Why become a member? ×

So, what smaller/lighter cabs can do the same as a Mesa 1516EV?

Beedster

If you have one, I'm sure you can understand why I'm asking! I love the sound, and love the fact that with its 15", 10", 2x6" drivers and a tweeter it's like a top-end hifi speaker on steroids, but it really is an absolute monster to move around, and scares the hell out of sound guys at the type of venues we play.

Of course, if there's nothing else that'll do the same job, I might just by another and play my hifi through them!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='897544' date='Jul 17 2010, 08:07 PM']If you have one, I'm sure you can understand why I'm asking! I love the sound, and love the fact that with its 15", 10", 2x6" drivers and a tweeter it's like a top-end hifi speaker on steroids, but it really is an absolute monster to move around, and scares the hell out of sound guys at the type of venues we play.

Of course, if there's nothing else that'll do the same job, I might just by another and play my hifi through them!

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

I used to own one of them a few years ago. I sold it and have regretted it ever since.
Still running a Mesa though

[quote name='thebassman' post='897747' date='Jul 18 2010, 02:26 AM']I used to own one of them a few years ago. I sold it and have regretted it ever since.
Still running a Mesa though[/quote]

You're not helping much :)

I wouldn't think you would easily replace that cab at all and you'll have to accept a few compromises not least because you'll want to reduce the size and that will come as a cost.

I'd be thinking about 2 single 12"'s but that is only because I am a big fan of 12" speakers.
If you could carry a 4x10 size of cab, I'd look at DB212 or another 2x12. maybe Eden, etc...or singles for the bestter space-save.
You'll need a horn in there but that sort of config should produces great low end with a spikey top.

I use mine with a SWR amp and start with a bit of a vintage vibey sound..but when the basses are strung with new type strings, the sound really bites.

Depends what you want to play.. and how you play it, but I am getting my best sounds ever. Most of that is down to the basses, I think but also in no small part from the cabs.
They will not likely fill a large stage as well, but we are talking about downscaling anyway and don't need them to...I assume.

Hey Chris

What is it that's so special about the sound? Are you getting more articulation from the smaller drivers, or is it just the totality of such a huge and complex cab?

I guess the easiest route is to get two cabs that sum up to a similar driver configuration, with a "top" cab that uses 8s or 6s as their main drivers?

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

I have been bowled over by the clarity and punch of my Bergantino HT112/EX112 combination. I doubt if it will fo the low end as well as you Mesa although playing 4 stringers that has never bothered me as the cabs go down to 40hz easily. Also, they are so easy to cart around. For clarity of sound these Bergs are hard to beat so you ought to at least try them.

Edited by alanbass1

I've also become a big fan of 12" speakers. They seem to have a much better defined sound than previous 15's & 10's. I can't recommend my Genz Benz 12's highly enough. The others I loved the sound of were Higgie's Aguilar 12's. Serious cabinets, those.

Hey Chris, did you end up P-Retro-ing the '64?

Rich.

Well, getting into what cab is going to suit will be the real test...and will be down to you and how you perceive the sound

I use 2 GS112's and I get great low-end, and a really nice cut up top, IMHO, but I have to give the cabs a chance with a decent signal chain. If the strings are dull then I need to go searching for what I am looking for with EQ..and then that is only a fudge with varying results. This is what will determine the string change as I find it easier to roll off stuff than pile it on..
Besides, I don't want to be messing around with EQ much at all..
I normally plug in, set the volume, and will centre the bass control on the gtr...I make sure both pups and volume are wide open.

You are welcome to try my rig, but it depends on what you want/expect and run it with.

It works great for me, if I do say so myself...but it took a while.

