Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for which Fretless?

Linus27

At some point I am going to get a nicer fretless than my Squire VMJ. The Squire has been brilliant and has serves its purpose of getting into the world of fretless. I am now finding that I am playing more fretless and at some point will buy another one. Top of the list is a CIJ Fender Jazz but I am just wondering if anyone can suggest some alternatives rather than getting another Fender.

Below is a picture of my current basses. As you can see I like more traditional shaped basses rather than odd looking pointing things. Can anyone recommend some nice alternatives to fretless basses but still maintaining the classic look that I like. I already have a Jazz and a Precision, plus a Warwick and a Stingray so any suggestions for something else?

[quote name='ahpook' post='871988' date='Jun 19 2010, 06:36 PM']maybe a warwick ? if your happy with your corvette...?[/quote]

Idealy, my Corvette would be perfect fretless. However, I really don't want to get the same make again. I really want something different to what I aleady have.

Well I'm Biased but what about a Status. The phenolic fingerboard can give a different sound. The link below gives you an idea of what it can sound like. This tune was all played on my Status S2 fretless.

[url="http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2712082"]Maple Leaf Angel[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='872051' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:35 PM']If budget isnt an issue, another EBMM in fretless? I find the tone for a MM sounds great fretless.

Another option, giving you jazz and p offerings plus a quality board would be the Tony Franklin Fretless.[/quote]

I really did not want the same make again so a Stingray is out of the question. Also, is the Tony Franklin a Fender which if so rules that one out.

[quote name='BassBus' post='872046' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:33 PM']Well I'm Biased but what about a Status. The phenolic fingerboard can give a different sound. The link below gives you an idea of what it can sound like. This tune was all played on my Status S2 fretless.

[url="http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2712082"]Maple Leaf Angel[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the clip. Very nice although I do prefer something a little more woody sounding. Still very nice though. I have thought about Status although not totally convinced about the shape. Are they still British made? I also thought about a Yamaha BB614F although not sure if these are good instruments or not.

[quote name='Linus27' post='872083' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:05 PM']Thanks for the clip. Very nice although I do prefer something a little more woody sounding. Still very nice though. I have thought about Status although not totally convinced about the shape. Are they still British made? I also thought about a Yamaha BB614F although not sure if these are good instruments or not.[/quote]

Hi Michael,

Yes, Status are still 100% UK made in Colchester. I keep thinking about another S2, a fretless 5er, but don't have the finance as yet. I'll drop you a pm with another possible suggestion...

Rich.

[quote name='Linus27' post='871989' date='Jun 19 2010, 06:37 PM']I really want something different to what I aleady have.[/quote]
Doing the London Bash on the 27th?

I'll be bringing this along:

Absolutely no intention of getting rid of it, but it might give you ideas.

P.

If you want to go for a CIJ Fender Jazz, I spotted a cracking used one in a local shop in Croydon going for £350. Unsure of the year, looked brand new but assumed it was used at that price. Nice unmarked rosewood board, tort plate and great sunburst finish with no visible lines where they joined the body pieces together (something I hate to see on sunburst models, especially on MIA basses). Had an urge to buy it there and then but resisted!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='872197' date='Jun 19 2010, 09:45 PM']If you want to go for a CIJ Fender Jazz, I spotted a cracking used one in a local shop in Croydon going for £350. Unsure of the year, looked brand new but assumed it was used at that price. Nice unmarked rosewood board, tort plate and great sunburst finish with no visible lines where they joined the body pieces together (something I hate to see on sunburst models, especially on MIA basses). Had an urge to buy it there and then but resisted![/quote]
100% brill post DB :)
W
re reads thread: but you know this stuff

Edited by witterth

[quote name='BassBus' post='872046' date='Jun 19 2010, 07:33 PM']Well I'm Biased but what about a Status. The phenolic fingerboard can give a different sound. The link below gives you an idea of what it can sound like. This tune was all played on my Status S2 fretless.

[url="http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2712082"]Maple Leaf Angel[/url][/quote]

Must. Not. Buy. Fretless. This is such a beautiful tune mate :)

G&L? Hoping to make the London Bash next week & will have my new (from the For Sale section) Green Lined L2500 and it is bl00dy lovely.

As an alternative to a Fender - well almost obviously as Leo was involved, but you know what I mean - you can't beat'em IMO

Track with it on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92290"]HERE[/url]

Used it for the first time in anger at a gig last Friday and was well chuffed with it. Took it to a r/h with my main band a couple of days before and despite it being rock covers I could see it fitting there as well it's just so good and so many options available

Can you tell I have become a G&L devotee :)

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='872348' date='Jun 20 2010, 01:20 AM']Do it, but be warned... it'll take over.[/quote]
Has with me. The old Shergold I had years ago put me off, no real MWAH & a finished maple neck that was difficult. Roll on 15+ years from selling it and I went through the Peavey Foundation 4 as an intro in Feb this year, which was swiftly sold to part fund the G&L which I am now deeply in [url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url] with [url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]

[quote name='faceman' post='872335' date='Jun 20 2010, 12:50 AM']Must. Not. Buy. Fretless. This is such a beautiful tune mate :)[/quote]
Oh, thanks faceman. Go on, buy a fretless. You know you want to. They can just be so expresive.

Wal or Pedulla.....

Oh look, I have one for sale! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92423"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=92423[/url] :)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='873439' date='Jun 21 2010, 01:23 PM']You'll usually not go far wrong with a Fender Jazz fretless. They're a good workhorse and sound great.

I've just picked up a fretless Iceni Zoot Funkmeister with aero pickups, EMG preamp & the most beautiful thin neck you've ever seen. Even has brass inlay lines! Stunning :)[/quote]

I think finding a fretless thats a different manufacture than I already have is proving difficult within my budget. So this leaves the Fender Jazz still top of my list. I do like the tone that the Jazz fretless makes. They also seem more common to have a lined neck. The other bass thats equel top is the Warwick Corvette Buginga but not sure I have ever seen a lined fretless one so probably never going to happen. Another option is a Washburn AB acoustic bass and despite quite common fretless, less so with a lined neck.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='873439' date='Jun 21 2010, 01:23 PM']You'll usually not go far wrong with a Fender Jazz fretless. They're a good workhorse and sound great.

I've just picked up a fretless Iceni Zoot Funkmeister with aero pickups, EMG preamp & the most beautiful thin neck you've ever seen. Even has brass inlay lines! Stunning :)[/quote]

+1

Linus - I wouldn't rule out a Ray fretless tho, if you like a P sized neck. Coupled with a 2eq pre they really sing as a fretless - I for one think they have the edge over the Jazz for sound.