Why become a member? ×

Chorus pedal advice please.

mattbass6

I don't know if anyone can help but I am looking to get a chorus pedal and am just flabbergasted by the amount that are available. Can anyone suggest the best pedals to look at? My budget is between £60.00 and £120.00. Any advice on what is the best and why and what makes them better or worse than any other pedal, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

[quote name='sk8' post='894654' date='Jul 14 2010, 01:04 PM']what sound you after? Features? etc etc[/quote]

I'm looking to thicken the sound a little and give it that sort of Kings X feel but not as much. I am already using a Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe, which is the best thing I have ever used, but I want some thing a little extra. As far as features, something that is simple to use as I don't really intend to mess about with the sound once I have what I'm after. If any of that makes any sense at all, I'll be amazed but it's hard to describe until I hear it too :) Thank you.

Danelectro 18V CoolCat - Pick one up for around £40

Analogman chorus - I sold one for around £130 so could be in your price range IF you can find one. Best thing out there but thats my opinion.

I'm afraid they are both second hand prices and only realy available secondhand. All the other chorus's I like are rather above the price range, but alot can be had second hand. For the price the Danelectro is best thing going on value and tone!

All IMO :)

Boss CEB-3: £75, well-known and used, warm, rounded and gentle
EBS chorus - £120? Not tried personally (too dear) but highly rated
EHX: Small clone: classic nirvana chorus sound - £55
Digitech bass multi: £50 - £75 - digital, a bit metallic sounding but very deep powerful effects.
A few others - boutique, expensive, well loved

[quote name='bartelby' post='894955' date='Jul 14 2010, 07:02 PM']My Trace Elliot Quad Chorus needs replacing, as it sounds like a police siren when it's off.
I'm currently thinking about getting a Digitech Bass Multi Chorus, they're pretty cheap but sound really nice.[/quote]

I tried the Digitech pedal and really loved it but it was that then started my quest for the chorus pedal. Thanks for the help and by the way, is that a Steve Harris bass in your picture? I have to have one :)

[quote name='Sugden' post='895012' date='Jul 14 2010, 07:58 PM']Danelectro 18V CoolCat - Pick one up for around £40

Analogman chorus - I sold one for around £130 so could be in your price range IF you can find one. Best thing out there but thats my opinion.

I'm afraid they are both second hand prices and only realy available secondhand. All the other chorus's I like are rather above the price range, but alot can be had second hand. For the price the Danelectro is best thing going on value and tone!

All IMO :)[/quote]

I have heard of the Danelctro pedal but not the Analogman one. I will go and check that out ASAP. Thank you so much :rolleyes:

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='895077' date='Jul 14 2010, 08:59 PM']Boss CEB-3: £75, well-known and used, warm, rounded and gentle
EBS chorus - £120? Not tried personally (too dear) but highly rated
EHX: Small clone: classic nirvana chorus sound - £55
Digitech bass multi: £50 - £75 - digital, a bit metallic sounding but very deep powerful effects.
A few others - boutique, expensive, well loved[/quote]

I really appreciate the information and hadn't looked at the EBS range, which I shall now do :) With regards Boss, are they any good? I know Boss is a tried an tested name, but for some reason I have heard not very good reports about them though of course, I am open to trying anything if the recommendation is high enough :rolleyes: Thank you for your help.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='895265' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:44 AM']Boss CEB3 - can get pretty subtle, easy to find s/h on here less than £50
my fave - MXR Black Label Chorus - all analogue, as thick as you want it, and around £79 new.[/quote]

I love MXR stuff and will definitely go and check that one out. Thanks so much for the help :)

BOSS CEB-3 just wasn't deep enough for what I was after, but they have to be one of the most popular, widely used for bassists. The Digitech sounds more synthetic/metallic but goes so much deeper, it works fine in our current set. If you want a gentle round warm chorus for fretless, the Boss is great.

I've only used the Boss CEB-3 and the Analogman. The Boss was metallic sounding to my ears, I didn't really care for it much. The Analogman was lovely and more natural sounding - but I'm not that familiar with Kings-x so I can't say if it's the sound your after.

For anyone after an Analogman Chorus there are a couple on eBay at the mo. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Analogman-Mini-Chorus-Pedal-/230498907687?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35aace3627"]Here[/url] & [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Analogman-Analog-Chorus-Effect-Pedal-/220635770079?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item335eeaacdf"]here[/url].

Thank you everyone, you have really given me some food for thought. I think the next step is a little trip to London and go and try as many of these pedals as possible. You have all been brilliant. Wish me luck and take care.

Cheers,

Matt :)

hey matt,

just to add another option, i have a george dennis chorus/flanger for sale. nicest chorus i've tried, i just don't ever use it!
(plus my boiler packed in last month so skint!!) - some piccies here, going for £55, very nice pedal..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75763&hl=gazwills"]George Dennis Chorus Pedal[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,
Just bought an EBS Unichorus - Awesome - Very subtle but quality. Built like a brick. [url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-effects/ebs-multi-comp.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/bass-effects/ebs-multi-comp.html[/url] - £147, well worth the extra £27 if you can stretch to it. Used a Boss before but too noisy.

I picked up an EBS Unichorus through our very own BC. Much prefer it to the Boss CEB-3 I was using before (I'd tend to agree with the comments about that sounding a bit metallic by comparison). If you can pick up a Boss CE-2 though, do. Not bass specific and only have depth and speed controls but much 'nicer' sounding - deeper and warmer - than the CEB-3 to my ears.