Why become a member? ×

careful when offering your "opinion"

witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='853595' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:18 PM']Probably right P, but I just didnt. what can I say? Im only human and certainy no saint!!
does no one here ever just get CROSS!! eh? :lol:
or if they do just cant admit to it?
sometimes when youre alone at night with your own thoughts dont you ever just think.....
"if only I could go back to that moment I'd............. (insert here)"
Oh come on, you know you have![/quote]

Good grief the number of times, after the event, that I've thought to myself "damn why did I do that" or "damn why didn't I do that" are too numerous to count. It's always easy in the cold light of day and on a web forum to say "you should have done X" but it's not always so easy when the moment/time is right to do this.

Don't let it get to you witterth. If the guy's opinion is something you want to hear, then go talk to him if you get a chance - say you heard he'd said X & Y and would like an explanation. If he's someone you don't care about, then just try to forget about him, because he ain't worth it (I know, easier said than done sometimes :)).

EDIT: spellcheck :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='witterth' post='853595' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:18 PM']Sometimes when youre alone at night with your own thoughts dont you ever just think... "if only I could go back to that moment I'd ............. (insert here)"

The French call it 'L'esprit de l'escalier' (staircase wit) which is thinking of a clever comeback when it is far too late.
I do it, but of course it's a pointless exercise.

I wouldn't waste too much time or energy worrying about it, tbh. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='853599' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:23 PM']Let's be honest about it,everyone has had negative comments said about them at
some point-it doesn't matter who you are(there are plenty of discussions on here
in that vein).
However,I think you were wrong to blank the guy. I doesn't matter what he said
about you to someone else,to him you came across as a prick by ignoring him when
he spoke to you.You don't have to be confrontational or anything,just a quick 'Alright
mate' would have been enough. He may not have liked your tone,but he might be
a nice enough guy who just wanted to chat with you-by blanking him you come across
as though you are arrogant and with a bad attitude.
I'll always speak to guys and am friendly,even if I don't particularly like them-you never
know,you may get some gigs out if it.[/quote]
Oh sorry, I see how I came across as a "prick" now, its just, I dont remember seeing you there at the time. :)

[quote name='witterth' post='853595' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:18 PM']Probably right P, but I just didnt. what can I say? Im only human and certainly no saint!!
does no one here ever just get CROSS!! eh? :)
sometimes when youre alone at night with your own thoughts dont you ever just think.....
I'm sure plenty of us get CROSS, but about things that are important, not about pissy little things like the experience you have told us about. Just be gracious and keep your dignity. You should have talked to the guy instead of doing your Elton John routine.

[quote name='witterth' post='853595' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:18 PM']Probably right P, but I just didnt. what can I say? Im only human and certainly no saint!!
does no one here ever just get CROSS!! eh? :rolleyes:

Nice bit of humanity there :)

[quote name='witterth' post='853604' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:28 PM']Oh sorry, I see how I came across as a "prick" now, its just, I dont remember seeing you there at the time. :)[/quote]
Remember this?

"Rant over,but KWIM?"

People are telling you they [b]don't[/b] know what you mean.

[quote name='witterth' post='853604' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:28 PM']Oh sorry, I see how I came across as a "prick" now, its just, I dont remember seeing you there at the time. :)[/quote]

It makes no difference if I was there or not,the fact is,if someone speaks to you and you
totally blank them,it's you who looks like the bad guy.

I think this thread should probably now be retitled "I don't deal with criticism very well".

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='853633' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:51 PM']Me neither, I thought it was something quite rude spelt badly.. :rolleyes:[/quote]

MB1. :)
..Quim...Something quite rude... spelt correctly!... KWIM?:lol:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='silddx' post='853610' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:33 PM']I'm sure plenty of us get CROSS, but about things that are important, not about pissy little things like the experience you have told us about. Just be gracious and keep your dignity. You should have talked to the guy instead of doing your Elton John routine.[/quote]
silddix
I thought this was/is just a chat forum for "down the pub type of conversation",please dont patronise/insult me by thinking this story is some thing thats REALLY imporant to me, of course its not.

