Why become a member? ×

Is a bass more aesthetically pleasing than a guitar?

Marvin

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1332093427' post='1583124']

Must admit I've got a thing for my friend's old ES-335 at the moment!

I think there are too many good/bad examples of each to decide if guitars or basses look better :)
[/quote]

But look how much body is behind the bridge. What's it actually [i]doing[/i]? It's just being there- along for the ride.
I agree with whoever said about it being a headstock thing - guitar headstocks often seem too big for their bodies.

Finally, some instruments make more ergonomic/aesthetic "sense" when they're being played by a certain person who is well acquainted with the instrument.
I look utterly stupid wearing a guitar. It's too small (although I'm only of average height/build) Looks good on a guitarist, though.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332094559' post='1583160']
But look how much body is behind the bridge. What's it actually [i]doing[/i]? It's just being there- along for the ride.

[/quote]

It's a sound board - the vibration of the string is travels through the bridge and makes it vibrate on the same frequency. Because it has a larger surface area it moves more air, which is why you get a louder acoustic sound and that specific semi-hollowbody sound from the pick-ups :)

Either way, I reckon aesthetically it looks very cool!

I've always preferred the look of basses because the long neck looks so elegant and strong at the same time.

Years ago I read somewhere that a guitar (or bass) is a double phallic symbol because of the curvaceous body and the long neck. So this is apparently why people of both sexes find them so sexy and audiences get so excited. I haven't got time to source the references right now, but it was really interesting. I'll have to look it up again when I get time.

I think basses look far nicer. There are some beautiful guitars too, some I'd take over certain basses any day, but mostly basses win it for me.

Edit: And bass players too, actually. There are plenty of attractive guitar players, but then there's more of them. Give them a bass and they instantly become more attractive.

Edited by Icarus_147

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1332182732' post='1584490']
...So this is apparently why people of both sexes find them so sexy and audiences get so excited...
[/quote]

My theory is that the air in women's wombs is vibrated by the low frequencies of the kick and bass at gigs (and wobbles their tumblers a bit, too) making them go all funny. Why else would they throw themselves at me in the dressing room afterwards?? :lol:

Guitars are gay anyway, and only a gaylord would want to play one. :lol: ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332244461' post='1585353']
My theory is that the air in women's wombs are vibrated by the low frequencies of the kick and bass at gigs (and wobbles their tumblers a bit, too) making them go all funny. Why else would they throw themselves at me in the dressing room afterwards?? :lol:

:lol: ;)
[/quote]

You know what, I think that pretty much sums it up. Many's the time I've gone a bit unnecessary at a gig :lol:
Although I don't usually throw myself at musicians in dressing rooms. I just go outside and have dose of smelling salts to calm me down. And sometimes I have to loosen my stays a bit.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1332105746' post='1583445']
It's a sound board - the vibration of the string is travels through the bridge and makes it vibrate on the same frequency. Because it has a larger surface area it moves more air, which is why you get a louder acoustic sound and that specific semi-hollowbody sound from the pick-ups :)

Either way, I reckon aesthetically it looks very cool!
[/quote]

Off to guitarchat for you, then!