Thanks for the above guys

To be honest, whilst my two Mesa 12"s are perfect for a Precision, it's with the EUB that the 1516 really comes into its own, it just adds so much life to the tone, and with a decent scoop, I can get a sound not all that far away from my upright, something I certainly can't do with the 2x12"s. There is, as suggested above, so m uch more articulation and presence. I know a lot of guys play through Phil Jones and similar to get this effects, but there's something about the amount of air being moved by the Mesa as well that no amount of Phil Jones cabs will replicate. I guess the real question is whether there a combination of cabs that will do what the 1516 does? I don't want to downsize as such, but I would like to be able to move around the same amount of speakers with a little less risk to myself, my car and my bandmates.

I've been looking at that Matamp 4x6 and wondering whether I could pair that with a similar 15", but would I miss the 10"?

Chris

PS not yet Rich, I decided to put together a bitsa Precision with a lovely body the Bass Doc built for me. When push came to shove, I couldn't take a soldering iron to the 46 year old joints!

perhaps a barefaced vintageT Chris?

Super high end 15s which give you a lovely presence and articulation matched with a nice tweeter to round the top end off (or not, technically speaking!)

In fact, it sounds like the big one might even be for you. Alex does a nice little return policy so you could try before you buy...

I have BareFaced Vintage and recommend it highly. But if you wanted some less-than-15 in the mix, how about the BareFaced Big One? A 15 and a 6.5 in one lightweight package. [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='897834' date='Jul 18 2010, 10:13 AM']I have BareFaced Vintage and recommend it highly. But if you wanted some less-than-15 in the mix, how about the BareFaced Big One? A 15 and a 6.5 in one lightweight package. [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/big-one.htm[/url][/quote]
I can lift the Big One with one hand. Not sure if I could carry it any distance like this but with two hands it's an easy lift. It does come with wheels that engage on tilting the cab backwards. Simple and it works. The mid range driver goes high enough for me to be completely happy with running a complex FX unit capable of squirting out some high (and very low) frequencies. Immense and articulate sound. Damp the strings and the sound stops - no overhang or tailoff boom. Alex seems to have taken cab design back to the fundamentals, building them back up from the ground, and beautifully challenging a lot of widely held assumptions on the way. A talented team at Barefaced.

The problem with Boogie cabs is that no matter how good they sound, and that's very, very good, they are always too heavy. I changed my sound completely when I moved from Boogie to Bergantino and I don't miss the old sound at all. I would have a listen to either Bergantino or a Compact or the Super 12 cabs from Alex.

If you really have to have Boogie then I'd start with one of the older 115 cabs, with the EV speaker, and then take it from there.

[quote name='Beedster' post='897761' date='Jul 18 2010, 07:55 AM']You're not helping much :)[/quote]

Sorry mate, I just remember how awesome these cabs are.
I now use a Mesa m6 combo that has 2x12 with a horn, this does sound pretty cool also. There is just something about Mesa cabs, must be the extra volume of the housing.

[quote name='cetera' post='898760' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:39 AM']Sorry mate... nothing is gonna sound like your 1516.
Awesome cab.... shouldn't have sold mine really. Still got my Mesa 2x15 though :)[/quote]

LOL, I'm glad you did sell 'cos my one is your old one!

Many thanks for the thoughts above folks. Much as I appreciate comments re some of the good quality standard units available, my problem is that I've owned enough top end 15s, 12s and 10s, with and without horns and tweeters, and have used these in enough combinations, to be surprised if anything in those formats does get close to the 1516. In asking the initial question above, I was asking whether there is another bass cab with this (or similar) combination of drivers, that might weight less than 60kgs? In short, something that looks like a giant hi-fi speaker!

Problem now is that Chez Beedster the 1516 is acquiring the same sort of aura as a Pre-CBS Precision, so I'm starting to think that, like a Pre-CBS, I might have to love it as it is and not try to change things! Our singer suggested I cut it in half, which, given its construction, really isn't all that bad an idea. The other option of course is getting a custom 1x10/2x6 built to sit on top of a standard 15?

Any thoughts?

C

If it were that easy I thought MB would have done this. This thing that give this cab the sheer oomph is the volume of the cab, I'd have though and there isn't much of a way round this..