"pissy little things & Elton John routine" is just being rude.

you have taken what I have posted completley out of context. it was meant to be a bit of a laugh at the way small things just "get" to us at times

Had a sense of humor or empathy bypass operation recently?

"be gratious"? practise what you preach.

I'm sure you may well have really important worries and woes to concern you and find yourself repelled by my trivial scrawlings on the wall. I'm suprised you have the time to read any of this with all the IMPORTANT things you have to do and get cross about.

( I know...I know...."welcome to the internet".... :rolleyes: )

Ill make like Duncan the Dragon

" ahve herd enougff, so fer thaat reason ahm oot"

alright allright I surrender...teenager indeed!! :lol:

in my defense you had to be there I suppose critisim is one thing...vitriolic attack another maybe that wasnt clear enough I suppose. I wish Id kept me gob shut now! :)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='853650' date='Jun 1 2010, 03:00 PM']silddix
I thought this was/is just a chat forum for "down the pub type of conversation",please dont patronise/insult me by thinking this story is some thing thats REALLY imporant to me, of course its not.

"pissy little things & Elton John routine" is just being rude.

you have taken what I have posted completley out of context. it was meant to be a bit of a laugh at the way small things just "get" to us at times

Had a sense of humor or empathy bypass operation recently?

"be gratious"? practise what you preach.

I'm sure you may well have really important worries and woes to concern you and find yourself repelled by my trivial scrawlings on the wall. I'm suprised you have the time to read any of this with all the IMPORTANT things you have to do and get cross about.

( I know...I know...."welcome to the internet".... :rolleyes: )

Ill make like Duncan the Dragon

" ahve herd enougff, so fer thaat reason ahm oot"

alright allright I surrender...teenager indeed!! :lol:

in my defense you had to be there I suppose critisim is one thing...vitriolic attack another maybe that wasnt clear enough I suppose. I wish Id kept me gob shut now! :)[/quote]
YOU brought all this up, mate. We are telling you what we think of your actions at the time and how you still feel about it now. Put a disclaimer in your post if you only want comment from those who agree with you and your actions.

Life's too short for bearing grudges, especially for people who diss your tone and gear a little bit. It's not like he tortured your pet gerbil to death is it.

If I've taken this out of context, I apologise, but you had a proper rant about a tiny little thing that happened years ago. How do you expect people to react? "Har har, what a happy life you must have had since!"?

All the best,
Nigel

[quote name='silddx' post='853667' date='Jun 1 2010, 03:21 PM']YOU brought all this up, mate. We are telling you what we think of your actions at the time and how you still feel about it now. Put a disclaimer in your post if you only want comment from those who agree with you and your actions.

Life's too short for bearing grudges, especially for people who diss your tone and gear a little bit. It's not like he tortured your pet gerbil to death is it.

If I've taken this out of context, I apologise, but you had a proper rant about a tiny little thing that happened years ago. How do you expect people to react? "Har har, what a happy life you must have had since!"?

All the best,
Nigel[/quote]
Yeah, fair enough Nigel,Ive "got on one" here havent I? and for that I should say sorry too!
Ive got too much time on my hands, but its for one week only :rolleyes:

That bastar#d did kill my gerbil though, how did you know about that? :lol:
all the best back at ya!
John
love the mini "kwim" thread in this !! :)

[quote name='witterth' post='853673' date='Jun 1 2010, 03:31 PM']Yeah, fair enough Nigel,Ive "got on one" here havent I? and for that I should say sorry too!
Ive got too much time on my hands, but its for one week only :lol:

That bastar#d did kill my gerbil though, how did you know about that? :lol:
all the best back at ya!
John
love the mini "kwim" thread in this !! :)[/quote]
A virtual pint is on its way mate :rolleyes:

Cheers!

[quote name='silddx' post='853696' date='Jun 1 2010, 03:46 PM']A virtual pint is on its way mate :)

Cheers![/quote]
I do so hate it when we fight Darling,err ah hummph oh err, yeah that pint! err... see the England game?....Great game....etc...etc...
:rolleyes:

[quote name='Johngh' post='853486' date='Jun 1 2010, 12:22 PM']I can't abide people who think that their opinion is gospel and go mad if other disagree with it.[/quote]
This, x 100,000,000.

