazing. They both hang better than the Thumb and have slim necks and are light, but solid. The fretted is my main gigging bass now. The Thumb used to be. I bought both of them in the last two years at good prices.

Though the neck on the Thumb is deeper I still don't have a problem playing it and I haven't got the biggest of hands.

Warwicks are so well made and reliable, and I think they look great, the Streamer especially.

Take advantage of second hand Warwicks being cheaper at the moment. Find one; buy it! Or find three and buy them.

I've always loved the look of the Ash Warwicks, especially the Streamer which to me is simply gorgeous. Yet, I never got round to owning one up until the beginning of the year. Even when I had a record company buying me gear, I still never got one. Anyway, in January, I treated myself and bought blind a brand new Ash Covette Standard, one of the last German made ones. I never played one but loved the look and though that if I hated it I would sell it on or swap it. , after about 12 weeks waiting for it to be made, it arrived and wow, what a bass.

The good points,

1. Build Quality is out of this world.
2. The tone from a passive bass is stunning, especially the E string.
3. The attention to detail is shocking, even the gig bag had a quality checked sheet signed and dated.
4. You get a owners folder with manual, tools, wax etc.
5. Its very very light.

The bad points,

1. Well, its 34" scale which is hard to get used to if you have played Fenders for 23 years. Its still an uncomfortable stretch.
2. I miss the dots on the face of the frets - not a biggy, just used to them after 23 years. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks as they say.
3. It's not a Streamer.

Overall, I love my Warwick. Its so very different to all my other basses but in a very good way. I am planning on getting a fretless Warwick now. Probably a Bubinga standard Corvette. However, these are as rare as rocking horse poo and don't hold out much hope of getting one soon.

[quote name='Linus27' post='955573' date='Sep 13 2010, 11:39 PM']I am planning on getting a fretless Warwick now. Probably a Bubinga standard Corvette. However, these are as rare as rocking horse poo and don't hold out much hope of getting one soon.[/quote]

Surely they're not that rare? I've seen a few though admittedly none on the boards here for a while. I remember when the Gallery in London was crammed with bubinga Corvettes!

[quote name='Linus27' post='955573' date='Sep 13 2010, 11:39 PM']The bad points,

1. Well, its 34" scale which is hard to get used to if you have played Fenders for 23 years. Its still an uncomfortable stretch.[/quote]

:) Fender Jazz/Precision etc are all 34" scale! Unless you've been playing a shortscale Musicmaster or similar you've been playing a 34" :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='955676' date='Sep 14 2010, 07:55 AM']:) Fender Jazz/Precision etc are all 34" scale! Unless you've been playing a shortscale Musicmaster or similar you've been playing a 34" :rolleyes:[/quote]

OK, mmm, why does the neck feel longer and more of a stretch on a Warwick then? It has to be because it has more frets/another octave??

[quote name='Linus27' post='955694' date='Sep 14 2010, 08:33 AM']OK, mmm, why does the neck feel longer and more of a stretch on a Warwick then? It has to be because it has more frets/another octave??[/quote]

i found that with my corvette $$ - i [i]think[/i] it's the way it hangs off the strap and how the shape of the bass makes it sit on your knee.

Edited by ahpook

I had a streamer stage 2 Fiver, the broadneck one. It put me off fivers forever (hated the neck) but the sound, fit and finish and playability were great! Not to mention it looked ridiculously great. I broke the nut on it too, probs down to my heavy handedness. I really wish I'd spent the money on a thumb BO or a corvette $$ now. The 2 are still on my GAS list along with a ray.

[quote name='Linus27' post='955573' date='Sep 13 2010, 11:39 PM'][/quote]

Saw it's twin brother in some shop, and it had an incredible tone, even with tired strings. Loads of midrange, mellow, Not agressive, almost a fretless quality to it. Absolutely loved the natural look as well. Very clean.

I'd bought it, but was looking for something with more bite :/ I kinda regret it now.

Saw another one in Thomann, with black hardware. Even better. That's the look Warwick should go for imo.

The Thumb BO 5 I had was the complete polar opposite. Super aggressive and growly, awesome B, heavy as an oil tanker, horizontal balance, and awkward to play.

[quote name='Linus27' post='955694' date='Sep 14 2010, 08:33 AM']OK, mmm, why does the neck feel longer and more of a stretch on a Warwick then? It has to be because it has more frets/another octave??[/quote]

All to do with where the top strap button is in relation to the 12th fret and the placement of the bridge (specifically the saddle break point) in relation to the back of the body. :)

I bought a FNA Jazzman after originally saving for a Stingray. Went to the shop, strapped the Stingray on and was heart broken as it felt like a lump of wood! (and I don't mean this as a criticism of the stingray, just how it felt in my hands).

Anyway they had the FNA on the wall and it had the humbucker pickup (along with a jazz) and man as soon as I laid my hand on the neck I wanted it! Ovangkol neck, wenge fingerboard.....I can still feel the sap from the wood I swear :)

I've had it, must be close to 10 years now, and I tell you I will be buried with this!! It is my go-to-bass for any session or dep work as I don't worry when I've got it strapped on. Never had an issue except one niggle, plastic battery compartment cover on the back with a quick release system!! Now attached via gaffa tape!!! Ha Ha

I picked up my Thumb for the first time in ages today (been playing double bass at home and gigging my Jazz for the last six months or so), I'd forgotten how good it sounds.

It really does have its own character, more so than any other bass I've played I think. But it works, it's nothing outlandish, it still sounds right in a band mix, but it somehow manages to stand out just enough too. Especially the burbly purry sound from the D and G.

I think I'm going to get it set up nicely and start gigging it again. :)

[quote name='hoiho' post='956626' date='Sep 14 2010, 10:04 PM']Lovely.

That's [i]exactly[/i] the bass I want next (except with black hardware and active pups) as sister to my fretless bubinga corvette.[/quote]

NO NO NO, it was all going to well until you said you had a fretless bubinga corvette. I am so desperate for one of them. Please please please sell me yours. At least post a picture to really upset me :)