Why become a member? ×

Where's all the big/heavy stuff gonna end up?

JMT3781

I think we all can agree that the lightweight thing has definitely taken off..

If you scour the for sale section here, Heavier stuff always sticks around, and suffers some of the most intense price reductions. Also, lots of music shops seem to be stuck with a pile of dust heavy stuff.. in the shop i work in we now have so much heavy bass gearweve got no room to get some lightweight stuff into stock!

So my question is.. where is all this heavy gear gonna end up?

Surely there isn't enough rehearsal rooms in the country to contain it all?

it'll all end up being a bassists 1st rig. instead of the usual of starting off with a low powered combo for a 1st rig and moving up to more powerful ones as has been the case in the past. Now you can pick up a 600w+ big rig for starter money, then instead of moving up in power, a player will move up in terms of quality and weight (lack of)

[quote name='BassBod' post='875372' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:31 PM']The House of Bass...Stokes Croft, Bristol. Give it a year or two..and its all going to be in one huge stack, heavy enough to become a black hole. You wait.[/quote]

lol

Peavey rig causes armageddon

[quote name='BassBod' post='875372' date='Jun 23 2010, 01:31 PM']The House of Bass...Stokes Croft, Bristol. Give it a year or two..and its all going to be in one huge stack, heavy enough to become a black hole. You wait.[/quote]

Totally came to this thread to post this. It will be the event that proves the statement 'mixing driver sizes is bad' correct. We have 18s, 12s and 10s. Oddly no 15s right now though. Reality is definitely warping in the area though, it is probably why Joe is so confused.

When everyone finally realises that bijou 2x8" speakers just don't reproduce the full bass grunt and shake your booty enough, everyone will be back to buying 8x10 & 2x15's like it's a whole new idea.... :rolleyes:

It's all cyclical... :)

[quote name='JMT3781' post='875461' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:40 PM']So i suppose those that can deal with the weight are gonna be prone to many a GAS attack in the coming months?[/quote]

Which is why i now own an Eden Metro and 2x15 cab, and almost bought another 2x15 on ebay, and really want the 2x12 and 4x10 on here. Even though the Metro on it's own has more than enough grunt!..

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='875452' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:30 PM']No-one will be able to shift big heavy speakers. The value will plummet. People will realise there is a sound difference between heavy and light. The heavy sound will become retro and cool. Price will skyrocket.[/quote]

So hanging onto your heavyweight gear is actually a form of investment! :)

[quote name='cetera' post='875459' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:36 PM']When everyone finally realises that bijou 2x8" speakers just don't reproduce the full bass grunt and shake your booty enough, everyone will be back to buying 8x10 & 2x15's like it's a whole new idea.... :rolleyes:

It's all cyclical... :)[/quote]

I think I agree with this.

It will all come back around again. I remember when Fender basses seemed a little less in the limelight, and it was all about more modern dare I say it 'metal' instruments (obviously not everywhere!).

Retro/old school is cool, and popular once again.

I think we will all get sick of small light cabinets, and I dont think for one second neo will completely overtake ceramic....ever.

A 2x10 is small enough for me. I still want a Berg NV412 but Id never get to use it very often.

Ive tried a variety of neo cabinets, and they are great, but I still hear something different. Perhaps I like cabinets thats add a little 'colour'.

I realised takijng the speakers out of an 8x10 makes a very hadny repository for socks and suchlike, possibly teatowels, tailor each 8x10 storage cabinet to the particular room it occupies. A new form of living: House of Bass living.

Anyone want 8 Celestion 10" drivers, 8ohm each?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='875476' date='Jun 23 2010, 02:52 PM']I realised takijng the speakers out of an 8x10 makes a very hadny repository for socks and suchlike, possibly teatowels, tailor each 8x10 storage cabinet to the particular room it occupies. A new form of living: House of Bass living.

Anyone want 8 Celestion 10" drivers, 8ohm each?[/quote]

I'll give you 20OHM for 3

It'll be like when valve amps were overtaken by solid state. Everyone wanted the latest transistor stuff that was coming out - except Vox cos that used to melt.

As soon as there were only a handful of companies making valve stuff, everyone suddenly wanted it and so now you have modern companies such as Markbass and other companies coming from the ashes like Matamp all vying for this latest boost in valve popularity.

There may become a time down the line where everything is digital and using lightweight neo speakers - suddenly people will start making a beeline for the older stuff simply cos you can't get it any more and remember when they used it when all of this was just fields. In which case, Thornybank has his retirement fund ticking over until then.

I like big, solid cabs. I tried lightweight and found it guilty. I like my heavy (by today's standards) Gallien Krueger 700RB II and my heavy Trace 2x15".

I find if I really cant get cabinets to a gig due to space/time etc then I check if backline cabs are provided and if they are ill just take an amp head.

Failing that, just take the Sansamp/Tone Hammer.

Lets face it, if you are carting about ANY 4x10, its STILL a 4x10. If its built with casters, and you have help for certain areas, you are absolutely fine no matter what weight.

I can understand acoustic/double bass/quiet gigging types needs though. No point in taking a heavy cabinet when its just not necessary....but then again the difference between a neo 1x12 and a ceramic 1x12 are just not worth worrying about.

I emailed Bergantino about 6 months ago, and Jim said that despite how far neo has come, it STILL won't please all players as it just doesnt 'feel' right or sound right to those players.

I harp on about TC, but the RS cabinets are the closest ive come to loud/modern meets vintage/easy to transport. Im satisfied for sure.

Edited by Musicman20