Why become a member? ×

Stingray Choice - 2EQ, 3EQ, or Classic (again!)

Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='916840' date='Aug 6 2010, 11:31 AM']I agree on the pricing. Id imagine for a brand new Ray, no one should be asking less than £900-£1000 as they retail for about £1300 for a normal 3EQ Ray 4 H.

I did go round the houses. One of the basses I sold was for the Ray5 HS, which I knew had to happen. The other got sold for the Classic Ray, which wasnt as spot on as I expected. I still want one though.

I have definitely come to the conclusion I miss have two different 4 string H 3EQ Rays, so I might just get another. I think once you find a bass/brand that works for you, its sometimes best to ignore any other brands that sway you, as it can lead to disappointment. Im really missing having that massive Ray sound. Yes, I have 2 incoming, but I sold one that I really didnt need to, so I will learn my lesson and bu another! 2EQ or 3EQ standard.

It might just be a 3EQ, as Ive heard the latest 2EQ models arent like the old 2EQ models. In addition, those extra 'lows' we all like are actually very punishing on your amp/speaker, and its not actually needed! Sounds nice though. We shall see.

I am a fan of buying new. I dont like buying and not knowing any potential problems, which is me just being picky and cautious as usual![/quote]

This theory is massively flawed as you have proved to us and yourself,My pre is old but bought through a good dealer who would not of bought a lemon as he hand picks them in the States wheras you ordered a Classic brand new and it had issues from the start which I know you went into on another thread so I wont go into it.New is not always best IMO.

As far as Im aware the 2 band eq is the same circuit albeit on a modern PCB on the very latest EB's so as far as sound goes the only real difference is the slab body where the EB will lose a bit of body to its sound.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='917169' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:16 PM']This theory is massively flawed as you have proved to us and yourself,My pre is old but bought through a good dealer who would not of bought a lemon as he hand picks them in the States wheras you ordered a Classic brand new and it had issues from the start which I know you went into on another thread so I wont go into it.New is not always best IMO.

As far as Im aware the 2 band eq is the same circuit albeit on a modern PCB on the very latest EB's so as far as sound goes the only real difference is the slab body where the EB will lose a bit of body to its sound.[/quote]
Ah yes I see your point.

Its not just that, its the warranty as well I like to have, but yep, dealers will only tend to get top models.

Good to know info on the 2 Band EQ as well.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='916296' date='Aug 5 2010, 07:14 PM']Pre-EB.[/quote]
+1 love mine to bits....but still really missing a 4 string jazz in my life - If i have a MM i miss the Jazz and & vice versa but now i have a Pre EB and thats staying for keeps (hopefully) but a jazz purchase is on the cards in a few months but will probabaly go 2nd hand Lakland :)

I think that info is right that from when the electrolytic capacitors came in like I have in my 82 pre that the circuit stays the same as up to today with the inclusion of a resistor for protection which some have retro fitted anyway.Im intrigued to compare an EB 2 band to a pre EB and a 3 band EB,that really is the main differences between Rays. I think after that its very small points and which feels best/colour choice.

Anyway when are your new ones due to arrive? Im getting a small build up of gas for a white Ray and maybe a white pup too! HHhhmmm :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='917321' date='Aug 6 2010, 07:27 PM']+1 love mine to bits....but still really missing a 4 string jazz in my life - If i have a MM i miss the Jazz and & vice versa but now i have a Pre EB and thats staying for keeps (hopefully) but a jazz purchase is on the cards in a few months but will probabaly go 2nd hand Lakland :)[/quote]

Lots of love about right now for the Pre and a lot of experienced players who have owned A LOT of gear saying like you that unless a kidney fails or something that the pre is here to stay.

There has been cheaper ones on the for sale forum here.

eBay is bad place to get a hold of pre-CBS and pre-EB basses, one person with one who spent £500 on it see the Germans price there's at 2k and then they think they can aswell, even if it's a dog. I just saw a 63 precision neck on the bay for £1k+

I agree that the pre-EB rays are alot cheaper.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='917911' date='Aug 7 2010, 12:44 PM']There has been cheaper ones on the for sale forum here.

eBay is bad place to get a hold of pre-CBS and pre-EB basses, one person with one who spent £500 on it see the Germans price there's at 2k and then they think they can aswell, even if it's a dog. I just saw a 63 precision neck on the bay for £1k+

I agree that the pre-EB rays are alot cheaper.[/quote]

Personally, I hate ebay for buying. Id never buy a bass off ebay...id rather wait until it comes up here.

Agreed though, Id love an early Ray, but Im far too picky.

From reading a few reviews of those who got a top notch Classic Ray, they are 'stating' they prefer it to their original Ray. This is from the EB Forums btw. They could still be in the honeymoon period though.

My main issue is that at the moment, as mentioned, Ernie Ball basses are not fetching what they should. £650 for an immaculate Ray is just silly. I think its just not the right time to be selling one.

But, in America, they seem very popular still.

All it needs is one current large UK band to start using one live and you see a few more people buying them :) Remember Song 2 by Blur? I used to get a lot of people asking 'what bass does he use, it sounds and looks fantastic!' etc etc.