I'm very wary with what I say to beginners than I am those who are more advanced, I don't want to put them down or hurt their feelings. I can only offer my advice to them.

I do know that I know more than an average person I meet at gigs but it's always nice to meet someone I can really talk about 'tone' to. I also realise that when it comes to the sciency stuff there are those who know alot more than me, so I tend to keep stum.

If what this guy said is true, he was merely trying to enflate his own ego and picked on you to make himself feel better about his own insecurities.

I know what I like and I recognise how I fit in with the rest of the band, if another bassist doesn't like it then so what? They don't play in my band I do.

I only value opinions that are critical when they are constructive. Anybody can just be negative. Tone and gear is all subjective, some like some brands, others like different makes. Most musicians are pretty cool in my experience but there are a few who should maybe spend a bit more time concentrating on themselves as opposed to worrying about what others are doing.

If somebody acts an idiot around me I tend to be polite but distant. Life is too short.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='853813' date='Jun 1 2010, 05:07 PM']I only value opinions that are critical when they are constructive. Anybody can just be negative. Tone and gear is all subjective, some like some brands, others like different makes. Most musicians are pretty cool in my experience but there are a few who should maybe spend a bit more time concentrating on themselves as opposed to worrying about what others are doing.

If somebody acts an idiot around me I tend to be polite but distant. Life is too short.[/quote]
Thats pretty much what I meant but put in a more eloquent and precise way!
Thanks B!

after all its me that had the gig that night not the detractor,I suppose.

Thing is, its not ok to simply "slag" someone off for no other reason than to get the opportunity to say how great you are yourself and that (really) is what happened to me.
and yes I SHOULD have been a little more adult about it. Id guess many of us here will have experienced that feeling ,I just thought Id get a sympathetic ear here is all :lol:
sorry if Ive come across as a petulant child!
onwards and upwards
Love
W
(teenager?...how dare you! you're only 21 yourself :) - yes- you know who you are!! :rolleyes: :lol: )

[quote name='renniks' post='853898' date='Jun 1 2010, 06:07 PM']21 years young indeed ^_^

Apologies, I think it was just the explanation of what you did rather than what you felt that made it seem a bit like a petulant child :lol:

Granted he was in the wrong to be a bit of an arse :rolleyes:[/quote]
Thanks, and good luck mate :lol:
sometimes musos.... just......just..... Gah...well you know!! you'll have "been there" (quwim/kwim :) )
W
and to think I said I was "out"
good fun, a bit of a "shout"every now and then!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='853368' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:28 AM']The fact Im on half term holiday, means I've been here a lot over the past few days.

In my curmudgeonly old way, its got me thinking about lots of Bass related topics/stories.

For me, one that keeps coming back to me is one, that even with hindsight/time still irritates me, when I mentally recount it. Its about being "slagged off" by another musician. that I can cope with (really, I can,Honestly, we all get that from time to time!!) but.....Well..let me share...

I was playing at WMC somewhere (bad start I suppose!) and the drummer had invited an aquaintance (Bassplayer) down to watch. he sat and chatted with said drummer through our break and spent the whole time slagging of my "tone" & kit (according to the drummer) and how his was so "much better"

Now "tone" is fairly subjective anyway. but what really piss#s me off, is the fact that having been told of this guys fairly vitrolic tirade, (and his "tone" & kit & much superior knowledge to mine) he was quite "put out"/offended that when meeting him, at the bar I completley blanked him!! ( not rude, you understand, just blanked, you know;
Him: "allright mate?"
Me:(reponse) nada, nowt, nothing. BTW)
like I should be greatful for his "advice" !
two faced old womans "bits" :)

say it to my face and dont EVER call me mate!! was the thing.

is it just me?...probably is, it was years ago but still makes me cross to this day that this guy didnt get why ANYONE could ignore him depite his own dualfaced rudeness. the very zenith of arrogance! :rolleyes:

Rant over,but KWIM?

(feeling better now!)....let it go....and.....relax.....
W[/quote]

OMG...it was you!!!!! I didnt actually say your sound was sh*te, to be fair!