Why become a member? ×

"If you think the sound of the bass is more important

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='904798' date='Jul 25 2010, 03:37 PM'].. then you've missed the point of music completely."

[i]Scott Thunes - October 1996[/i][/quote]

Yeah well.....
1 he retired from music totally dischuffed and
2 he sounded like this:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='905043' date='Jul 25 2010, 06:29 PM']Thanks for posting that OG.
Awesome to the max, like, totally.[/quote]

Fixed that for you.. :)

It's a desert island* disk for me.

* Where the Ice Cream runs free

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='905155' date='Jul 25 2010, 08:01 PM']Go on then I'll bite.

What [i]is [/i]the point of music?[/quote]
i don't think that question can ever be answered properly! but here goes. There is no point. Just like everything else in life. Its all pointless and illusory and will eventually be forgotten. To quote the great philosopher Eddie Hitler " you're born, you keep your head down, watch a bit of telly, then die.....if you're lucky"

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='905150' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:57 PM']I must be too young to understand the appeal of that sound.

It sounds to me as if he is playing a different song to everyone else while trying to play every note possible.

That's just me.[/quote]

It's Zappa. Everybody is playing a different song from everybody else. :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='905329' date='Jul 25 2010, 10:53 PM']I'm sorry but I don't understand the quote at all...

Can someone explain it for me?[/quote]

a little bit more context:

[url="http://www.united-mutations.com/t/scott_thunes.htm"]http://www.united-mutations.com/t/scott_thunes.htm[/url]

[quote]What does it matter if you're a bass player? Pick another instrument you can express yourself on. I express myself on the bass because I've been playing it for 25 years. Visualizing its fingerboard is simple for me. It's simpler than the guitar, which has that third between the G and B strings that throws me off. The joy of playing the bass is having my voice come out on an instrument; I don't understand how that makes me a bass player. I also can't understand how that makes me a chosen role model, because it's the voice that's important, not the instrument.[/quote]

I liked this from another interview here:

[url="http://www.planetzappa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=32"]http://www.planetzappa.com/index.php?optio...3&Itemid=32[/url]

[quote]John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin taught me to mix melody and solid bass playing. Chris Squire taught me that good/interesting tone can take many forms. Jaco taught me that it's ok to play too many notes. Jean Jacques Burnel taught me that it's better to play rough and be true to yourself, and not try to play to please the masses. The Fender P-Bass can take care of many faults, and amplify others. Stanley Clarke taught me that it's not ok to play too many notes. Graham Maby taught me that you can be a nice guy and still be a great bass player.[/quote]

The bit about Stanley made me laugh :)

JoeGarcia often points out that whatever I plug into, I can get a sound that he really hates. I took this as a great compliment, that I have a sound that comes from my fingers, not from tech, and it has the ability to provoke an emotional response in people. Which is most of the point of music.

At first I thought he meant singing voice, but now I'm not too sure. But after reading more of the link, now I think he means the voice that you produce with the bass via your fingers. Like Mr Foxen says above.

If if is singing voice, then he obviously hasn't heard me sing! :)

I think I get it now.

I which case I also think that he's wrong. For me the sound of the bass (or whatever instrument I am playing) is intrinsically linked to my own personal voice but both are subservient to the needs of the piece of music I am playing at the time.

All I'll say is that Scott Thunes is awesome,and that interview with him was one of,if not the,best articles that Bass Player has done. The full version in the book 'In Cold Sweat. Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' is even better.

I'm off to listen to 'Make a Jazz Noise Here' and 'The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life'.

[quote name='Doddy' post='905558' date='Jul 26 2010, 10:55 AM'][b]All I'll say is that Scott Thunes is awesome,and that interview with him was one of,if not the,best articles that Bass Player has done. The full version in the book 'In Cold Sweat. Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' is even better. [/b]

I'm off to listen to 'Make a Jazz Noise Here' and 'The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life'.[/quote]
Nice one Doddy.

Other than the Zappa interviews and books I've read, it's the only interview with a mucisian that makes sense to me, and it has taught me so much about what it is to be a musician. Scott Thunes speaks his personal truth in such an open manner and with such disregard for others' opinion about him, that it causes you to examine yourself very deeply, not just musically either. The interview in 'In Cold Sweat. Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' is half the book, and absolutely fascinating.

[quote name='Doddy' post='905558' date='Jul 26 2010, 10:55 AM'][b]All I'll say is that Scott Thunes is awesome,and that interview with him was one of,if not the,best articles that Bass Player has done. The full version in the book 'In Cold Sweat. Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' is even better. [/b]

I'm off to listen to 'Make a Jazz Noise Here' and 'The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life'.[/quote]
Nice one Doddy.

Other than the Zappa interviews and books I've read, it's the only interview with a mucisian that makes sense to me, and it has taught me so much about what it is to be a musician. Scott Thunes speaks his personal truth in such an open manner and with such disregard for others' opinion about him, that it causes you to examine yourself very deeply, not just musically either. The interview in 'In Cold Sweat. Interviews with Really Scary Musicians' is half the book, and absolutely fascinating.