Why become a member? ×

PRS £7000.00!!

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='863771' date='Jun 10 2010, 10:03 PM']:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: & grand!!!!???

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_gary_grainger_private_stock.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_gary_grainger_private_stock.htm[/url][/quote]

It's a Private Stock.

Check this one (guitar) out..

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/86867"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/86867[/url]

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='bubinga5' post='863775' date='Jun 10 2010, 10:08 PM']does that mean it belongs to someone famous, and being sold on behalf[/quote]

No, probably a bank manager.

It's their custom shop basically... Exotic AAAAA grade woods, posh inlays, etc. People buy them because they're expensive.

my word.
what a waste of money, if you were going to invest surely violins would be better? if you were going to by a decent instrument at the top of the range give me £7k and ill sort you out with something similar...

[quote name='RussFM' post='863817' date='Jun 10 2010, 10:53 PM']Looks lovely until you see the back, then it looks half-finished!

Wasn't this one something like £25,000?

[/quote]

At that price, you're straying into Zemaitis territory...

[url="http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vintage-guitars.asp?idproduct=1859"]http://www.maverick-music.com/scripts/vint...?idproduct=1859[/url]

That's an investment piece.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='863780' date='Jun 10 2010, 10:14 PM']No, probably a bank manager.

It's their custom shop basically... Exotic AAAAA grade woods, posh inlays, etc. People buy them because they're expensive.[/quote]

if it is some bank managers, technically we all own it with our taxes Gordon brown used to pay them there over payed salaries and bonuses for making everyones lives that little bit more expensive.

How exactly do we divide this up in to 62 million pieces?

I'd sooner get another PRS 4 like this for instance , these are the real deal.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRS-Curly-Bass-4-vintage-birds-10-top-RARE-1988-/110543124758?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19bce23916"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRS-Curly-Bass-4-vin...=item19bce23916[/url]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='863846' date='Jun 10 2010, 11:20 PM']Translucent teal finish, flamed maple top, gold hardware, it's got pretty much everything a rich middle-aged guitar buyer could wish for.[/quote]

That's exactly it. Funny you never see people actually gigging these.
There's a shop near me which shifted it's focus away from standard instruments and dedicated an entire upper floor to these mid-life crisis guitars. They're doing pretty well so obviously there must be quite a lot of over-paid dads with too much time on their hands where i live.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='863933' date='Jun 11 2010, 01:20 AM']How exactly do we divide this up in to 62 million pieces?[/quote]

Smashy Smashy!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='864020' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:02 AM']That's exactly it. Funny you never see people actually gigging these.
There's a shop near me which shifted it's focus away from standard instruments and dedicated an entire upper floor to [b]these mid-life crisis guitars[/b]. They're doing pretty well so obviously there must be quite a lot of over-paid dads with too much time on their hands where i live.[/quote]
Hmm, what does that say about me? Since I started having what I am assured is [i]my [/i]mid-life crisis, all I've bought (and am considering buying in the not too distant future) are Squiers... :rolleyes:

Maybe I should pay a visit to Fr*ts, if that is indeed the shop of which you speak... :)

Edited by tony_m

[quote name='tony_m' post='864275' date='Jun 11 2010, 12:58 PM']Hmm, what does that say about me? Since I started having what I am assured is [i]my [/i]mid-life crisis, all I've bought (and am considering buying in the not too distant future) are Squiers... :lol:

Maybe I should pay a visit to Fr*ts, if that is indeed the shop of which you speak... :rolleyes:[/quote]

looking at your profile picture maybe you've had something nice to take the edge off your mid-life crisis!? :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='864278' date='Jun 11 2010, 01:00 PM']looking at your profile picture maybe you've had something nice to take the edge off your mid-life crisis!? :)[/quote]
Indeed, but only in moderation of course... :rolleyes:

[quote name='tony_m' post='864275' date='Jun 11 2010, 12:58 PM']Hmm, what does that say about me? Since I started having what I am assured is [i]my [/i]mid-life crisis, all I've bought (and am considering buying in the not too distant future) are Squiers... :rolleyes:

Maybe I should pay a visit to Fr*ts, if that is indeed the shop of which you speak... :)[/quote]

Ah but you're obviously more bothered about having a guitar to play, rather than having something to look at. The only PRS guitars i've seen people actually gigging are the standard ones.