Same dims, 2 cabs...??? not sure...!!!

Bollockings cabs, I always thought..but just too big.
Fine, or perfect if someone else is rigging it.. :) :rolleyes:

I think it would be quite a risk or leap of faith to commision an alternative.. or 2 cabs, same spec etc..and not so cheap..!!

[quote name='Beedster' post='898773' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:50 AM']LOL, I'm glad you did sell 'cos my one is your old one!

Many thanks for the thoughts above folks. Much as I appreciate comments re some of the good quality standard units available, my problem is that I've owned enough top end 15s, 12s and 10s, with and without horns and tweeters, and have used these in enough combinations, to be surprised if anything in those formats does get close to the 1516. In asking the initial question above, I was asking whether there is another bass cab with this (or similar) combination of drivers, that might weight less than 60kgs? In short, something that looks like a giant hi-fi speaker!

Problem now is that Chez Beedster the 1516 is acquiring the same sort of aura as a Pre-CBS Precision, so I'm starting to think that, like a Pre-CBS, I might have to love it as it is and not try to change things! Our singer suggested I cut it in half, which, given its construction, really isn't all that bad an idea. The other option of course is getting a custom 1x10/2x6 built to sit on top of a standard 15?

Any thoughts?

C[/quote]

Oh, and it is f*****g ugly as well, this really is the pits of bass cab aesthetics! The contrast between beautiful upright bass and this is obscene! I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

[quote name='JTUK' post='898791' date='Jul 19 2010, 12:01 PM']If it were that easy I thought MB would have done this. This thing that give this cab the sheer oomph is the volume of the cab, I'd have though and there isn't much of a way round this..

Same dims, 2 cabs...??? not sure...!!!

Bollockings cabs, I always thought..but just too big.
Fine, or perfect if someone else is rigging it.. :) :rolleyes:

I think it would be quite a risk or leap of faith to commision an alternative.. or 2 cabs, same spec etc..and not so cheap..!![/quote]

Ain't that the truth mate. I think I'm just gonna have to live with it!

Ummm...you won't like this...but learn to love the DI. Big heavy cabs are big heavy cabs, and if you are not playing big stages with plenty of helping hands (and backs) they will always be a problem. I still think my old SWR set up sounds fantastic, but I only use it a couple of times a year - most of my work is "stealth gigging" where I have to be in and out quick and easy, and there is little room for big black boxes and no need for that sort of volume...and probably no stage. I use your old Bag End cab a lot :)

Keep the big Mesa cab..and enjoy it where it fits.

The Barefaced approach is the best I've seen so far, and given your comments I'd try out the 2x12 - its probably much more detailed than the Mesa 12s, would give a you a "big" sound but also be very managable and a bit smaller. And the grill cloth looks a bit retro....

Good luck

I know..I know! But I learned to love the DI and it made it lot easier for me to leave the big boxes at home, particularly playing EUB. The bigger sound of upright bass really freaks some engineers, (even without a body to feedback) so give 'em a less threatening amp/cab and a DI they recognise and they usually respond much better. Makes for a happier gig - honestly.

I have no problem letting someone else supply/transport the pa..for the record. Doesn't worry me one little bit.

[quote name='Beedster' post='898773' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:50 AM']LOL, I'm glad you did sell 'cos my one is your old one![/quote]

Ah! That explains it then! lol! :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='898773' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:50 AM']Our singer suggested I cut it in half, which, given its construction, really isn't all that bad an idea.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Aaaah!!! Don't do that! Sell it back to me rather than doing anything that drastic! :rolleyes:

[quote name='jonthebass' post='898953' date='Jul 19 2010, 02:03 PM']My 2p worth would suggest a Barefaced Compact & Midget T stack. Modular, Light and powerful with a great frequency response...[/quote]

I would agree.

But I'm afraid of becoming the BBBBB; Basschat Barefaced Bass Boring B****rd. :)

Frank