Why become a member? ×

Best 2nd hand active 5 string?

nash

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='919759' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:10 PM']U already know what im gonna say so i wont bother.......

If you bargain hard you'll probably just about get one for a grand

:)[/quote]

that would be awesome.

and the Sei.

[quote name='Rich' post='919792' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:34 PM']You could do a lot worse than this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97458"]very nice Lakky DJ5[/url]. I'd have it myself if I had the moolah.[/quote]

i'd like your Shuker. was that a 5?

and yes that DJ is lovely

Edited by nash

[quote name='nash' post='919803' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:48 PM']i'd like your Shuker. was that a 5?[/quote]
Yup, my Shuke is a 5, and you can have it if you like. A certain amount of prising open of cold dead hands would be required, however :)

Might be worth having a word with Jon though, & see what your grand will get.

[quote name='Rich' post='919792' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:34 PM']You could do a lot worse than this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97458"]very nice Lakky DJ5[/url]. I'd have it myself if I had the moolah.[/quote]

I wanted that last time round.

It is also active so that is a major plus over the original IMV. You could always throw a John East at it, if it needed it.

[quote name='Wil' post='919779' date='Aug 9 2010, 04:26 PM']Status S2 Classic bolt ons tend to go for around 1K. I doubt you'd find a better built bass for double that.[/quote]

A big +1 on that one! You simply won't find better than an S2-Classic at that money.

The other suggestion on this thread was the Stingray 5 - The pre 2008 models have ceramic pickups, which give an amazing clean and bright sound. Highly recommended. :)

I went on a huge '5 String that still looks almost traditional' and the best I found were:

Stingray 5 - 2008 onwards have the nicer (IMO) warmer Alnico pups. Sorry to disagree with OTPJ, but im all for warmth and traditional tone. I think this reflects on why the pre-08s (aprt from the early ones) dont sell so well secondhand. That, and the fact that most people seem to ignore the more popular and traditional colours, so when they sell it on, they dont get as much back. You should be able to pick up a second hand 08-onward Ray 5 (single H) for under £1K, and it will, well should be, in fantastic condition. Pre-08 Rays go for SILLY money, and are bargains IMO. In a few years, Rays will come back into fashion and prices will change accordingly.

Lakland DJ5/JO5 - Great feel, nice neck (although the 35" scale makes the instrument sound very 'deep' compared to the 34" scale DJ4/JO4) but it can lead to tired hands due to the fact the neck is so large. Still a nice instrument to play. My gripe? Paying £1K+ for an instrument thats not as great QC wise as it should be. If you get a good one, you will be very happy. If you dont, you will be messing around for ages and wasting time trying/buying/refunding the same bloomin models 5 times over. If you want more bite, it needs a nice pre adding or a nice pre amp pedal.

Personally, after all the messing about, and the fact you dont get a proper hardcase, I went for the Ray 5 (still incoming) purely because after trying one I LOVED it. I will not be modding this bass in any way due to fact the pups and preamp work so well. Plus, it looks traditional, and is tried and tested. The Ray 5 is one of the best selling 5 string basses ever made.

This was a very very long process, but I got there is the end.

If you can get a boutique 2nd hand instrument for under £1k, go for a Sei/Overwater.

Another option is a Sadowsky Metro 5, but these have a totally different sound to a normal Fender. Very well made, and highly regarded as fantastic basses. I doubt these would come under £1k though.

IMO - Ray 5 all the way.

Edited by Musicman20