Why become a member? ×

Apparently I'm to ask about Ashdown

Jono Bolton

I've been told by a guy on another forum (the Guitarist one) that I'm to have a chat with people on here about Ashdown bass amps. Probably because in the new year I'm planning on buying an ABM EVO II 500 2x10 combo, and eventually a 4x10 extension cab. So because I've been told that I should speak to people on here about them, I can only assume it's bad stuff I'm going to hear. Any advice?

You will certainly hear some varied accounts. The previous incarnation of this forum 'BassWorld' had some very colourful posts about them. Mark Gooday himself came on to make a very public post about their gear too!

I am pretty sure a lot of the 'issues' are now in the past and to be honest are probably not worth mentioning with ref to new kit. Ashdown get very good reviews now. I haven't used Ashdown in anger at all, so can't offer any experience reviews.

Ashdown have quite an endorser list, so they can't be that bad!

[quote name='jono b' post='102679' date='Dec 11 2007, 01:32 PM']I've been told by a guy on another forum (the Guitarist one) that I'm to have a chat with people on here about Ashdown bass amps. Probably because in the new year I'm planning on buying an ABM EVO II 500 2x10 combo, and eventually a 4x10 extension cab. So because I've been told that I should speak to people on here about them, I can only assume it's bad stuff I'm going to hear. Any advice?[/quote]

You could try some ABM combos on here for sale, and make up your own mind. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6378&hl=ashdown+abm"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=ashdown+abm[/url] 4x10

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3105&hl=ashdown+abm"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=ashdown+abm[/url] 1x15

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5142&hl=ashdown+abm"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...;hl=ashdown+abm[/url] 1x15

Hello mate, welcome to the forum. We are a lovely bunch, and that is probably why we have been recommended so highly by your guitar chums ;0)

As per Ashdown gear - I think the reason you have been told to ask is because it seems their equipment is like marmite - some people love it and others not so much. Some describe the sound as a bit 'wooly', others as 'vintage' and others as 'warm' but at the end of the day, its all about what you plug into it and what you like yourself. I have read things about reliability problems with lots of their gear though so perhaps be wary of that - but then I know people who have never had a problem! Err.. not being much help am I?

It sounds like you are decided on Ashdown already which is cool - where did you try one out? What kind of music do you play?

I say if you like the sound of it, go for it and ignore everyone else! Just make sure the gear has a warranty!

Cheers and welcome
ped

it wont be all bad, some BCers love em.

However, I predict that most if not all opinions will offer the same general advice....... listen and try for yourself.

Like most things (apart from income tax), its subjective.

Ashdown do have good customer support IME.

PS - i would still go for a Trace tho!!!

[quote name='ped' post='102686' date='Dec 11 2007, 01:38 PM']It sounds like you are decided on Ashdown already which is cool - where did you try one out? What kind of music do you play?

I say if you like the sound of it, go for it and ignore everyone else! Just make sure the gear has a warranty![/quote]

I first tried one out when my band was gigging, another band we were playing with had a MAG head and it was pretty much the first time I've been really impressed with a sound, before that I'd been using some pretty sh*tty Peavey heads that some venues had already, and a Hartke head of some variety. Anyhoo, the next gig I played was the Barfly in Glasgow, and the bass player for another band loaned me his ABM 300 head, and I pretty much fell in love. It's just a solid, meaty sound, and when I used my OD pedal I was pretty much decided that I needed one. Exactly the sound I'm looking for, not something flashy for slapping, just a full on, heavy, dependable sound.

I use the ABM 500 1 x 15" combo with an ABM 4 x 10" cab.

I think it sounds great :) and I've had no reliability issues.

OK, it's not got a 'hi fi' sound - but that's not what I want...

It sounds organic, full of life, warm and needs very little eq.

But of course you have to try it out for yourself, and enjoy!

Edited by David Nimrod

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='102709' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:19 PM']I use the ABM 500 1 x 15" combo with an ABM 4 x 10" cab.

I think it sounds great :) and I've had no reliability issues.

OK, it's not got a 'hi fi' sound - but that's not what I want...

It sounds organic, full of life, warm and needs very little eq.

But of course you have to try it out for yourself, and enjoy![/quote]

bang on.
i'm pretty much the same. I don't want something that cuts through the mix, i want something that makes people want to go to the lavatory but they don't know why.

If that makes sense
I really like my ABM300 - I only use it with a mini 15, but it's plenty for what i want it for. I'll pair it up with a 210 sooner or later.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='102741' date='Dec 11 2007, 03:28 PM']I don't think anyone disagrees about the sound of ashdown, it's just whether you like that sound or not. He obviously does, so I have nothing to contribute other than my attempt a wit![/quote]

Fair enough :) and good luck with the gig...

I had an early ABM 500 2x10 combo and returned it to the retailer as the tolex covering was coming off faster than a fat lasses knickers down the Bigg Market on a Saturday night (Geordie reference ignore it) and the mute button... didn't (not fully anyway). Upon return to the retailer I was told that 'they all do that'. Refund please!

[quote name='jono b' post='102694' date='Dec 11 2007, 01:51 PM']It's just a solid, meaty sound, and when I used my OD pedal I was pretty much decided that I needed one. Exactly the sound I'm looking for, not something flashy for slapping, just a full on, heavy, dependable sound.[/quote]

+1 It's a great sound. I've owned an ABM500 for many years. It can sound a bit woolly under some circumstances, but the setup you're talking about should sound really good. 2x10 + 4x10 will certainly make the audience want to visit the lavatory.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='102760' date='Dec 11 2007, 03:58 PM']I thought the quality issues with Ashdown were with the MAGs, not the ABMs?[/quote]

The MAGs are certainly a fair bit cheaper, and you get what you pay for as they say. The MAG head I tried sounded nice, but the ABM was much better. And the MAG has a horrible carpet covering.

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='102797' date='Dec 11 2007, 05:18 PM']+1 It's a great sound. I've owned an ABM500 for many years. It can sound a bit woolly under some circumstances, but the setup you're talking about should sound really good. 2x10 + 4x10 will certainly make the audience want to visit the lavatory.[/quote]

I think it depends on what kind of music you play using it, and what bass you have. I look for a kind of Brand New/Reuben sort of thick, meaty sound, and then OD on top, using a Fender Jazz with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. It might not be the sort of amp for heavier stuff, Ashdown are a bit old school

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='102797' date='Dec 11 2007, 05:18 PM']+1 It's a great sound. I've owned an ABM500 for many years. It can sound a bit woolly under some circumstances, but the setup you're talking about should sound really good. 2x10 + 4x10 will certainly make the audience want to visit the lavatory.[/quote]

I`ve used an ABM 500 for 3 years with only the odd blown fuse here and there. Use mine with an SWR 4 by 12 and a matching 18inch Fane cab with a bullet tweeter that I built myself! Love the sound and it`s certainly brown trouser time when you turn it up :)