Why become a member? ×

Stingray Choice - 2EQ, 3EQ, or Classic (again!)

Musicman20

Since I sold my Rays, Ive seriously missed everything about them. Everything. The tone, the feel and the sheer grunt.

I did have a Classic for about a day, but unfortunately there was a problem with the neck.

I am half tempted to treat myself after finally finding a really good job. I like Rays, and I want more of them! At the moment its split between a Ray 4 H 2EQ, Ray 4 3EQ, or Classic Ray On the other hand is another Fender Jazz Bass.

Im having a rubbish time with bands at the moment, but im determined to push on and find something thats worth putting the effort in for.

Opinions?

Do I need more Rays? No, but I cant find anything else that does it like a Ray.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='914408' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:48 PM']why did u sell them?[/quote]

Well, one of them was being sold for a Stingray 5 HS, check....thats sorted!

The other was sold, and I dont know why. I was offered a very good price and I snapped it up to purchase a Stingray Classic, or just a normal Stingray in a colour I preferred, and in the end I went back to a White H 4 String 3 EQ which im waiting for.

So I never had to spend much more to get what I wanted, as I sold two for two. The Classic Stingray was beautiful, but the neck issue seriously put me off, which was a massive shame.

Now I still want another simple H Ray, whether it be another 3 EQ, 2 EQ, or the new Classics (hopefully with no neck issue).

I'm not that experienced, but have played with few and my SUB is 2-EQ.

Personally I prefer 2-EQ. It feels to me much more meaty, around the lows and the treble seems a bit clearer. Also I like just turning the knobs till I get a sound I like instead of worrying about it being flat, which I believe the 3-EQs have centre idents.
Surely it is more battery economic?

Anyway if I had the kind of budget to buy a classic, I'd think about alternatives, big al4 SSS, try and get a really good condition Pre-EB ray
Or a sabre?
The thing about the big al and the sabre is the exclusivity, and a different querk on the "ray" tone.

Although, you have 2 Ps and 2 rays, it may make sense to go ahead and grab a new American deluxe Jazz. But then again I find the ray sound can fit in a lot more mixes and be played with fingers or a pick and still sound great.

(btw did you ask you guitarist about te orange?)

Get both

I have a jazz and a sterling, that is a better combo than a jazz and 'ray for me as I have smallish hands.
I find, the range of tones from both basses is incredible, they cover just about anything! Add to that a fretless Jazz and I'm very happy!
Would like another 5 string, but difficult which way to go, Jazz and MM!

I would go 2 band! I aint played one for a while, didn't miss the mid control when I did and i remember they sounded great, one less knob to tweak as well, I like it simple when on stage!

Classic sterling for me, 2 band, in powder blue, will be joining a sea foam green jazz and a lake placid blue jazz!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

never played a 2 band but i love the 3-band tone when you just dial out a touch of mid punch, it sits in our mix so well.
I'm pretty sure it won't have any different issues with battery consumption, very similar preamp circuit with just another tone stage built in, extra current draw is going to be negligible. I have a piezo 3-eq bought last year off a forum member and it has the best neck of any bass I've played (apart from one of Alan's ACG beauties)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='914477' date='Aug 4 2010, 12:15 AM']I'm not that experienced, but have played with few and my SUB is 2-EQ.

Personally I prefer 2-EQ. It feels to me much more meaty, around the lows and the treble seems a bit clearer. Also I like just turning the knobs till I get a sound I like instead of worrying about it being flat, which I believe the 3-EQs have centre idents.
Surely it is more battery economic?

Anyway if I had the kind of budget to buy a classic, I'd think about alternatives, big al4 SSS, try and get a really good condition Pre-EB ray
Or a sabre?
The thing about the big al and the sabre is the exclusivity, and a different querk on the "ray" tone.

Although, you have 2 Ps and 2 rays, it may make sense to go ahead and grab a new American deluxe Jazz. But then again I find the ray sound can fit in a lot more mixes and be played with fingers or a pick and still sound great.

(btw did you ask you guitarist about te orange?)[/quote]

Ive always been a 3 band player, but I listened to a demo of a 2 band yesterday (normal Ray) and I loved it. Im thinking one 2 band Ray, one 3 band Ray, and one 5 String Ray. Two of them are coming anyway....just need to think if its Fender Jazz or 2EQ Ray....hmm.

I can see your point on the Big Al, etc, but Ive found that im stubborn with tone. I love the whole Big Al style, but Im still not 100% sold on the tone UNTIL I test one....that might sway me.

I asked about your Orange rig and atm hes also selling an amp so has no spare cash. But this might change.

Cheers!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='914702' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:57 AM']Ive always been a 3 band player, but I listened to a demo of a 2 band yesterday (normal Ray) and I loved it. Im thinking one 2 band Ray, one 3 band Ray, and one 5 String Ray. Two of them are coming anyway....just need to think if its Fender Jazz or 2EQ Ray....hmm.

I can see your point on the Big Al, etc, but Ive found that im stubborn with tone. I love the whole Big Al style, but Im still not 100% sold on the tone UNTIL I test one....that might sway me.

I asked about your Orange rig and atm hes also selling an amp so has no spare cash. But this might change.