FWIW i totally GAS over Squiers too, it's frighteing that they're so cheap!

Oh and yeah, that is the shop! I asked the owner what they were having upstairs (during the re-fit) and he said "more expensive, bespoke guitars". There's some nice gear in there but the prices are horrific. I got quoted nearly £800 for a Warwick when everywhere else was selling them at £600. A few years ago I also asked the younger fella about a used MIA Jazz they had and was told it was £700, went in for another play the next day and it had jumped £50!

[quote name='RussFM' post='863817' date='Jun 10 2010, 10:53 PM']Looks lovely until you see the back, then it looks half-finished!

Wasn't this one something like £25,000?

[/quote]

Wasnt that made at Manson's guitars, Exeter? Only 10mins away from me.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='864289' date='Jun 11 2010, 01:13 PM']Ah but you're obviously more bothered about having a guitar to play, rather than having something to look at. The only PRS guitars i've seen people actually gigging are the standard ones.

FWIW i totally GAS over Squiers too, it's frighteing that they're so cheap![/quote]
Yep, roll on the VM Jaguar! :)

[quote]Oh and yeah, that is the shop! I asked the owner what they were having upstairs (during the re-fit) and he said "more expensive, bespoke guitars". There's some nice gear in there but the prices are horrific. I got quoted nearly £800 for a Warwick when everywhere else was selling them at £600. A few years ago I also asked the younger fella about a used MIA Jazz they had and was told it was £700, went in for another play the next day and it had jumped £50![/quote]
Apart from getting my gig bags there, must admit I've not had a lot to do with that shop. Somehow I can't see that changing... :rolleyes:

[quote name='tony_m' post='864509' date='Jun 11 2010, 05:33 PM']Apart from getting my gig bags there, must admit I've not had a lot to do with that shop. Somehow I can't see that changing... :)[/quote]

I buy the odd thing there, including my acoustic guitar which was in the clearance sale (so same as online prices!). They have a very good reputation for setups but again are very expensive. I got a quote of well over £100 for a simple pickup and pre installation a few years ago, not including the £60 bench fee! There was a bit of routing for a battery box but that's still a stupid amount

It wasnt going to be long before I had to post was it.

I do honestly truly understand the 'but I can make the same sound for £500' argument.

I can also understand the 'I wouldnt use that in a pub 4 nights a week argument' (I wouldnt use mine for pub gigs, I'd probably use an Ibanez).

However I have to say a few comments on this thread have somwhat vexed me

Why is it a waste of money? Someone could afford to buy it and probably will. If you use that argument Ferrari, Maybach, Rolls-Royce and Bentley would never sell any cars. If you want the very best of everything it costs money.

Because almost everyone cannot afford £7k on an instrument doesnt make it wrong, itjust makes it very very expensive.

A PRS EB IV when on sale in the UK was £2.4k. I would most certainly have not been ableto buy all the lovelies I have if I'd had to pay that amount, but some were sold for that price in the UK.

I'm afraid most of you are missing the point. You have to order PRS Private Stock instruments. They are hand made for you in the custom shop at Stevensville. The customer specifies all aspects of the order. PRS has obtained some of the most exotic woods and finishes available to make Private Stock instruments from, and some of those have been stored and conditioned for years to produce massively stable structures.

The GG 5 string for sale at Thomanns will have been orderd by someone maybe even Thomann to sell. They are not mass produced machine made 'fighting guitars'.

Thomanns can reflect that price in what they are asking for it.

I also resent the midlife crisis bass label that some of you have added to it - would you say the same of a Shuker, a Custom shop (POS IMHO) Fender or a custom shop Warwick......?

There is less than 5 GG basses made a year, that makes it a very exclusive club. A club I will be joining in a couple of years time, not because I want ANY OLD 5 STRING bass, I want a handmade PRS and I am prepared to pay for it. I will be flying over to pick it up too. It will never get played in a pub but will be played and cherished as my others are.

Someone will buy that one and you know what.... You will never see it for sale on here because whoever does buy it will want to keep it.