Maybe its the colour choices though. Black/Natural/White/Burst are still the best colours on a Ray IMO and always seem to sell quicker.

This is the problem and something is worth what someone pays for it anyway,Not many people who are in the market for something like a pre CBS or a pre EB are going to do it via the bay although it is a first step if its a dealer where you can go and try it.Buying from a dealer is good to get the best of both like backup and warranty almost like having new but with the options of rarer and more exclusive basses. I would not pay £1700 out of my paypal account for anything without checking it out in the flesh anyway,But a refin would cost you that price from a dealer never mind the case and candy etc.Someone was quoted a value of £1500-1600 for a mint 77 inc teardrop case and all the candy on another thread,that maybe what a dealer would give you after there 15% cut.See what a case and candy are worth alone bearing in mind I have never seen an original hang tag ever only repros.I use mine regularly so its going to pick up damage and wear so its going the wrong way in value unless there is a shift upwards anyway.But with a haggle in the flesh and a behind ebay deal to save seller fees theres a nice pre there for someone I think. I like black on black rays but maybe more on an EB,Perhaps if it were natural with black P/G it would get more love?

Anyway what was this thread about,Oh yeah Pre +1 or Secondhand EB either 2 or 3 band I think all is good! :)

Really though how different can a Classic be to my EB? Mine is in need of a setup which I think will make more of a difference when its done on tuesday.

[url="http://imageevent.com/nicksguitars/stingray1993tealblue;jsessionid=cyjm8rp5y2.zebra_s"]http://imageevent.com/nicksguitars/stingra...m8rp5y2.zebra_s[/url]

What about this? 2 band,mutes and well known as great age for necks half the price of a Classic!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Also we are 3 pages in and no one has given any love for your another Jazz option,I dont want to be labeled some kind of Ray only player/collector!
Nowt wrong with going fo another Jazz I love them too and I even work for a company which employs a Mr Jazz Mann and that is the truth! :)
What jazzes are in the the lineup?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='917973' date='Aug 7 2010, 02:00 PM']Really though how different can a Classic be to my EB? Mine is in need of a setup which I think will make more of a difference when its done on tuesday.

[url="http://imageevent.com/nicksguitars/stingray1993tealblue;jsessionid=cyjm8rp5y2.zebra_s"]http://imageevent.com/nicksguitars/stingra...m8rp5y2.zebra_s[/url]

What about this? 2 band,mutes and well known as great age for necks half the price of a Classic![/quote]

Nice, and agreed!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='917979' date='Aug 7 2010, 02:08 PM']Also we are 3 pages in and no one has given any love for your another Jazz option,I dont want to be labeled some kind of Ray only player/collector!
Nowt wrong with going fo another Jazz I love them too and I even work for a company which employs a Mr Jazz Mann and that is the truth! :)
What jazzes are in the the lineup?[/quote]

Would be yet another American Standard (3TS, Rosewood, Tort) 2010 (new), or a CIJ/MIJ Jazz as long as its in excellent condition.

I did look into the Road Worn Jazz, but Ive had second thoughts.

The lineup now runs at:

2010 3EQ Ray 4 H
2010 2EQ Ray 4 H
2010 American Standard Jazz
Pre-owned MIJ/CIJ Jazz

Possibly second hand Ray if they are the colour Im after.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='918228' date='Aug 7 2010, 06:42 PM']yeah nothing wrong with Jazzes. I like a good Jazz with 70s postion pups, phat alnico and nice low action. I just wish fender had a better active sound.

G, I may be tempted to let go of my Jaguar with fender custom shop 60s for a nice price?[/quote]

Fender are much better when it comes to plain old passive and ive learnt that when I bought a Fender P Deluxe some years back then sold it on.

Thanks for the offer, but I think at the moment im still sticking only with a Ray or Jazz. Cheers anyway.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='918254' date='Aug 7 2010, 07:03 PM']Fender are much better when it comes to plain old passive and ive learnt that when I bought a Fender P Deluxe some years back then sold it on.

Thanks for the offer, but I think at the moment im still sticking only with a Ray or Jazz. Cheers anyway.[/quote]

Indeed, I'm still looking for the right P-bass for me.

im pretty satisfied with my jag for a good jazz bass tone. Although ts got a load of switches and a naff preamp it does the standard jazz bass tone very well.

How are you with Rics?

You could make a cheapish modded jazz like mine or similar with whatever bits you like just to let off some gas? Mine cost me about £400 all in and Id be happy to try it up against any jazz. It was Squier standard jazz with the frets dressed in on the edges where they were sharp,Bigger tuning pegs instead of the weedy ones,Bartolini pups,EBS pre amp,Jack drilled in the body to allow the extra knob on the control plate through the existing hole,Badass II bridge topped off with a 3 ply black Fender scratch plate.Its candy apple which Im not sure about so that might get relicked or painted or maybe even a body swap at a later date who knows,Thats the beuty of it,you can let some gas off by swapping a few bits around which is cheaper than the whole thing. :)