Cheers![/quote]

There is a comparison thread somewhere, however I enjoy two band. Just have bass on full then treble as needs be, but only enough to bring articulation and cut to the higher register notes.
I'm trying to get a hold of John East MMSR which apparently mimics the 70's rays, bass at 50hz and treble at 10khz. I do t know the parameters of the modern rays, but I'm thinking bass is around 40hz and treble at 4 or 3 kHz, I would hope that the classic rays would have the 70s repo pre-amp too.

The big al and reflex just help broaden the range EbMM offer now. IMO there was just one sound they offered that varied slightly.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='916041' date='Aug 5 2010, 02:42 PM']There is a comparison thread somewhere,[/quote]

Yes, that was Linus27's thread, do you remember it Gareth?

Ive not played a 2EQ Ray but did have a Sub for a while and i did prefer the tone over my Ray34 (so neither a real SR4). Saying that, there really didn't seem to be much in it to my ears but the Sub did seem a bit thicker in the low end.

Don't get either, get an L2000 :)

For the real 'ray tone I'd say 2EQ, but having had a couple of 2EQs myself, I'd go for a 3EQ if I were to get another, it just adds another dimension to the tone, BUT, it's arguable that it doesn't sound as authentic as a 2EQ.

Mixed views I see! I guessed as much. Ive always been a 3EQplayer, and I can make it sound warm/thuddy as well as aggressive and punchy.

I would like a 2EQ though....just for something different.

Ive asked for some quotes anyway...we shall see.

Thanks chaps btw, Linus's thread was very helpful.

Oh no not a 2 band Vs 3 band thread again!

I have both but have never tried an EB 2 band but I beleive the circuit components are the same as my pre and that sounds great!.If a 2 band equals a pre EB with a contour body that sounds good to me. :)

If you want the full deal like someone said earlier get a clean pre instead,Thats if you can find one. I know there are a few BC'ers with them tucked away under the bed that may sell them but if you want to know what they want for them send me a pm. :rolleyes:

There does seem to be a common theme on Basschat of people who love stingrays that go around the houses with all sorts of special versions and custom orders then sell them on only to find they need another Ray, Yet those that have pre EB's appear to rather sell a relative or rarely used body part before they would sell them and not just because of future possible value but as actual gigging basses.Im not sure the gap in price between all the versions is worth it either.A nice pre is just that and will always find a new home for good money whereas EB's drop like lead balloons and unfairly at the moment I think. For £700 you can have choice of colour on ebay or even on here,Is a classic that different to warrant the massive ammount of extra cost? For that price you could buy a 2 and a 3 band EB that would be just as good IMO.

It always ends the same with this common thread,Either fork out for a pre or save some money and enjoy a nice secondhand EB. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='916310' date='Aug 5 2010, 07:23 PM']There does seem to be a common theme on Basschat of people who love stingrays that go around the houses with all sorts of special versions and custom orders then sell them on only to find they need another Ray, Yet those that have pre EB's appear to rather sell a relative or rarely used body part before they would sell them and not just because of future possible value but as actual gigging basses.Im not sure the gap in price between all the versions is worth it either.A nice pre is just that and will always find a new home for good money whereas EB's drop like lead balloons and unfairly at the moment I think. For £700 you can have choice of colour on ebay or even on here,Is a classic that different to warrant the massive ammount of extra cost? For that price you could buy a 2 and a 3 band EB that would be just as good IMO.

It always ends the same with this common thread,Either fork out for a pre or save some money and enjoy a nice secondhand EB. :)[/quote]

I agree on the pricing. Id imagine for a brand new Ray, no one should be asking less than £900-£1000 as they retail for about £1300 for a normal 3EQ Ray 4 H.

I did go round the houses. One of the basses I sold was for the Ray5 HS, which I knew had to happen. The other got sold for the Classic Ray, which wasnt as spot on as I expected. I still want one though.

I have definitely come to the conclusion I miss have two different 4 string H 3EQ Rays, so I might just get another. I think once you find a bass/brand that works for you, its sometimes best to ignore any other brands that sway you, as it can lead to disappointment. Im really missing having that massive Ray sound. Yes, I have 2 incoming, but I sold one that I really didnt need to, so I will learn my lesson and bu another! 2EQ or 3EQ standard.

It might just be a 3EQ, as Ive heard the latest 2EQ models arent like the old 2EQ models. In addition, those extra 'lows' we all like are actually very punishing on your amp/speaker, and its not actually needed! Sounds nice though. We shall see.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='916430' date='Aug 5 2010, 09:42 PM']I think you have a point there on pre-EBs they retain they're price pretty consistently where as even good SR4s are going for less than half te price new, but I think Gareth here is the kind to buy new.....
I might get saving for a Pre-EB now.[/quote]

I am a fan of buying new. I dont like buying and not knowing any potential problems, which is me just being picky and cautious as usual!

That's the danger of the bay.

My jag is brought new and anything vie changed has been for the worse so I just changed it all back to standard, action is amazingly low.

If I had the money to go spare I'd buy a new ray, but I'm gassing for pre-eb ray with a maple board.

Anyway back on topic.
2EQ is better IMO, the lows feel much fatter and the treble cuts better.