Why become a member? ×

Very rare Zon VB4 in immaculate condition - SOLD pending usual stuff

molan

Here's my lovely baby Zon VB4 bass - I never thought I'd part with this as it's an astonishingly versatile bass &, being so diminutive in size it's incredibly useful for rehearsals & live use in a cramped space. I've never seen another one of these in the UK - other than in the hands of the amazing Michael Manring who helped in the design (in fact I think the VB comes from Vinnie Bass - Michael calls his bass Vinnie, lol).

It weighs sod-all but has a huge depth of tone - totally belies the old theory that you need lots of wood mass in order to get deep and rounded bass tones.

All electronics are by Bartolini and individually specified by Zon. The on board pre has bass, treble & a great mid control. The mid is really flexible - it's a larger pot than the rest and designed so that it's the first one to grab when playing live to fine tune your on-stage sound.

Body is swamp ash & the neck is composite but has a matte finish and is very 'organic' in feel.

Comes with a great custom fit soft/hard case.

More details [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/zon-vb4-pre-owned/"]HERE[/url]

Edited by molan

[quote name='lozbass' post='915321' date='Aug 4 2010, 08:20 PM']Feverishly working my way through Molan's signature...[/quote]

As I'm feverishly working my way through how few basses I might end up with at the end of this bout of selling :)

I've had a couple of people query the price on this with the intimation that they could get a new one for about the same amount.

The Zon site says:
[i]"The VB bass is a limited-production instrument that is only available factory direct and will not be found in any stores. Price shown is the actual purchase for the instrument. No additional discounts apply"[/i]

Base price $2,050 = about £1,350 at recent exchange rates (which, I'm guessing is why people have queried my price).

However, in order to get one in Europe you'd have:
Insured delivery $175 = £115
VAT @ 17.5% = £255
Duties about 3% = £45 (I'm not sure exactly how much these work out at but it always seems to be somewhere between 2% & 3%)

Total = £1,765

If you take the £30 delivery cost off my valuation then I'm asking for £1,320 which is a 25% discount for something that's pretty much unobtainable new over here without a long(ish) wait.

I really think this is pretty reasonable - it doesn't mean I won't listen to offers but I do refute the fact that it's possible to buy a new one for £1,350 delivered in Europe. . .

Bump for an awesome bass that I really want but can't afford.

The cases for the new Vinnies aren't as good as the one with this bass - they just come with a gig bag now.
I think the newer ones may have bolt-on necks too (it says bolt-on on the Zon website), unlike this one which has a lovely set neck.

[quote name='RhysP' post='916970' date='Aug 6 2010, 01:52 PM']Bump for an awesome bass that I really want but can't afford.

The cases for the new Vinnies aren't as good as the one with this bass - they just come with a gig bag now.
I think the newer ones may have bolt-on necks too (it says bolt-on on the Zon website), unlike this one which has a lovely set neck.[/quote]

This case really is a perfect match, so easy to just throw onto the back seat of the car & off to a gig or rehearsal, fits just about any size of car boot as well :)

The new ones are bolt ons, I think the set neck is a much nicer finish - obviously a personal preference but I do have a bit of a 'thing' for set necks, lol.

[quote name='molan' post='918170' date='Aug 7 2010, 05:33 PM']Not if it's a £1M jackpot :)[/quote]
It doesn't matter how much the jackpot was - I'd still have to make do with a pooey new bolt-on Vinnie with a crap gig bag instead of yours . :rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='918200' date='Aug 7 2010, 06:14 PM']I realise you're looking for cash sales, Barrie, but do please let me know if you decide you'll accept trades on this bass.

I probably don't have anything you'd be after, but "don't ask, don't get".

:)[/quote]

Hi Jack,

I've agreed a price with a very friendly guy in Italy - just need to work out international transfer stuff really.

Why do the damn banks try to charge £25 just to receive funds in Euros, grrrrr. . . .

I'd be all over this if I wasn't waiting for delivery of a Zon myself. I will just add that if you wanted to buy a Zon new, there is a 6month waiting list and mine has been overdue for 3 month now. So when these come up for sale, it's a worthwhile proposition if you're interested. Or like me, it'll be a year long wait...

Edited by GremlinAndy

I have to say that I've had a couple of Zons (Sonus model) and they are well 'sorted' basses and the one that I have now will be a keeper for a long time to come... and that's not WH clever marketing speak! :rolleyes:

The rarity of this set neck VB4 should be warranting a quicker sale especially at the price. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='924084' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:12 PM']The rarity of this set neck VB4 should be warranting a quicker sale especially at the price. :)[/quote]

You know, I don't think I've ever seen another one in the UK - other than in the hands of Michael Manring :rolleyes: